• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

Wow, that's pretty bold. I think I only got 4 or 5 episodes in. A little slower paced than I would like, but it was good. And remembering GoT, it was kind of the same.....so the comparison makes sense.

I think it's definitely a step down from S1 of GoT but it's still close. Obviously the end of S1 of GoT is stronger, but I'd say HotD was better through about episode 8. 

HotD season 1 is all set up for the 'real story' starting in season 2, but I am fine with the slower pace.

1 hour ago, Alfred O. Griffin said:

There’s just too much damn good stuff on TV. It’s really kinda bonkers. 

I’m pumped to start HotD at some point.

This really is the golden age for tv.  No longer limited to the big 3 stations and the limited shows they produce.  Watching programs from around the world.  

And to think.  It really started, because a company took a hail mary to save their company after they saw that direct mail movies was a dying business.  

5 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

This really is the golden age for tv.  No longer limited to the big 3 stations and the limited shows they produce.  Watching programs from around the world.  

And to think.  It really started, because a company took a hail mary to save their company after they saw that direct mail movies was a dying business.  

Slightly disagree on the golden age moniker, but only because it was used previously when it was The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad. That era about a decade or two ago is what caused this and people focused on good shows and great writing. It was also the era where the paradigm shifted from movies to TV shows.

Maybe golden era 2.0 is apropos. There is way too much out now and we are also in a world of people pandering for quick attention (TikTok, YouTube, etc.) and it feels like every platform has a go to series. Not a bad place to be in for us viewers, but definitely overwhelming. I can barely finish the stuff I start because of everything out there. It reminds me of a psychological study I watched many years ago when Tivo was the first DVR type of device and what happened is people were feeling depressed or anxious because they would record shows but not watch them or didn't have the time to watch them all while their DVR kept recording stuff and suddenly compiled a "to-do list". It feels like that again.

HBO:  Last of Us  A zombie show that really focuses more on the story than on zombies.  Plus the zombies being different than the typical zombie.  Really good story, and I like how each episode is a mini complete story, but still tells a part and helps the big picture.  Based on a video game, but I haven't played it, so not sure how well it translates.  Only bad thing is you have some great characters, but they are only for that single episode, or just a few episodes.  I think most of you would enjoy it.  @Lou thoughts?  

Netflix:  MH370 The Plane that Disappeared   What a disappointing "docuseries".  It wasn't even really a docuseries but more of a let's discuss all the top conspiracy theories.  It's pretty far out there, and that's coming from someone that thinks everything is a conspiracy theory.  To me, this one put a dent in the credibility of the Netflix documentary lineup.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:22 AM, gotbeer said:

HBO:  Last of Us  A zombie show that really focuses more on the story than on zombies.  Plus the zombies being different than the typical zombie.  Really good story, and I like how each episode is a mini complete story, but still tells a part and helps the big picture.  Based on a video game, but I haven't played it, so not sure how well it translates.  Only bad thing is you have some great characters, but they are only for that single episode, or just a few episodes.  I think most of you would enjoy it.  @Lou thoughts?  

Maybe someday. I've never watched any of the zombie shows.

On 3/13/2023 at 7:24 PM, jsnpritchett said:

(Side note: if you're a fan of Ford, definitely check out Shrinking on Apple TV+.  It's the best role he's had in years--and it shows that he's a gifted comedian, too.)

Been watching this. Very funny show. 

Jason Segel is so dang likeable in everything he's in.

26 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Been watching this. Very funny show. 

Jason Segel is so dang likeable in everything he's in.

Agreed.  Big fan of Segel.

I also like that a lot of the show is shot in Pasadena, Eagle Rock, and the surrounding areas, so I recognize a lot of the locations around me.  And I'm about to head out right now to Descanso Gardens, where they filmed two sequences that were in last week's episode.

Netflix:  Dragged Across Concrete  So this is a Mel Gibson, Vince Vaughn movie that was made in 2019 and is currently #1 on Netflix's movie list.  It's a cop movie, and also a heist movie.  It's just a strange ass movie, that comes complete with a scene in which they talk about cancel culture.  The movie had potential, but it just doesn't seem to be written well.  Some small parts are interesting, then there are parts that just seem like they added to make sure it hit a certain runtime length.  You have cold blooded killers, then they go down like total amateurs.  Overall, the movie just doesn't make any kind of sense.  It's one of those, only if you are curious and have time to kill flicks, otherwise it's a hard pass.