• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Nationals open to moving Juan Soto after he rejects $440 million extension

mmc

1 minute ago, Slegnaac said:

Soto is a rental.

Unless you can get him to agree to a contract, how could the Angels possibly give Adell, Marsh, etc. For him?

The Angels thought they had Greinke and Teixeira for more than half a season.

I don't see any chance he gets traded to the Angels. 

He isn’t a free agent until after the 2024 season. So not really a rental. 

I think Soto is looking at Trout's 12 year - 426 million extension as a comparison.  15 years - 532.5 will be a match in terms of AAV, but Soto is also 2 years away from free agency.  He's a great hitter with a great understanding of the strike zone.  I don't blame Soto to pass on the deal.  If Soto keeps this up, he can potentially get 40+ mil AAV if he hits free agency. 

Soto is probably the best bet to be the top hitter in the majors over the next decade. But due to limited baserunning and defensive abilities, he's more of a 7 WAR guy than a 9 WAR guy like prime Trout. Maybe he has one or two seasons over 8 WAR, but I think his prime level is more in the 7-8 range. Still, one of the best players in the game, and arguably the best hitter already: He's got a career wRC+ of 155, which is third best from 2018-22, and his 165 wRC+ from 2020-22 is tied with Harper, just behind Trout at 170.

He might want to go for a 12-15 year deal that isn't backloaded, and has a player opt out after 6 or 8 years. Six years means he could return to free agency at age 30, 8 years at age 32. So maybe:

12 x 35 = $420M, with player opt out. Starting next year: 20, 25, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40.

Not sure how he could refuse that, but...

These guys. They’ve been swinging these bats since they were little kids. Have no comprehension of what this amount of money is. So once they do get the near-half-bullion dollar contract, they sink into complacency? F-that!

How many more 400+ million dollar contracts can still be shelled out by the handful of teams still being able to do so?

Yes, absolutely  focus on signing Ohtani. 

2 minutes ago, 79CAAman said:

These guys. They’ve been swinging these bats since they were little kids. Have no comprehension of what this amount of money is. So once they do get the near-half-bullion dollar contract, they sink into complacency? F-that!

How many more 400+ million dollar contracts can still be shelled out by the handful of teams still being able to do so?

Yes, absolutely  focus on signing Ohtani. 

He’s about the best bet to live up to a big contract because of his age.
Oh and I’d give Soto $400 million before I give that same $400 million to Ohtani. 

That's a lot of money he turned down, but he probably just wants to get out of there after the team burned it all down and likely won't be competitive for a long time. 

Their team is terrible and their farm is terrible.

That said it would take a FUCKING haul to obtain him in a trade. 

5 minutes ago, Ender said:

That's a lot of money he turned down, but he probably just wants to get out of there after the team burned it all down and likely won't be competitive for a long time. 

You will be able to copy and paste this when Ohtani decides to explore free agency.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

I've said this before about other possibilities, but if we want Ohtani to stay, we need to convince him we're serious about trying to win.  Getting Soto would certainly do that.  I don't think we have any shot as I don't think their pool is good enough but pretty much everything should be on the table here if we're truly trying to compete with Trout and Ohtani.

Ohtani is gone, 7 losing seasons is all Sho needs to see.

59 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Soto is a rental.

Unless you can get him to agree to a contract, how could the Angels possibly give Adell, Marsh, etc. For him?

The Angels thought they had Greinke and Teixeira for more than half a season.

I don't see any chance he gets traded to the Angels. 

He will end up with Dodgers or Mets.

20 minutes ago, Ender said:

This same post could be about Ohtani.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

I've said this before about other possibilities, but if we want Ohtani to stay, we need to convince him we're serious about trying to win.  Getting Soto would certainly do that.  I don't think we have any shot as I don't think their pool is good enough but pretty much everything should be on the table here if we're truly trying to compete with Trout and Ohtani.

this is going to sound super bitchy on my part, but here goes. 

when have the angels ever shown that they're truly trying to compete with trout and ohtani? they never fully commit to addressing all their needs in any given offseason. they put a few band aids on some areas of need, then just kind of ignore the rest. what's changed? trout is older and unable to stay on the field and ohtani is nearing a cut off date. the only way they're going to truly compete right now is to go full yankees/dodgers with the payroll and they're simply not going to do that.

i actually give perry some credit for this past offseason. he did his best to address as many needs as he could within what is now a tight budget. it worked out perfectly for the first 20% of the season, but has now blown up in his face. as i see it, there are often discussed organizational issues that need to be addressed that are just over his head and ability to fix.