• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels fire Joe Maddon, name Phil Nevin interim manager

mmc

From afar, Phil Nevin seems to have almost the exact opposite personality as Joe Maddon.

Nevin seems to be intense and unafraid of the truth. That seems similar to the way Perry is. The one question I have is how Nevin views analytics, as it seems like he could be an old-school type. Then again, he was previously with a progressive org in the Yankees.

If Nevin and Minasian are in lock-step, I think this could work out well.

20 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

No more excuses for Perry now moving forward. This is his roster, and the next manager will be HIS guy. I do like how quickly he makes decisions(DFA Pujols and Upton, Maddon firing), but clearly the results are not there so far. If his next manager doesn't steer this team back to the playoffs, this org will be looking for its 4th GM and 5th manager within the next couple seasons

The thing is, we don't know that Nevin is "HIS guy."

Obviously Perry hired Nevin, but he hired him as a coach and not a manager. It's possible that Perry wanted someone else (like Ray Montgomery) and Arte overruled him because he wanted Nevin.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Obviously Perry hired Nevin, but he hired him as a coach and not a manager. It's possible that Perry wanted someone else (like Ray Montgomery) and Arte overruled him because he wanted Nevin.

I don't think Nevin is his guy moving forward. Just the bandaid/interim guy for the remainder of the year and then Perry makes his hire in the offseason

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

WTF are you talking about? Seriously you make zero sense on literally every post. I'm surprised you know how to work a keyboard.

If you cannot sign or do not want to spend money on Ohtani trade him. He wants to play on a winner. So package him and Rendon. Send him to Dodgers get some young players. If this ends up being 7th straight losing season big changes need to happen. Angels in same boat in off season they will need starting pitchers. Play young cheap players, Marsh, Ward, Adell, Walsh, Rengifo start youth movement because what they are doing is NOT WORKING.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

OK, so let me get this straight.  Perry hired Nevin but Artie had to strong arm Perry into the 3rd base coach hired by Perry to be the manager?

Well you might as well imagine anything.  Maybe Artie wanted Britney Spears and Perry wanted Christina Aguilera and they compromised on Nevin?

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If you cannot sign or do not want to spend money on Ohtani trade him. He wants to play on a winner. So package him and Rendon. Send him to Dodgers get some young players. If this ends up being 7th straight losing season big changes need to happen. Angels in same boat in off season they will need starting pitchers. Play young cheap players, Marsh, Ward, Adell, Walsh, Rengifo start youth movement because what they are doing is NOT WORKING.

EVERYONE with half a brain stopped reading after your first sentence.

Edited by Dtwncbad

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

OK, so let me get this straight.  Perry hired Nevin but Artie had to strong arm Perry into the 3rd base coach hired by Perry to be the manager?

Well you might as well imagine anything.  Maybe Artie wanted Britney Spears and Perry wanted Christina Aguilera and they compromised on Nevin?

Just because Perry hired Nevin doesn't mean he's the guy Perry wanted to be manager.

Perry also hired Benji Gil, Ray Montgomery, and Bill Hasselman this offseason. He may have preferred one of them to be the manager, if given the choice.

Also, the bench coach is considered the next man up but he hired Montgomery as bench coach instead of Nevin.

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

If you cannot sign or do not want to spend money on Ohtani trade him. He wants to play on a winner. So package him and Rendon. 

How on God’s green earth are you going to “package” a guy who is probably going to be commanding 400 mil and a guy who is owed more than 200 mil together in a deal?  Come on, man.

How do you continually hook me into this shit?

Just now, PattyD22 said:

How on God’s green earth are you going to “package” a guy who is probably going to be commanding 400 mil and a guy who is owed more than 200 mil together in a deal?  Come on, man.

How do you continually hook me into this shit?

You're obviously weak. 

I have been a fan of the Angels for a very long time and I think this is one of the worst moves they front office has ever made. 

The problem isn't with Joe Maddon, it's with the players not performing. 

Everyone on this board was singing his and and the front office praise for the hot start. Now suddenly it's one guys problem. Such BS!! 

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Just because Perry hired Nevin doesn't mean he's the guy Perry wanted to be manager.

Perry also hired Benji Gil, Ray Montgomery, and Bill Hasselman this offseason. He may have preferred one of them to be the manager, if given the choice.

Also, the bench coach is considered the next man up but he hired Montgomery as bench coach instead of Nevin.

My point is the knee-jerk speculation that Arte meddled here makes no sense.  Perry likely hired a number of guys he trusts going forward.  Yes bench coaches are often next in line but isn’t it also just as likely that Perry just likes Montgomery as bench coach?

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

My point is the knee-jerk speculation that Arte meddled here makes no sense.  Perry likely hired a number of guys he trusts going forward.  Yes bench coaches are often next in line but isn’t it also just as likely that Perry just likes Montgomery as bench coach?

I'm just saying that it's possible, not that it's likely.

Hopefully we get an answer so we don't have to debate about it and know the truth. I could very well be wrong, but I just don't know right now.

4 minutes ago, Vladfan said:

I have been a fan of the Angels for a very long time and I think this is one of the worst moves they front office has ever made. 

The problem isn't with Joe Maddon, it's with the players not performing. 

Everyone on this board was singing his and and the front office praise for the hot start. Now suddenly it's one guys problem. Such BS!! 

1) Vernon Wells, Josh Hamilton, Gary Matthews Jr...this is far from one of the worst moves...

2) Can you atleast admit the problem isn't NOT with Joe Maddon? 

3) I don't recall any of us singing praise for Maddon for the hot start, in fact he got called out on this board daily for his head scratching schemes despite us winning. 

You can even talk to Cubs fans when they won the series, they feel like yeah the Cubs won, but it was no thanks to Maddon. It was more like the Cubs having to battle and overcoming the stupid moves Maddon continuously stuck his finger in. And in our case, this club just wasn't made to overcome them.

I wanted Maddon to be good, I want the Angels to win, but a 12 game losing streak eh...never knowing what Maddon was going to do or why...it's frustrating to watch.