• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Was it accurate that he predicted the whole thing?

By all accounts, yes.

I was never familiar with the secondary market/Wall Street/stock aspect of mortgages. I have a decent idea just from knowledge of experience, so I don't know all the details.

But yeah, it seems he did and the movie does a great job of addressing what happened from the perspective of no one ever bet against housing and he essentially created the aspect of swaps and derivatives (they don't mention derivatives in the movie, but I think it's basically the mortgage default swaps or variation that the movie details....I'm the book goes into greater detail). Derivatives were created where people bet against the market performing.

I started on the realtor, real estate side and even dumb me saw these housing prices going nuts on a day to day basis. Then got into mortgages and figured out why when they were handing out loans. From the realtor side it blew my mind I was selling 500k homes to 40k a year couples, so it didn't add up to me. But he was the one to go through the portfolio numbers and see the subprime mortgages in the AAA portfolios. I feel like a lot of people knew what was going on, he just seemed to be the first to bet they would fail which basically created the selling of these mortgage backed securities.

If Google Michael Burry he did an interview with New York Magazine that does a good job of keeping it simple describing what he saw and what happened.

I was an appraiser during the bubble and some of the crap I saw would blow peoples' minds. A lot of people saw the collapse from a mile away. I only wish I would have known how to gather resources and short the market the way Burry did. Like Brandon said, he's a smart dude.

The Fed has created the housing bubble 2.0 btw. This won't last forever.

So I spent the past month or so just watching a ton of movies from the 1930s.

The highlights:

The Awful Truth

The Thin Man

Angels with Dirty Faces

Trouble in Paradise

Ninotchka

The Public Enemy

Bringing Up Baby

Ruggles of Red Gap

The Blue Angel

Destry Rides Again

The Roaring Twenties

Holiday

Footlight Parade

Captain Blood

Scarface

Realized I'm a pretty big screwball comedy fan and enjoy some James Cagney as well

Love James Cagney and I enjoyed Scarface as well. Part of that movie was filmed at the opposite end of the Chatsworth railroad tunnel where the horrific Metrolink crash happened in 2008.

So I spent the past month or so just watching a ton of movies from the 1930s.

The highlights:

The Awful Truth

The Thin Man

Angels with Dirty Faces

Trouble in Paradise

Ninotchka

The Public Enemy

Bringing Up Baby

Ruggles of Red Gap

The Blue Angel

Destry Rides Again

The Roaring Twenties

Holiday

Footlight Parade

Captain Blood

Scarface

Realized I'm a pretty big screwball comedy fan and enjoy some James Cagney as well

If you like screwball comedy, from the top of my head, here are a few you didn't list that are also excellent.

It Happened One Night

Topper

My Favorite Wife

His Girl Friday

Vivacious Lady

If you like screwball comedy, from the top of my head, here are a few you didn't list that are also excellent.

It Happened One Night

Topper

My Favorite Wife

His Girl Friday

Vivacious Lady

Yeah, I love It Happened One Night and His Girl Friday as well. Would have to look into the others.

Others I like not mentioned above:

Palm Beach Story

Sullivan's Travels

To Be Or Not To Be

Midnight

Easy Living

Really loving a lot of Preston Sturges and Ernst Lubtisch films.

Also, after seeing a few The Thin Man movies, Libeled Lady, and Mr. Blandings Builds a Dream House, I've developed a crush on Myrna Loy.

Watched Creed and Big Short on flights to/from the east coast.

Thought they were both fantastic.

Big Short was entertaining, but I thought they dumbed it down a tad too much. Granted it's a pretty boring subject matter so it makes sense why they did.

Creed was fun. I love every Rocky movie so I expected to enjoy it.

Edited by mrwicked

Started on the Blacklist due to someone here.

The story line is very good. But it's so far fetched. Raymond knows everything and everybody. They figure out things so fast, like in 30 minutes where other shows it takes 6 episodes. I will watch a couple more before deciding if I want to go 40+ episodes.

Anyone else have any input?