• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

LAT: If the Angels hire a new manager, here’s their guy

I’ve been wanting this to happen for years. I honestly liked Ersty’s speech the other day more than Kingfish’s. That’s not saying Kingfish didn’t have a good speech, I just found Ersty to be more succinct and less rehearsed—he’d be great in the clubhouse. Both guys are leaders, but Ersty would be a better manager.

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like Erstad a lot.  I love his attitude and I love what he did for the team.  I have no idea if he would be a good major league manager.  However if college coaching success is any indication then he won’t be a good manager.

Why do you say that? He did a good job at Nebraska.

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

College is all about drafting. Erstad won't be a part of that so his job is less involved in acquisitions and more about getting those players on the same page. I think his college experience give him the tools for that. 

OK this makes a lot of sense.

I have no idea if Erstad would make a good manager.  I believe it would be popular with a lot of fans, but that alone isn't a reason to put him in that role.  He was a good leader as a player (from what I could tell), but again - I don't know how that translates.  I imagine coaching 18-22 year olds is a lot different than coaching major league players.  I'd like to see how the rest of the season plays out under Nevin....  I mean, as players they were both red asses... and Nevin has already shown that "firey" side some fans have been craving.  I get that appeal... it feels good, etc. - but I'm curious to see how the team responds moving forward.

1 hour ago, True Grich said:

Nevin has already shown that "firey" side some fans have been craving.

Has Nevin really shown that as Angels manager yet?

He had that one ejection this week, but every manager gets heated during an ejection every once in a while.

I doubt the Angels end up hiring a first-time manager this offseason if they don’t bring Nevin back because of one person: Arte.

Arte is gonna want another “name” and will point towards the lack of success by Ausmus and Nevin (in an extremely small and unfair sample) as the reason why he wants experience (even though Maddon didn’t work out).

My fear is it ends up being someone like Bobby Valentine or Tony La Russa and this organization deteriorates even further than it already has.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I doubt the Angels end up hiring a first-time manager this offseason if they don’t bring Nevin back because of one person: Arte.

Arte is gonna want another “name” and will point towards the lack of success by Ausmus and Nevin (in an extremely small and unfair sample) as the reason why he wants experience (even though Maddon didn’t work out).

My fear is it ends up being someone like Bobby Valentine or Tony La Russa and this organization deteriorates even further than it already has.

It won’t be either of those guys, zero reason to believe they’d even get an interview.  

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It won’t be either of those guys, zero reason to believe they’d even get an interview.  

One of the many things I find interesting (to put it nicely) is how some AW regulars will make a statement like that and say it with some sort of authority.  Claude did this all the time. The truth is we don't know.  We can speculate but to say there's "zero reason" - is kind of foolish.  It's the kind of thing that gets Lou'd all the time.  Not trying to single you out Strad - lots of  AW folks do this and some more than others (not necessarily you).  It's one of the things that made Claude a pain in the butt.

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s not a good reason, but there is a reason to believe they’d even get an interview:

- Perry’s is friends with Bobby Valentine and Perry’s father was Bobby Valentine’s assistant in Texas.

- Arte Moreno is friends with Tony La Russa and was reportedly with him drinking in Arizona before Tony’s DUI.

1 minute ago, True Grich said:

One of the many things I find interesting (to put it nicely) is how some AW regulars will make a statement like that and say it with some sort of authority.  Claude did this all the time. The truth is we don't know.  We can speculate but to say there's "zero reason" - is kind of foolish.  It's the kind of thing that gets Lou'd all the time.  Not trying to single you out Strad - lots of  AW folks do this and some more than others (not necessarily you).  It's one of the things that made Claude a pain in the butt.

2a3.jpg

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

It’s not a good reason, but there is a reason to believe they’d even get an interview:

- Perry’s is friends with Bobby Valentine and Perry’s father was Bobby Valentine’s assistant in Texas.

- Arte Moreno is friends with Tony La Russa and was reportedly with him drinking in Arizona before Tony’s DUI.

Did either of them get an interview when Ausmus was hired?  To me Minasian is going to get to pick his manager.  If Arte trusted him to fire Maddon who by all reports was Arte’s guy, then he will trust him enough to hire his replacement. 

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Did either of them get an interview when Ausmus was hired?

Minasian wasn’t the GM when Ausmus was hired, so the Bobby Valentine connection wasn’t there at that time.

La Russa hadn't expressed interest in being a manager again when Ausmus was hired.

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

To me Minasian is going to get to pick his manager.  If Arte trusted him to fire Maddon who by all reports was Arte’s guy, then he will trust him enough to hire his replacement. 

That’s a logical assumption, but who is to say that Arte won’t do something illogical?

It’s also possible that Arte could lose trust in Minasian in the time between Maddon’s firing and the offseason. Perry’s horrible job building position player depth is getting exposed right now and could be one of many reasons for Arte to start losing trust in Minasian.