• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 7/17/2016 at 10:42 AM, Tank said:

For some reason I have HBO so was flipping around and found the new version of Vacation. What a piece of crap. Lasted about fifteen minutes, which was fourteen and a half minutes too long.

i thought that was pretty funny actually. way better than i expected.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I thought it was decent. 

the 15 minutes i saw was the part where they arrived at his sister audrey's house with chris hemsworth walking around in his fruit of the looms and then they rounded up cattle. it was slow and tedious, and we bailed.

maybe there are better parts, but we didn't have the desire to hang in there and find out.

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

i thought that was pretty funny actually. way better than i expected.

It's one of those films that's better if you go in with no/negative expectations.  But defnintly not a save on the dvr type film to rewatch once you've watched it. 

The first two are really slow in building characters and plot. It starts to really form a story by the 4th episode and then really moves along. Each season is a story told from a different POV of the same problem of drugs in society and how it is enabled.

This weekend I caught As I AM: The Life and Times of DJ AM and the ESPN 30 for 30 Doc & Darryl.  Not sure how I ended up watching two things that were about battling addiction but both were pretty good.  The DJ AM one resonated with me quite a bit because we did a lot of partying in that scene after high school and while most people moved past it some didn't.     

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

i couldnt get through two episodes before bailing.

folks say it's amazing. it put us to sleep. maybe we'll give it another shot.

Yep, first two episodes in and I can say it really hasn't been that great.  But, I'll continue and like others have said I assume it will get better. 

2 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Yep, first two episodes in and I can say it really hasn't been that great.  But, I'll continue and like others have said I assume it will get better. 

I didn't really care too much for the first season up until the end. In fact I still think the first season is probably my least favorite, though season 5 gets off easy because we've already spent so much time with the characters. Season two is much maligned by fans, but it was the season where I first realized I was watching something truly exceptional. Three and four are as good as it gets.

finding dory: B+

you already know what the story is going to be going in, and with it being a disney movie for kids, you know how it's going to end. there really wasn't anything in it that surprised me or that i thought was especially clever, though i did like the scene after the final credits and see how it could become the story line for a finding nemo 3. that said, the animation is always incredible. no memorable songs from this one.

The Wire was fantastic.

Many years ago I decided to take a year off. When I started to get bored I did the Sopranos in two weeks and upon looking for something new was lead to The Wire. It's a good crime drama in its own right, but was surprised by how profound it was. The show just had some sense of realism and you can tell it was written from a place of being there, which David Simon was.

I got someone into it many months ago and can't tell if it simply hasn't aged well for today or if it was more slow than I remember. Either way, I remember originally sticking it out and the show just morphed into a legit human case study. Pretty wild. The stuff with Omar, Hamsterdam, and the entire season 4 with the kids is the type of shit that sticks with you the rest of your life.

Plus, it was the start of Idris Elba and now every time I see Littlefinger in anything it's always, "Hey, there is Mayor Carcetti"

16 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I didn't really care too much for the first season up until the end. In fact I still think the first season is probably my least favorite, though season 5 gets off easy because we've already spent so much time with the characters. Season two is much maligned by fans, but it was the season where I first realized I was watching something truly exceptional. Three and four are as good as it gets.

Pretty much how I feel.  

53 minutes ago, Paul said:

The Wire was fantastic.

Many years ago I decided to take a year off. When I started to get bored I did the Sopranos in two weeks and upon looking for something new was lead to The Wire. It's a good crime drama in its own right, but was surprised by how profound it was. The show just had some sense of realism and you can tell it was written from a place of being there, which David Simon was.

I got someone into it many months ago and can't tell if it simply hasn't aged well for today or if it was more slow than I remember. Either way, I remember originally sticking it out and the show just morphed into a legit human case study. Pretty wild. The stuff with Omar, Hamsterdam, and the entire season 4 with the kids is the type of shit that sticks with you the rest of your life.

Plus, it was the start of Idris Elba and now every time I see Littlefinger in anything it's always, "Hey, there is Mayor Carcetti"

It's just really slow. Half the scenes are just the characters shooting the shit. That's why it's so fucking good in the long run.

7 hours ago, OCAngelsNotLAA said:

Saw the movie Green Room the other day.  I thought it was really good.  It has the Anton Yelchin(rip) in it.  Its about a band playing a small out of town show when they get into a situation with the locals.  The suspense/horror felt very realistic and believable. I would recommend it

One of my favorites of the year so far. Probably should mention that the "locals" refers to neo-Nazis, as the bar/club they play it was a Neo-Nazi bar where the leader is played by Patrick Stewart.