• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Perry Minasian

34 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Or a punt on another high risk scrap heap arm to stay in the budget?

I'll take Detmers.  

I'm not saying that Detmers is bad, just that he's not some brilliant insight by Perry. He was a top pitching prospect in AAA, and hasn't exactly sparkled in the major leagues, simply been adequate. He could have gone with Barria, Diaz, or Junk, and probably gotten similar production. At least this year - obviously Detmers has more upside. Again, the point being: Detmers' performance this year isn't worthy of accolades for Perry.

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

He released Upton because of Ward.

And because of Marsh and Adell. The Angels felt like they had five possible starters, and only needed four; Upton was seen as the 5th best. Then Ward's performance in spring made Maddon declare him a starter, and Marsh/Adell a platoon. Upton was seen as superfluous. 

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Has it, though? He's been vaguely decent, but a 4.20 ERA, 4.85 FIP, and 0.2 WAR = 100th out of 120 starters with at least 40 IP. Meaning, he's holding on as a vaguely decent #5 starter. 

Wouldn't you say that was a pretty great outcome for a rookie pitcher who has pitched 28 games in total as a professional, and only 14 in MLB? One of which was a no-hitter.

I think he is way ahead of the development curve for such an inexperienced pitcher.

30 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Wouldn't you say that was a pretty great outcome for a rookie pitcher who has pitched 28 games in total as a professional, and only 14 in MLB? One of which was a no-hitter.

I think he is way ahead of the development curve for such an inexperienced pitcher.

That's not my point - I'm not criticizing Detmers or suggesting he's a bust, or even that he'll only ever be a #5.

I was questioning whether a comment from Blarg that Minasian deserves credit for trusting that Detmers would "work out." I'm not sure that Minasian deserves any credit for that, and also that it is still a rather lukewarm "working out."

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

The manager of most teams losing a dozen games in a row would be in jeopardy. It's assumed a manager should find a way, any way, to right the ship. Such as  significant lineup changes, morale boosting, rallying around something that creates solidarity, dissipating collective tension.

Maddon jumped the shark before the slump, walking Seager with the bases loaded. That kind of signified either desperation or an esoteric thought process that probably baffled the team. Players have the mindset to keep competing, no matter what the situation. By doing that Maddon indirectly gave up on the team.  Since then I don't think anything he's done has regained collective team trust. And it probably was a big red flag for Minasian and Arte. 

Too many doobies and glasses of wine?

C032102B-15F2-4E7A-BC2F-280C3E97AC27.jpeg

Edited by Angel Oracle

41 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

The important question is, were Detmers and Silseth put in the rotation too soon with very limited MiLB experience.

They answered the question on Silseth.    The next 2-3 starts may well answer it for Detmers.

2 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

The manager of most teams losing a dozen games in a row would be in jeopardy. It's assumed a manager should find a way, any way, to right the ship. Such as  significant lineup changes, morale boosting, rallying around something that creates solidarity, dissipating collective tension.

Maddon jumped the shark before the slump, walking Seager with the bases loaded. That kind of signified either desperation or an esoteric thought process that probably baffled the team. Players have the mindset to keep competing, no matter what the situation. By doing that Maddon indirectly gave up on the team.  Since then I don't think anything he's done has regained collective team trust. And it probably was a big red flag for Minasian and Arte. 

Seager ain’t no Barry Bonds.

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Why do people keep bringing up walking Seager? The Angels won that game.

They explained it explicitly already.  It is the kind of move that might make the players feel like they are not all on the same page.

We don’t know but this could be among some things that contributed to losing some of the clubhouse.

When you do that (lose some of the clubhouse) and then you also go into a 12 game tailspin, you find yourself on the hot seat.

2 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

I wish I had read this before I posted my "Defining Moments" thread.  You stated things perfectly.

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The important question is, were Detmers and Silseth put in the rotation too soon with very limited MiLB experience.

They answered the question on Silseth.    The next 2-3 starts may well answer it for Detmers.

Outside of his last game Silseth pitched pretty well.  In fact I was disappointed he was sent down.  

1 hour ago, Lou said:

His 2nd start was bad, too. 

I really don't consider that a bad start, not hood but not bad.  He pitched 4 innings of 1 run ball.  He gave up 2 rubs in 5th.  Shit happens 

His ERA after two ganes was 2.61

ERA after three games 3.07.

6 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I really don't consider that a bad start, not hood but not bad.  He pitched 4 innings of 1 run ball.  He gave up 2 rubs in 5th.  Shit happens 

His ERA after two ganes was 2.61

ERA after three games 3.07.

It was a bad start. 

4.1 IP  3 ER  6 Hits  2 HR  2 BB 

You can't base whether that start is good while including his first start.  That's like saying all of his starts were bad because he has an ERA of 4.96 and a whip of 1.469

He had 2 bad starts in 4 games. 

44 minutes ago, Lou said:

It was a bad start. 

4.1 IP  3 ER  6 Hits  2 HR  2 BB 

You can't base whether that start is good while including his first start.  That's like saying all of his starts were bad because he has an ERA of 4.96 and a whip of 1.469

He had 2 bad starts in 4 games. 

Ok, I agree with your point.

However his ERA was 3.07 after three starts.  Then he had Phili and he goes down.  Don't know if I agree with that move.

• 2 weeks later...