• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Who the Angels can trade for value

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

This isn't true and it's because of expanded playoffs. I am mostly referring to Noah. It's why I SOOOOO hoped last year would finally be when Arte does a mine fire sale. It was a total sellers market and that delusional fossil did what he always does. I am sure there are some teams out there that need bullpen help and have the staff that knows what is wrong with, can fix and would be willing to trade for them. I really think Ward should be traded too but he is not a project like Adell and Marsh and can help the team win right now which is what Moreno wants so I doubt he gets moved. Ward is way cheaper than all those pitchers mentioned so unless this team is ready to go full time with Detmers and Silseth and some other young pitchers and is ready for Adell to stay in RF full time, I expect this deadline to be like most Angels deadlines. I wouldn't be surprised if Moreno adds a batter or pitcher because he is drooling over the remote possibility of that 3rd wildcard. Forget the fact that all the teams in front of them are better and will most likely add to their roster too. We see the same thing year after year after year after year with Moreno. What makes anyone think this year is any different?

Well if this year won’t be any different then why would you predict he buys?  He hasn’t done that in 6 years. 

I'm of the opinion that Priority A, B, and C should be one thing - trying to dump as much of Rendon's contract as possible.  More than likely, that's Mission Impossible, but they need to try.  It impacts so many things for the organization - from keeping Ohtani, to making moves to build a more well-rounded club.

Now, obviously, this is for winter, but I think there's basically only one guy (taking out Ohtani and Trout from this discussion) that could lead to maybe some organization taking on a chunk of that salary, and I think that's Sandoval.  Problem is, the cost of a Sandoval-like player on the market is going to be at least 15 million per, if not more, so you'd want more savings than that to justify a move.

Don't get me wrong - I'm guessing the end game on the Rendon deal is at some point, they'll buy him out.  But they need to explore trying to dump as much of that salary as best as possible.

___

Category B of trade candidates for mid-season, IMO, are the, "You think about it ... but ... " players, and there's two - 

a)  Syndegaard - I'm not sure this Syndegaard, with that deal, being a pure rental, and his performance this year, nets a whole lot in return.  That said, maybe he gets stronger next year.  If the relationship is solid and you think you can get him back on a solid incentive laden deal for a few years, then not dealing him isn't a bad idea.  It actually makes sense.  With Ohtani/Sandoval/Syndegaard, plus the younger guys (Suarez/Silseth/Detmers) battling it out for 5/6, you move on from Lorenzen and look for an innings-eating middle rotation arm in FA, and the rotation looks solid, on paper.

b)  Ward - The article about Ward's swing changes seems to suggest that the Angels weren't necessarily supportive of it at first.  That said, if they believe Ward's swing changes are legitimate, then you keep him.  Don't extend him - at his age, and arb status, just play it out.  That said, if you don't believe in his changes long term (of course, can the Angels make the correct assessment might be a fair question), then shopping him with some cost-control in his "breakout" year makes sense.  There's going to be teams searching for bats.

____

3rd category are pen arms - 

a)  Iglesias - I think some of you under-estimate what he can bring back.  Yes, the deal isn't great.  He's had bad moments this year.  Still, the peripherals are solid.  He's "proven" and there doesn't seem to be a loss of stuff of a significant amount (not sure about the fastball velo decline).  I think, of all the possible trade options, he might be the only non-Ohtani/Trout/Sandoval trade that could potentially net an solid upper level talent, and maybe a lottery ticket.  Teams are always looking for pen arms.  The contract may limit which teams can look, but I'd bet some team is willing to pay that amount, push come to shove.

b)  Anyone else (but specifically Aaron Loup) - Even the peripherals on Loup aren't all that bad.  Teams pay for track record to begin with, and there's going to be some hope that Loup can be stronger in the 2nd half.  I think a team will give up a typical middle relief pen trade package (maybe a low level lottery ticket?  or middling upper level prospect?), and considering the financial limitations due to the massive deals, clearing Loup off the board when he doesn't matter for the near term makes sense.  I think teams will like the club option as well.  The other two main guys would Tepera and Bradley.  I actually think it's possible a team takes a flyer on Bradley - doubt you'd get anything of value in return outside of some A ball or Rooke League lotto ticket, but you can sign guys like that each year.  Tepera might be a harder move, but I wouldn't rule it out since all teams are looking for pen help, and as noted, teams do pay for track record.  Wouldn't expect much in a Tepera deal.

_____

After that, I really wouldn't expect much.  I mean, I saw someone mention Barria, but I'm not convinced anyone he'll net much or that teams will go after him.  You aren't moving any of the young arms barring a surprising return.  Walsh isn't netting much.  Moving Marsh or Adell now makes little sense, with their value at a low, while still having enough upside to at least wonder on, so you keep them and hope a switch flips.  Oh, I guess I should add I don't expect Ohtani or Trout to be dealt now, but obviously, both could net a huge return.

For an organziation that desperately needs to restock, there really isn't a lot to sell that can net interestinig returns, barring an Ohtani or Trout trade.  That said, simply clearing the deck of some veterans, reallocating money and resources, and not rushing young talent will be a big plus for them.  If the intent is to keep Ohtani/Trout and make a push, they need to plan to add bats AND arms, because they can't go into 2023 thinking that their rotation this year will stay solid.  Honestly, in the winter, I'd look around the upper levels of the minors or young major leaguers and see if there are guys who are stuck (there are always guys like that) who you can pry away that might make good depth and competition.  The fact that Mackinnon was the next guy up says a lot.

4 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

If I were the GM, I'm not trading Sandoval unless I get a Top 25-50 prospect, and a draft choice, in return.  

Thor, same thing.  

And the biggest problem with trading those two is that we would have to fill the holes that they leave in the rotation. 

No one' giving that up for Thor right now.  I can see a team fork over a Top 50 for Sandoval, but that makes little sense for the Angels.

8 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

If I were the GM, I'm not trading Sandoval unless I get a Top 25-50 prospect, and a draft choice, in return.  

Thor, same thing.  

And the biggest problem with trading those two is that we would have to fill the holes that they leave in the rotation. 

I wouldn’t trade Sandoval at all 

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well if this year won’t be any different then why would you predict he buys?  He hasn’t done that in 6 years. 

This.
Anyone still holding out hope for Arte to suddenyl go ham on payroll, please, for your own good, stop folding your breath.  If anything hes proven the opposite.
No more talk of "the right guy"... in fact no more talk from him period.
We know who he is at this point, hes all about revenue, not winning.
He wont trade guys that make him money, even if he should to better the team, and he wont spend arounf generational talents that any other owner not based on Oakland would love to have the opportunity to do. 

37 minutes ago, floplag said:

This.
Anyone still holding out hope for Arte to suddenyl go ham on payroll, please, for your own good, stop folding your breath.  If anything hes proven the opposite.
No more talk of "the right guy"... in fact no more talk from him period.
We know who he is at this point, hes all about revenue, not winning.
He wont trade guys that make him money, even if he should to better the team, and he wont spend arounf generational talents that any other owner not based on Oakland would love to have the opportunity to do. 

I read that and I have no idea what it says.

I hate the philosophy of let's have a fire sale when we are not going to be making the playoffs.....especially giving away pitching we will need next year (and hopefully to build SOME momentum the rest of the year).  Sure there are some contracts that make sense but it's not like we should get rid of good players just to help playoff teams.  

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If anyone is the right guy it’s Ohtani. 

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If anyone is the right guy it’s Ohtani. 

I agree except not right guy for a team that needs to be in rebuild mode. Big start for Snydergaaed tonight. Good start will improve his value.