• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Taylor Ward is not an option to fill Angels’ hole at third base

ANAHEIM — Taylor Ward played third base when he came to the majors in 2018 and again in 2019, so there’s been a question of whether the Angels outfielder could go back to that position now that third baseman Anthony Rendon is out for the season.

That question was answered with a resounding no on Monday.

Ward said he hasn’t worked out at third in years. The few ground balls he took in the infield during spring training were at first.

“I feel like I help the team better in the outfield,” Ward said. “I feel I’m way better out there. I’m open to any discussion they have, but I love right field. I love the outfield.”

Ward struggled defensively at third in the majors, which is why the Angels moved him to the outfield, where he has been much better.

Manager Phil Nevin also said there’s been no discussion of moving Ward.

“He’s one of the best right fielders in the game,” Nevin said. “He’s been moved around his entire career and you know, in an emergency, I know he can do things, but Taylor’s at leadoff and he’s going play right field and we feel really good about that. He’s bounced around a lot in his career, position-wise, and right now with the sense of comfort in right field, we would like to keep him there.”

General Manager Perry Minasian, who addressed a variety of topics with the media on Monday, said the front office would look outside the organization to find help, just as it does for all positions all the time.

“We’re always trying to make improvements,” Minasian said. “We’re always looking for ways to improve this club from the outside, from the inside. Matt Duffy’s (at third) right now. He’s had a pretty good career track record. It’s a pretty good career up to this point. So we expect him to be productive. We’re always looking for ways to improve.”

The internal options at third also include Tyler Wade and Luis Rengifo.

The trade deadline is Aug. 2 this year, and Minasian said any trade discussions would likely gain steam closer to that date.

ADELL UPDATE

Outfielder Jo Adell had a brief stint in his second trip to the big leagues during the Angels’ last homestand. Minasian said he’s been impressed that Adell continues to make progress.

“I think (he’s improved at) base running, defense, offense,” Minasian said. “He’s a really young player. I think for him just to continue to get everyday at-bats was really important. He’s going down there and he’s had the right attitude. That’s what really impressive. We’ve all seen certain players in the past who go up and go down and can take a certain type of attitude to Triple-A. They might not necessarily perform or work the way they should and he’s been the exact opposite. He’s been awesome. It’s a testament to him and his makeup.”

Adell is hitting .200 with an .820 OPS at Triple-A. He hit .250 with a .693 OPS in the majors.

FLETCHER UPDATE

Infielder David Fletcher (hip surgery) said he has been running and throwing and hitting flips and off a tee. He still has not taken ground balls, but that’s coming soon.

Fletcher said he is expecting to do a rehab assignment, which could still be “a couple weeks away.”

Fletcher is eligible to come off the injured list on July 7. He said he will “probably not” make that date, but “I don’t think too far after.”

NOTES

The Angels optioned left-hander Kenny Rosenberg and recalled right-hander Janson Junk to provide some more coverage for the bullpen. Several relievers who worked on Saturday and Sunday would not be available to pitch on Monday. The Angels couldn’t bring Rosenberg back the next time they need a sixth starter (barring an injury) because he will need to be down for 15 days. They could use Jhonathan Diaz, José Suarez or Chase Silseth, though. Suarez does not need to be down for 15 days because he was called up as the 27th man for the doubleheader on Saturday. …

The Rocket City Trash Pandas, the Angels’ Double-A affiliate in Madison, Alabama, clinched the first-half division title in the Southern League.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Reid Detmers, 2-3, 4.25) vs. Royals (RHP Jonathan Heasley, 1-3, 3.72), Tuesday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

Bring up Adell, so his defense hurts us a bit, this team can certainly use his pop.  I think this team will get back some of what it's missing once Fletcher is back in the lineup.  I'm hoping this team goes into the second half with both Adell and Fletcher in the lineup and if they don't make it with both of them in the lineup, the baseball gods are not smiling down on the Angels, Perry can start clearing his desk.