• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How do we fix this realistically?

1 hour ago, Lou said:

The dodgers and Yankees are in a league of their own. The Mets added $80+ million to their payroll this year. You can't expect us to spend like any of those teams. 

Maybe not those 3, the Yankees have the lowest of those 3, and even they are at $250 million which is $60 million above what we are doing, but what about the Padres at $217 million?  Is it unreasonable to think that if Arte were serious about putting this team into the best position to break through, he could add $30 million to the payroll and be at $220, which is still $10 million under the tax?

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Maybe not those 3, the Yankees have the lowest of those 3, and even they are at $250 million which is $60 million above what we are doing, but what about the Padres at $217 million?  Is it unreasonable to think that if Arte were serious about putting this team into the best position to break through, he could add $30 million to the payroll and be at $220, which is still $10 million under the tax?

Don't bother.

Its really tough to say what we can do with the 3rd wildcard and lack of options on the market. Personally I would Buy and sell and try to improve this team. 

Like I said, it's a thin list of players that we can add to improve, but there are hidden gems that could help. 

1. Josh bell, LOW STRIKE OUT, HIGH OBP guy, that could add a much needed boost to the lineup! Currently he's hitting, 318 with a 399 OBp and 12 Hrs. We can easily slot him in the middle of the line-up. Another thing to note, all of the teams in the races, do not need a 1st baseman or Dh, therefore the price should not be high. Trade for Bell, move Walsh to Left and you fix two problems. 

Pros: Low cost, really good OBP and Player, could play 1st/and outfield. Could also be re-signed at an good price

Cons: move's Walsh to Of, could effect the defense and also guys like Marsh adn adell. 

2. David Robertson, he may be the best Bp arm availabe this year and could be a battle to get him but he's back to being good. 

3. Jeff Hoffman, Could be a cheap options.

4. Bass, No clue if MIA is sellinr not, but he could be a solid BP arm. 

5. Drury, something tells me that it's going to be fight to get Drury, there are alot that worries be about Drury, and price may be a little to high

6. Brian Anderson, Similar to Bass, not sure where Mia is at the moment, but Anderson could nice get. he's have an extra year of control. Plus can play 2nd.

Personally if we Could sping a deal for Bell, I'd move Walsh to left and than get either one of Robertson or Bass plus another hoffman type of arm, I feel better going into the second half aiming for that 3rd wildcard.  If we can add a guy like Anderson, that also improves the team. 

On the Sell Options, I would look to see if Noah can get us a good return, if not keep him. 

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

This is only the 3rd year in franchise history that they've been over $100M.

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Actually they reversed their decision to furlough them In June of that year after MLB lifted the ban on in-person scouting...

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2020/06/19/Franchises/Angels.aspx

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Check the increase in his net worth since buying the team.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

No. Why would I care about that?

1 hour ago, Lou said:

To see his good business decision.

Most fans don’t care about his net worth or his business decisions. The concern and constant discussion is about his baseball decisions. That’s what is being questioned.

6 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Most fans don’t care about his net worth or his business decisions. The concern and constant discussion is about his baseball decisions. That’s what is being questioned.

If you had followed the discussion, you would have realized that my responses were related to this post:

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

No, it's a terrible excuse. "Artie" is able to spend just as much as those teams. He has just chosen not to. Because.

That comment correlates to his business decisions, not his baseball decisions. And if go even further back, you'd realize that Arte's spending/financial decisions were being discussed.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

If you had followed the discussion, you would have realized that my responses were related to this post:

That comment correlates to his business decisions, not his baseball decisions. 

I did follow the discussion.  I think (although tdawg can speak for himself), tdawg believes how much Arte spends is a baseball decision.

It's all semantics.

No one is questioning Arte's business acumen.  At least, not that I'm aware of. 

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

I did follow the discussion.  I think (although tdawg can speak for himself), tdawg believes how much Arte spends is a baseball decision.

It's all semantics.

No one is questioning Arte's business acumen.  At least, not that I'm aware of. 

No, he specifically referred to spending. 

5 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Arte's level of spending has been fine. It's what the money has been spent on that's the issue. Right now we have the equivalent of a Ferrari and boat parked in front for a run-down trailer home (aka a Miami Special)

Exactly. 

2 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Arte's level of spending has been fine. It's what the money has been spent on that's the issue.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Exactly. 

I've said this exact thing many times....

So... right now at this point in time, some are arguing that Arte needs to spend more (not necessarily me).  Yes, that's a business decision, but it's also a baseball decision.

I'll drop out of this discussion now...

I think the way I'd do it, is to acquire as many potentially elite pitching prospects as possible, as close to the majors as possible. 

Accept the fact that you aren't winning in 2022, eat the rest of Syndergaard's contract and hopefully get yourself a top 100 pitching prospect. The same with Lorenzen, just with a lesser return. 

I'd shop Walsh around for a good pitching prospect as well. But, believe it or not, I wouldn't trade Adell for a pitching prospect. I'd tell Ward to move to 1B and put Adell out in LF. 

And with that, you're accepting that your offense sucks in 2022, which doesn't matter anyway since you're not making the playoffs, plus it allows Marsh, Adell and Rengifo to take their lumps so that they can be productive regulars in 2023 and beyond. 

Next, I'd start exploring prospect for prospect deals, with Jordyn Adams and Jeremiah Jackson for pitching prospects. 

The hope would be that the Angels come away with 3-4 "Max Meyer" sort of pitching prospects that certainly aren't perfect, but project toward the front of the rotation and are in AA or higher. That way, the law of averages applying, two of them pan out, two end up in relief. And among their current prospects, push Chris Rodriguez back into a starting role to see if his upside can be realized. The same with Sam Bachman, Ky Bush, Mason Erla, Chase Silseth, Griffin Canning, etc... 

And possibly the most inexcusable move of all, is I would trade Shohei Ohtani, for pitching prospects galore. And the argument is simple and similar to what you've heard before. The hope is that you get two elite pitching prospects, and conceptually, it should be easier to replicate DH production via FA. 

And finally, replicate the 2021 draft class in 2022. Use your first pick on a collegiate pitchers with upside. 

The idea is that by 2024, you've got a rotation filled with current and future aces, and an offense where Marsh, Adell and Rengifo have fully come into their own and developed into top and middle of the order hitters. 

Beyond that, I'd have a general rule for Arte. No more mega contracts unless it's extending your own player, or filling a need that you don't have in the minors and there aren't any suitable alternatives on the trade market or in future free agent classes. 

Edited by Second Base

Go to mlb.com.  Click on stats.  Go to obp.  See how many of the players in the top 15 are available for trade.  Try to acquire them.  Put them in a batting order around Trout, Ohtani, and Ward.  

When the draft comes about, repeat this process.  Draft players with elite bat to ball skills.  Do not try to alter their swings to improve launch angle, this leads to strikeouts.  

I am only half serious about this post, but for a team that has access to Rod Carew, Garret Anderson, and Chili Davis, we strike out far too much. 

Fix the scouting and development issues.  If Artie agrees and doesn’t feel as though it makes it look like we’re giving up, trade Snydergaard and/or Lorenzen, plus a reliever if possible for prospects.  Be open to adding some salary to grab a prospect.  For instance, if he’s healthy ask the Padres how they’d sweeten a deal for Wil Myers and his remaining salary (about $8M including $1M 2023 buyout.  Extend Ohtani.  Have another successful draft, last year is looking good!