• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

HBO:  Righteous Gemstones  So watched the two seasons.  It was glorious. So many amazing characters with just the right amount of flaws and disfunction.  Story moves so that the characters don't become stale.  Definitely worth the watch.

I've been watching Harrow and looked up the lead character Ioan Gruffudd (horrendous name) and found he did a series 20 years ago, Hornblower, based on the book series Horratio Hornblower.

Each episode is movie length at @ 1:30 and is fairly well produced. They had little money for special effects so much of the sailing ships are actual real Man of War from the time period. 

The series can be found on YouTube for free but the image quality is very compressed. It is offered on Britbox and more likely in higher resolution, having been shot on film.  

Recently binged "Reacher" on Amazon Prime with some friends. All 8 episodes of Season 1.

Basically very good, and I enjoyed the intricate plot with some really nice twists, but the Reacher character could use a little more emotion. The Terminator had more feeling than this guy. But I guess that's the author's take on him. 

12 hours ago, Lou said:

Grantchester S7 is out tomorrow, 3/11.

i just discovered there was a S6. i think it's still  connected to a "free trial" of some channel and that you end up having to pay for it in the end. gonna wait this one out.

The Crown season 4

After three seasons of a mostly romanticized adoration for the royal family I can see why the institution felt the need to push for a disclaimer that the show is 'fiction' and a dramatized depiction of events rather than an accurate portrayal of real people. The characterization of Prince Charles as a weak, narcissistic, out of touch prick makes the story of Diana all the more tragic. But I think it's the depiction of the Queen as an emotionless and distant mother figure without an ability to empathize with others that probably upset them the most. 

On 3/5/2022 at 2:15 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

So I went into it with zero expectations and I have to say I was quite pleased. Don't expect The Dark Knight but something more on the level of Batman Begins or the Tim Burton Batman.

The movie knows you already know the story so it just drops you into the middle of a new chapter. It takes the outlines of characters we already know and sets them into a world even more grounded than Nolan's depiction. The result is a movie that reminded me a lot of David Fincher's Seven, with a couple action set pieces added in. 

Obviously the context of the film's release matters, but I think if this movie had come out in 2009 rather than The Dark Knight it may have been considered the best depiction of Batman up to that point. No way it'd be as influential but it'd certainly be talked about.

On 3/6/2022 at 4:42 PM, mmc said:

Saw Batman last night and personally loved it, Reeves and the crew did a great job, excellently shot and the set design was probably my favorite part of the movie.  First film to really get Gotham right.  Can’t wait for the sequel

On 3/6/2022 at 11:25 PM, St1ck said:

I didn't hate it but I didn't really like it either. The Riddler seems to be a bit of a copy of Nolan's Joker. Taking down corrupt politicians and even showing the killings on television. I know this was supposed to be geared toward the detective side of Batman but outside of a couple early riddles he figured out I don't remember him really being a good detective. It seemed more like the Riddler was the one to explain everything to him. 

Y’all, I thought it was great. Definitely saw a lot of Seven in it. 

I though it was beautifully shot and the sound design in Atmos was absolutely amazing. Gotham has always been a character of sorts, but you feel it in this film. It really felt like being dropped into the city rather than watching things happen in the city. I don’t know how else to describe it.

Also, that car chase scene… outstanding.

9/10

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

S2 of Black Sails

I have got familiar with the characters and the show is worth watching

Nice change from crime dramas

Reveal hidden contents

i started S2 last week but it appears i'm not as far along as you.

there seems to be more nudity so far.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:03 AM, Redondo said:

S2 of Black Sails

I have got familiar with the characters and the show is worth watching

Nice change from crime dramas

Reveal hidden contents

It took me a few episodes to get into it, but I ended up really liking it. 

On 3/1/2022 at 11:25 AM, Tank said:

Finished S1 of Das Boot. S2 isn’t available yet for some reason on Amazon prime. 

HULU.  Was an enjoyable season.  Although they seem to lose the focus on the brother on the boat, and go a weird direction on the sister.  And how boats seem to suddenly appear without anyone hearing them.  Good war movie though.  

On 3/13/2022 at 10:05 PM, Lou said:

Started this: 

Pretty good. Has anyone watched it?

Kickass. I'll check this out. I actually used to own the book, but got rid of it before reading it. I went through a big Len Deighton phase after reading one of the other spy series that wrote, the Samson series. Quentin Tarantino said he wants to do that trilogy of books, but I doubt it ever gets done at this stage.

I bet this ends up being at worst as just good.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, fan_since79 said:

Recently binged "Reacher" on Amazon Prime with some friends. All 8 episodes of Season 1.... but the Reacher character could use a little more emotion. The Terminator had more feeling than this guy. But I guess that's the author's take on him. 

The Reacher of Lee Child's books is far more complex, charming and intelligent than this actor can portray. They got the size right in casting, but the guy is too cold and too stiff to play Reacher well and the whole show suffered for it I thought. The books (as is often the case) are far superior than the Tom Cruise films or this series. If you like books with a plot that rattles along and doesn't dwell, try those. They're easy reading, page-turning, escapist fodder, great fun.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Kickass. I'll check this out. I actually used to own the book, but got rid of it before reading it. I went through a big Len Deighton phase after reading one of the other spy series that wrote, the Samson series. Quentin Tarantino said he wants to do that trilogy of books, but I doubt it ever gets done at this stage.

I bet this ends up being at worst as just good.

Have you watched SS-GG?

35 minutes ago, Jason said:

My wife and daughter just put on the Fast and Furious 9. I’ve sat through 15 minutes and had to leave the room. It is now on my list of worst movies ever made. Well at least the first 15 minutes are 

Don't worry.  The movie says hold my beer.