• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (6/24/22): Mariners @ Angels - Trout back in the lineup at CF

mmc

Just now, Farmbuildingfan said:

A change is more likely to bring an upside tham a downside

Ok but why?  I mean obviously Arte hasn’t been able to build a winner but he spends.  How are you confident the next guy will spend when he will undoubtably have a ton of debt. 

Just now, Farmbuildingfan said:

A change is more likely to bring an upside tham a downside

See the aforementioned Mets. Or the Dodgers when they changed ownership. A few big market teams that attracted very wealthy ownership willing to go into the luxury tax. Arte has been the constant in this decade of being mediocre or worse - I agree, a change is more likely to bring postive changes

1 minute ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

See the aforementioned Mets. Or the Dodgers when they changed ownership. A few big market teams that attracted very wealthy ownership willing to go into the luxury tax. Arte has been the constant in this decade of being mediocre or worse - I agree, a change is more likely to bring postive changes

Yes if we can get an uber-wealthy owner then fantastic. But if it’s another Arte will a $4billion net worth the team will be in worse shape short term. 

Just now, Stradling said:

Ok but why?  I mean obviously Arte hasn’t been able to build a winner but he spends.  How are you confident the next guy will spend when he will undoubtably have a ton of debt. 

I don't want him to spend as much as I want  him to build. And when he does spend, odds are he will do it with greater wisdom

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes if we can get an uber-wealthy owner then fantastic. But if it’s another Arte will a $4billion net worth the team will be in worse shape short term. 

Sure, although perhaps a new owner doesn't get involved the way Arte has been rumored to in the past (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Rendon) which could be a positive. In any event, I find it far more likely a wealthier ownership group comes in, willing to go into the luxury tax and build depth instead of the disaster of a budgeted MIF plan we entered the season with.

Just now, HeavenlyHalos said:

Sure, although perhaps a new owner doesn't get involved the way Arte has been rumored to in the past (Pujols, Hamilton, Wells, Rendon) which could be a positive. In any event, I find it far more likely a wealthier ownership group comes in, willing to go into the luxury tax and build depth instead of the disaster of a MIF plan we entered the season with.

I guess when I look at it I see what they tried to do and can’t be as critical as the next guy. They tried to solve pitching and skimped on MIF because of that. They spread all the money on pitching. The guys they chose to sign for the pen was The Who’s who of guys we all wanted. Loup and Tepera were at the top of our lists along with resigning Iglesias. Bradley was a bonus veteran arm. I was on team SS.  I felt SS was a bigger need than a second starting pitcher. Am I disappointed with the results, of course.  Am I upset at what they tried to do, not really. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I guess when I look at it I see what they tried to do and can’t be as critical as the next guy. They tried to solve pitching and skimped on MIF because of that. They spread all the money on pitching. The guys they chose to sign for the pen was The Who’s who of guys we all wanted. Loup and Tepera were at the top of our lists along with resigning Iglesias. Bradley was a bonus veteran arm. I was on team SS.  I felt SS was a bigger need than a second starting pitcher. Am I disappointed with the results, of course.  Am I upset at what they tried to do, not really. 

Right but my point is that new ownership might go more the way of the Dodgers and Mets when they changed ownership and not operate within the constraints of the tax and try to fix both the pitching and MIF issues (or whatever issues the team has at the time) instead of only focusing on one problem.

4 hours ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Right but my point is that new ownership might go more the way of the Dodgers and Mets when they changed ownership and not operate within the constraints of the tax and try to fix both the pitching and MIF issues (or whatever issues the team has at the time) instead of only focusing on one problem.

Steve Ballmer ($56 billion net worth) would look at the tax threshold the same way Guggenheim does in L.A.

And hopefully leaves the decision making to a baseball savvy FO, and no more aging big money FAs from other teams.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Steve Ballmer ($56 billion net worth) would look at the tax threshold the same way Guggenheim does in L.A.

And hopefully leaves the decision making to a baseball savvy FO, and no more aging big money FAs from other teams.

Ha.

How has that worked out for the Clippers, where you only need a couple of stars to contend for a title? 

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

I agree. Most of the signings have been disappointing in hindsight but looked decent at the time. The bullpen has been bad but should turn it around.

Id imagine the FO is underwhelmed with Syndergaard in particular. He was supposed to be a high risk high reward deal. We all thought he was going to be a Verlander/Ohtani if he didn’t get hurt. I don’t think anyone thought he was going to be this average IF he was able to stay this healthy.

3 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

I agree. Most of the signings have been disappointing in hindsight but looked decent at the time. The bullpen has been bad but should turn it around.

Id imagine the FO is underwhelmed with Syndergaard in particular. He was supposed to be a high risk high reward deal. We all thought he was going to be a Verlander/Ohtani if he didn’t get hurt. I don’t think anyone thought he was going to be this average IF he was able to stay this healthy.

With Syndergaard the deal only made sense as a multi year deal because first year returning from TJ surgery is hit or miss with mostly miss. His k’s are way down but he’s basically a league average pitcher. He’s a very expensive one year upgrade over most arms we had start last year. 

8 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

He's been solid. About average.

But for $21 million? Fuck that.

Lorenzen has also been disappointing, but I'm not sure what I expected. He's a perfectly fine 4-5 starter, though.

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He's been solid. About average.

But for $21 million? Fuck that.

Lorenzen has also been disappointing, but I'm not sure what I expected. He's a perfectly fine 4-5 starter, though.

It’s really weird what we all think of these signings and the seasons they are having. With Lorenzen this is what I was hoping we’d get out of him.  League average starter that’s gotten us through six innings in 2/3 of his starts. I assumed that was about his ceiling. I thought he’d strike out more hitters but I’m pleasantly surprised by his ability to pitch deeper into games by todays standards. I’d be perfectly fine giving him an extension if he keeps this up. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s really weird what we all think of these signings and the seasons they are having. With Lorenzen this is what I was hoping we’d get out of him.  League average starter that’s gotten us through six innings in 2/3 of his starts. I assumed that was about his ceiling. I thought he’d strike out more hitters but I’m pleasantly surprised by his ability to pitch deeper into games by todays standards. I’d be perfectly fine giving him an extension if he keeps this up. 

At the same time it’s late June and he could absolutely run out of gas. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

At the same time it’s late June and he could absolutely run out of gas. 

He already is. Last night was really disappointing: he threw 85 pitches in 3 innings. Maybe it was a fluke for him, but I don’t know.