• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

Hard pass 

The Grinch Film GIF by The Good Films

Give it a shot if you like the '83 movie.  It's not as good (though how could it be? Shepherd's narration really lends the earlier movie a distinctive sensibility that can't be fully replicated), but there's a lot to like in it and it's an emotionally satisfying continuation of the story and themes from the first movie.  My guess is that critics will be mixed, but audience ratings will be much more positive than the critics.

Watched the Tim Donhgy documentary. No real surprises other than how large of a part the NBA played in it.....but all documentaries have an initial bias or way they want to portray the film and this could just be that.

When I first heard about this I was (and still am skeptical), but it may end up being wild enough to be funny and worth a shot since it's not a kids or super hero movie.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Does it honestly look funny to you?

It looks like it might be funny. I like how it's in the same style as the original (which is my favorite Christmas movie).

It might suck, but to hard pass without giving it a watch would be very sad.

Sometimes the best comedies have terrible trailers, while the worst comedies have excellent trailers (because they put all the best jokes in the trailer).

21 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

There have been four other movies/TV specials featuring Jean Shepherd's "Ralphie" character since the 1983 A Christmas Story movie.  This one is the closest one to the '83 version in tone and spirit.

I see the story was written by the lead actor.

24 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It looks like it might be funny. I like how it's in the same style as the original (which is my favorite Christmas movie).

It might suck, but to hard pass without giving it a watch would be very sad.

Sometimes the best comedies have terrible trailers, while the worst comedies have excellent trailers (because they put all the best jokes in the trailer).

I know you're not complaining about this (at least I don't think you are), but anytime someone in a focus group complains to me that they don't like that studios put all the best parts in a trailer, I always ask, "Well, would you go see it if they showed you the bad parts?"

As for the movie in question, it's not as overtly laugh-out-loud funny as the '83 one, but it's sweet, charming, and (as I mentioned above) very emotionally satisfying.  Deals a lot with what being a dad/parent really means, the value of family legacy, etc.  It's made by people who have a deep love of the original and of Jean Shepherd's work in general.