• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

HBO:  The Climb  A reality competition about mountain/rock climbers, more on the amateur side on the cusp of being established pros.  It was really interesting, as when I picture a rock climber, I picture El Capitan, or some other formidable rock face to get to the top of a mountain.  In this competition, it's not about getting to the top, but completing a route.  Which seems to be what a majority of these climbers do.  And these routes are pretty short, like under a hundred feet.  But some gnarly stuff.  In any case, it was a good competition format.  They were competing against each other, but unlike some shows where it's cut throat and assholey, they were really supportive of each other, and genuinely seemed like they were doing it for the fun and sport.  Really good one if you like hiking/climbing.

6 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

HBO:  The Climb  A reality competition about mountain/rock climbers, more on the amateur side on the cusp of being established pros.  It was really interesting, as when I picture a rock climber, I picture El Capitan, or some other formidable rock face to get to the top of a mountain.  In this competition, it's not about getting to the top, but completing a route.  Which seems to be what a majority of these climbers do.  And these routes are pretty short, like under a hundred feet.  But some gnarly stuff.  In any case, it was a good competition format.  They were competing against each other, but unlike some shows where it's cut throat and assholey, they were really supportive of each other, and genuinely seemed like they were doing it for the fun and sport.  Really good one if you like hiking/climbing.

It was meh.

i watched the Reggie Jackson documentary last night on amazon prime. Reggie seems consumed with race. Reggie is also still pretty full of himself.

i would've liked to hear him talk about the home run in the '71 all star game or the three homers in game 6 and what it was like. he didn't discuss the '71 homer at all and the part of the 3 homers in game six barely got a mention. i thought they might also have talked about the fire that destroyed his house and classic cars, but that was skipped, too. 

it wasn't terribly interesting. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The producers choose what is in the final cut. Those storyline are probably in some rough cut version of the show they decided wasn't important. 

no doubt. and i think reggie may have been one of the producers. he said very early on in the interview something about he doesn't like things in the media that he can't control.

The Diplomat (Season One):
New Netflix show about a freshly-appointed US ambassador to the UK (Keri Russell) dealing with an international crisis amidst complex political relationships on both sides of the Atlantic. Good writing, good acting, good character development. Just an all-around well put together show. I think Netflix has already committed to a second season, and I'll definitely be watching that when it comes out. Also, Keri Russell is hot. 

1 hour ago, Don said:

New Netflix show about a freshly-appointed US ambassador to the UK (Keri Russell) dealing with an international crisis amidst complex political relationships on both sides of the Atlantic. Good writing, good acting, good character development. Just an all-around well put together show. I think Netflix has already committed to a second season, and I'll definitely be watching that when it comes out. Also, Keri Russell is hot. 

looking forward to this one.

1 hour ago, Don said:

I found it extremely average.

last_king_of_the_cross_1280x720.jpg

Aussie crime drama based on real events in Sydney's red light district in the 1970's. It's pretty well made with a really good cast (including some familiar faces from Mr Inbetween), Tim Roth is pretty good but there's nothing new here and at times I found it a bit predictable and formulaic. The show covers a long period of time which unfortunately left them short of time for deeper back-stories on the characters, so it was a little shallow in that respect, but otherwise it was fairly good. No masterpiece but worth a look.

14 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

last_king_of_the_cross_1280x720.jpg

Aussie crime drama based on real events in Sydney's red light district in the 1970's. It's pretty well made with a really good cast (including some familiar faces from Mr Inbetween), Tim Roth is pretty good but there's nothing new here and at times I found it a bit predictable and formulaic. The show covers a long period of time which unfortunately left them short of time for deeper back-stories on the characters, so it was a little shallow in that respect, but otherwise it was fairly good. No masterpiece but worth a look.

Agree with your assessment.

Spoiler

I thought they mailed in the ending. 

18 minutes ago, Lou said:

Agree with your assessment.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought they mailed in the ending. 

Spoiler

I thought they did similar with that one guy's sudden change from enforcer in a suit to bad-boy biker. A major twist with barely a mention of why and how. Two seasons for the same time period would have made for a better show.

Alone: Australia

Same format at the US version but the contestants don't seem anywhere near the same skill-level. I'm 4 episodes in and no-one is shelter-building or displaying anything other than the most basic fishing or hunting skills. It's like a parody of Aussie culture at some times and then a therapy session at others, so it's a curious watch with at least a hint of Schadenfreude seeing what seem like amateur survivalists make some pretty basic errors. If you like Alone, it's worth a look for the comparison. Will add more when I've watched the whole season.

3 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Same format at the US version but the contestants don't seem anywhere near the same skill-level. I'm 4 episodes in and no-one is shelter-building or displaying anything other than the most basic fishing or hunting skills. It's like a parody of Aussie culture at some times and then a therapy session at others, so it's a curious watch with at least a hint of Schadenfreude seeing what seem like amateur survivalists make some pretty basic errors. If you like Alone, it's worth a look for the comparison. Will add more when I've watched the whole season.

They could kill a spider, and it will feed them for 3 days.  Will check it out though.

5 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Not sure where they found these people. They don't compare with those on the US show. 

"I miss my family"

Yeah, no shit. That's why the show is called ALONE. 

Prime:  Marvelous Ms Maisel Final Season 5   This was a weird season.  Almost like it was supposed to go another 3 seasons, but they realized what they wrote the previous seasons was not cutting it, so they crammed it all in to get to the end.  I think this would have been a better series if it was 3 seasons long.  Or at least put the 5 seasons into 3 seasons, then go another 2 seasons.  Anyways, if you are invested, finish it.  If you aren't then just watch the last few episodes and get some closure.  You won't be missing much.

54 minutes ago, Lou said:

Not sure where they found these people. They don't compare with those on the US show. 

"I miss my family"

Yeah, no shit. That's why the show is called ALONE. 

Me and my camping buddies laugh at those people.  We do feel sorry for the guys and girls that get pulled due to some medical technicallity though.