• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Ted Lasso. Watched the first season after @Taylor's recommendation and I enjoyed it considerably more than I was anticipating. It's quite schmaltzy, but with so much grit on TV these days it makes a pleasant detour into something more positive. Laugh out loud funny a couple of times per episode and the writers have done such a fantastic job of capturing the essence of British culture that I am genuinely surprised it's an American production. I can only imagine some of the writing staff have lived over here for a while.

A fantastic soundtrack features the likes of The Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones, ELO, Dave Clark Five, and many more, and it somehow made me un-hate Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up. The cultural TV references often include the actual presenters from the real shows they are parodying which adds an air of authenticity for British viewers. The script is tight, the cast excellent, and the directing solid, and although it's set around football it's a show about personal growth and relationships of all kinds.

With the caveat that I may well be biased as I adore that part of London, have followed the Premier League for 30 years, and have really enjoyed the musical trip down memory lane, it's a very good show, very well made, and a credit to those involved.

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

Ted Lasso. Watched the first season after @Taylor's recommendation and I enjoyed it considerably more than I was anticipating. It's quite schmaltzy, but with so much grit on TV these days it makes a pleasant detour into something more positive. Laugh out loud funny a couple of times per episode and the writers have done such a fantastic job of capturing the essence of British culture that I am genuinely surprised it's an American production. I can only imagine some of the writing staff have lived over here for a while.

A fantastic soundtrack features the likes of The Sex Pistols, The Rolling Stones, ELO, Dave Clark Five, and many more, and it somehow made me un-hate Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up. The cultural TV references often include the actual presenters from the real shows they are parodying which adds an air of authenticity for British viewers. The script is tight, the cast excellent, and the directing solid, and although it's set around football it's a show about personal growth and relationships of all kinds.

With the caveat that I may well be biased as I adore that part of London, have followed the Premier League for 30 years, and have really enjoyed the musical trip down memory lane, it's a very good show, very well made, and a credit to those involved.

I'm honestly impressed that not only did you already watch the show, but you watched the whole season. 

Excellent writeup. I'm super glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

Episode 2 was much better, hopefully that continues and the problems of E1 were merely pilot teething troubles.

The acting by some of the key cast members was much better, as was the direction and editing. 

Pokerface : Peacock

I wasn't sure where this was going after watching the first episode weeks ago.  Turns out it is a newer version of Columbo.  You see the crime, then get to watch the main character sort it out.  Like the old 70s detective shows, each episode is made up of guest stars.  It was entertaining.

3 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

Pokerface : Peacock

I wasn't sure where this was going after watching the first episode weeks ago.  Turns out it is a newer version of Columbo.  You see the crime, then get to watch the main character sort it out.  Like the old 70s detective shows, each episode is made up of guest stars.  It was entertaining.

Yep, it's excellent! Already renewed for season 2, too.

Finally got around to watching Season 1 of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power on Amazon Prime.

I thought it was excellent. Probably the most spectacular tv production I've ever seen. I think it exceeds Game of Thrones in terms of visuals and sound.

Supposedly there will be 5 seasons with season 2 in 2024. Looking forward to future seasons.

For LOTR fans it's a must-watch.

Netflix - War Sailor:

A newly released Norwegian short series (three episodes) about merchant marines in WWII. Specifically tracks two friends and one family from shortly before the war until a few years after. EXTREMELY well-made and acted. One of the better things I've seen in a long time. That said, it is F-ING ROUGH. Like horrifically, viscerally, deeply sad and intense. Several times I found myself thinking the scenes they were showing were much more realistic depictions of the sad, scary stuff that can happen when being hunted on the open sea than the (somewhat) glamourized version of death and destruction that you see in a lot of war films. It just sort of highlights the lack of control people have when the world is going absolutely insane around them, and you really get to understand how thoroughly reasonable it is when people slip into various forms of madness as a result.

All in all, a deeply unpleasant series that is really really good and well worth a watch. 

38 minutes ago, Don said:

Netflix - War Sailor:

A newly released Norwegian short series (three episodes) about merchant marines in WWII. Specifically tracks two friends and one family from shortly before the war until a few years after. EXTREMELY well-made and acted. One of the better things I've seen in a long time. That said, it is F-ING ROUGH. Like horrifically, viscerally, deeply sad and intense. Several times I found myself thinking the scenes they were showing were much more realistic depictions of the sad, scary stuff that can happen when being hunted on the open sea than the (somewhat) glamourized version of death and destruction that you see in a lot of war films. It just sort of highlights the lack of control people have when the world is going absolutely insane around them, and you really get to understand how thoroughly reasonable it is when people slip into various forms of madness as a result.

All in all, a deeply unpleasant series that is really really good and well worth a watch. 

Thanks. I ran across this show last night and added it to my watchlist. Now I'm looking forward to watching it.

40 minutes ago, Don said:

Netflix - War Sailor:

Watched it last night

Very graphic and moving

Good watch

On 4/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, Jay said:

Finally got around to watching Season 1 of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power on Amazon Prime.

I thought it was excellent. Probably the most spectacular tv production I've ever seen. I think it exceeds Game of Thrones in terms of visuals and sound.

Supposedly there will be 5 seasons with season 2 in 2024. Looking forward to future seasons.

Did you like The Hobbit films?

On 4/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, Jay said:

https://kotaku.com/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-of-power-series-flop-expensive-1850296353

On 4/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, Jay said:

I’m glad someone liked it.

Given the money they spent on it you’d think just about everyone would’ve…