• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

I saw "The Drop" the other night. Excellent movie. Tom Hardy is brilliant as an unassuming bartender who has some badass streaks.

I'm going to check this out in the next week.

I just started watching the show Arrow. I watched the first two last night, pretty good so far. Its got a lot of hype around it...I'll continue with it...not really big on watching a show on the CW.

I just started watching the show Arrow. I watched the first two last night, pretty good so far. Its got a lot of hype around it...I'll continue with it...not really big on watching a show on the CW.

Stick with it, but when you feel bored, I say skip to the last few episodes of season 1, and continue watching from there. The first season has some dull parts. The second season is much more comic booky.

"A Walk Among the Tombstones" - solid B.  It doesn't keep you on the edge of your seat but it keeps you interested.  It takes a few interesting turns that you don't expect.  Neeson is like the mid-90s Mel Gibson.  You know what you're gonna get and if you like that, see the movie.

"Transcendence" - F.  The GF rented this one.  She gave up on it and fell asleep about 20 minutes in.  I tried to stick it out but gave out after an hour.  Dreadful.  

Jaws.

These days, I've got such a low attention span for movies I've already seen. Jaws seems to be the only movie where I don't pick up my phone while watching it. Robert Shaw, especially the monologue about the USS Indianapolis is absolutely unbeatable.

That monologue was written by John Milius. Watched a cool doc about Jaws a few months ago and Spielberg said that they could not find anybody to write it that made it as intense as he wanted. Something like 10 different writers gave it a shot. He finally called Milius and asked him to give it a try and Milius sent it to him the next day. However, the Milius version was like twice the length that they needed for the scene, so right before they shot it, Robert Shaw edited it down to what he says in the movie. 

Die Hard, the one with his son in Russia. 4/10.

The premise was interesting, having the son and father work together on a case, but unfortunately, some moron decided it would be perfect to film most of the last half of the movie in complete darkness, making it very frustrating for viewers to see what was going on.

• 3 weeks later...

Gone Girl

Meh. Pretty predictable. From the reviews and chatter you'd think this was some great modern suspense flick, not bad but was expecting better. My girlfriend just finished the book and she made a comment about the movie, but it seems like this would be a great read. Something that hurt the experience non-movie related was I had some asshole mom behind me that felt the need to gasp, sigh, comment, laugh louder than everyone in the room, and just be an obnoxious twat.

Can't really talk about the movie without giving anything away, so....

The movie is too predictable and obvious when they present the nonchalant husband during a missing wife situation. They try too hard to lead you to thinking it's Ben Affleck, but knowing that the viewer is waiting for the twist that it wasn't him then it just plays out standard. Nothing was really surprising at all except maybe how the relationship went so bad.

Edited by Brandon

I didn't necessarily hate the ending. Just thought it was anti-climatic.

I kept wondering what Amy would do to slip up but nothing happened. Felt like it was set up for something big but nope. More of a realistic ending honestly. Point is, that broad is batshit crazy.

Yeah, when the credits started to roll everyone in the theater was like, "Is that it?" I didn't mind the ending because it fit with the way everything played out and how both sides tried to play each other, but I know a lot of people were disappointed in it that read the book or watched the movie.

I was hoping for better with all the reviews seemingly thinking this is the best movie of the year, so far. I thought it was a good movie, but wasn't blown away nor did I think the plot twists were crazy and was actually pretty standard suspense writing. I did enjoy how meticulous she was with all her steps, but they set it up so that you expected all the steps to be covered as they broke down what was obviously a setup.

Edited by Brandon

Caught-up on the four Hellraiser movies I'd been putting-off seeing... and realized why.  They all had Doug Bradley as Pinhead, and he is always worth watching in that role, but were little more than rip-offs.  A couple had some interesting ideas, then the last one (Hellworld, I believe) was just garbage.  It turned Pinhead and the Cenobites into Michael Myers-style slashers.

Movie #9 was not available on demand.  It's called Revelations, and has gotten THE most unanimous horrible reviews I've ever seen.  Come to find out that it was made in only a few weeks so that the Company could retain its' rights to the franchise.  Doug Bradley refused to appear as Pinhead because he knew how crappy it would be.

Good news is that Clive Barker and Bradley are on-board for a re-make/re-boot of the original!

*Of course, I'm trying to track-down "Revelations" for a comedy-viewing!