• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 12/17/2018 at 7:38 PM, Rico said:

Roma - There are a couple great sequences near the end, but it's two hours of boredom to get there.

To each his own, but I thought it was great - though I did watch it in two sittings.

Cuaron is a great director and there are a lot of visual clues and nuanced moments that kept things interesting for me. He somehow managed to make a movie that didn't just look like a movie about Mexico in 1970 but actually felt like a movie from 1970 Mexico. 

I heard the movie described as 'nostalgic' but I didn't really get that vibe at all. It's very much a subjective look back at a time and place that could easily invoke nostalgia for the director but which instead is filled with themes of classism, destruction, violence and escapism. The only thing seemingly nostalgic - and perhaps a cause of your boredom - is a style that recalls classic foreign cinema of long ago. Here the focus is on ideas, the spectacle just serves to drive them home... in that sense Roma is very much the antithesis to his last film, Gravity.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:41 AM, Angelsjunky said:

I just watched The BIrd Box on Netflix - highly recommended if you like psychological horror with a sci-fi twist. Very similar to The Quiet Place.

Love Ray Donovan but waiting for the season to complete so I can binge watch.

Enjoyed Bird Box.  Thanks for the recommendation.

On December 24, 2018 at 6:06 AM, NJHalo said:

Escape at Dannemora was pretty graphic last night. Good use of the flashbacks to show just what kind of people we are dealing with. 

finally got to watch it. wow.  you find yourself actually pulling for these guy to escape, then you're reminded just how evil they are. 

Tilly's cracks me up. 

Vice

Some of it was really good, some of it was scattershot and unfocused. I loved The Big Short, but this one felt like it missed the mark. It tried to cover so much ground that nothing seemed to land as well as it could have.

Christian Bale is excellent as Dick Cheney. Sam Rockwell is great as Dubya, but he's hardly in it (he probably has 10 or 15 minutes of total screen time). 

A couple of series on subscription TV that were targeted specifically at me but for whatever reason I'm just now getting around to it:

Jack Ryan on Amazon - while I'm not crazy about the leading man in this series I love Wendell Pierce and that's enough reason to watch it right there. The action-packed show is true to its Clancy roots and Pierce brings his "Bunk" persona from The Wire.

Star Trek Discovery on CBS All Access - I was pleasantly surprised that is actually very good Trek.

Looking forward to Season 2 of both of these series.

Watched Bird Box on Netflix last night. Definitely a strange movie. Sandra Bullock pulled it off in bringing it together. Physco thriller.

Finished season 3 of Wentworth on Netflix. Started out slow, but finished strong. Lou, you might want to check it out.