• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

1 hour ago, Tank said:

@WicketMaiden

In season 1 of Silk, there's a character named Niamh, which looks like it should be pronounced NI-am. But they pronounce it NEEVE. Can you explain this? Is it an Irish name?

BTW, the actress who plays her, Natalie Dormer, is gorgeous.

Irish as @Lou quite rightly said, rooted in old Gaelic which has Manx; Irish and Scots varieties. It's a sod of a language to get a hang of:

Siobhan - girls name pronounced "Sh'vawn"

Taoiseach - the name for the Irish Prime Minister or Leader pronounced "Tee'shuk" with the 'K' sound from deep in the back of the throat similar to Arabic.

Eoghan / Eoin - mans name "Owen".

Uisceadán - fish tank "Ish-ca-darn".

A lovely sounding language but very hard to read.

5 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Irish as @Lou quite rightly said, rooted in old Gaelic which has Manx; Irish and Scots varieties. It's a sod of a language to get a hang of:

Siobhan - girls name pronounced "Sh'vawn"

Taoiseach - the name for the Irish Prime Minister or Leader pronounced "Tee'shuk" with the 'K' sound from deep in the back of the throat similar to Arabic.

Eoghan / Eoin - mans name "Owen".

Uisceadán - fish tank "Ish-ca-darn".

A lovely sounding language but very hard to read.

I spend some time reading articles on a Triumph cars forum and one contributor, Markus Bewley, lives on the border of Scotland and his writing is heavely accented. It takes several reads to understand what he is saying but his technical diagnosis of any singular mechanical or electrical problem is spot on. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I spend some time reading articles on a Triumph cars forum and one contributor, Markus Bewley, lives on the border of Scotland and his writing is heavely accented. It takes several reads to understand what he is saying but his technical diagnosis of any singular mechanical or electrical problem is spot on. 

I can recommend reading some of Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus novels, there's some nice Fife and Edinburgh local dialect in there. Not too much that it makes it difficult to understand, just enough to give it local colour and there will likely be lots of crossover with your Bewley chap in words like dreich (gloomy weather) and braw (beautiful/ handsome).

Hardly anyone speaks true English in the UK, it's all embellished with local dialects. Must be a nightmare for visitors. 

was looking up some info on the tv series Das Boot and came across this: 

According to the movie, during World War II, the German Navy ramped up their U-boat production significantly and there were 40,000 German soldiers who served in the U-boats during World War II and 30,000 of them never returned. While those numbers are obviously rounded, they're pretty accurate. Nov 20, 2017

wow.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm a couple of episodes into 1883, it's good but I like westerns.

Also Yellowstone Season 4.

I saw the first two episodes of 1883 and liked it. What service are you watching it in? It was temporarily free on Paramount TV on Directv.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

was looking up some info on the tv series Das Boot and came across this: 

According to the movie, during World War II, the German Navy ramped up their U-boat production significantly and there were 40,000 German soldiers who served in the U-boats during World War II and 30,000 of them never returned. While those numbers are obviously rounded, they're pretty accurate. Nov 20, 2017

wow.

There’s a couple of good docuseries on Netflix called WWII in Colour and WWII in Color: Road to Victory. The latter has an episode all about the battle of the Atlantic. It’s one of the better explanations/encapsulations of the whole thing I’ve ever seen. 
Basically the U-Boats dominated at the start of the war, then once Allied tactics and tech caught up (along with the whole enigma thing getting solved) the U-Boats started to get wrecked. The problem compounded itself as experienced crews that were lost got replaced by inexperienced ones, and by the last couple years of the war most of the U-Boats that left home never made it back.

7 hours ago, Tank said:

I saw the first two episodes of 1883 and liked it. What service are you watching it in? It was temporarily free on Paramount TV on Directv.

I'm watching 1883 on Paramount + on a discounted $0.99 per month for 2 months deal from Amazon Prime Video. Still a month left on that deal.

Netflix:  All of us are Dead  A @Lou special.  A Korean zombie series, centering around a high school.  Weird slow start.  But gets better as the season goes along.  Decent ending.  But this is definitely only for people like Lou.  Most should probably pass on it.  Don't think this will become iconic like Squid Games.

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Netflix:  All of us are Dead  A @Lou special.  A Korean zombie series, centering around a high school.  Weird slow start.  But gets better as the season goes along.  Decent ending.  But this is definitely only for people like Lou.  Most should probably pass on it.  Don't think this will become iconic like Squid Games.

Stopped reading at N.

I started going through the back catalog of movies I never bothered to see.

Master And Commander: The Far Side of the World

Russel Crowe commands a 18th century British warship, obsessed with tracking down the imposing French vessel that nearly sank his ship. Fun for anyone who wants to see old boats shooting canons at each other. I was hoping for a little more drama though.

Phantom Thread

Paul Thomas Anderson movie staring Daniel Day Lewis. Lewis plays a straight dress maker with a personality disorder and an uncompromising obsession with perfection. The heart of the film is Vickey Krieps character, the woman with the "ideal shape" who falls for Lewis, and must find a way to mold the man into a person capable of being loved. It's a weird take on relationships, what we really need out of them, and the sacrifice both people need to make for them to work.

2 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Russel Crowe commands a 18th century British warship... shooting canons at each other.

This sounds brilliant. Do they shoot priests and bishops at each other too? And do they use solely Christian ammunition or are the cannons multi-faith? Any nuns? They'd be pretty streamlined I'd imagine, better for accuracy.