• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 10/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, T.G. said:

Samaritan: Prime Video

I don't normally watch comic book super hero type stuff (I'm not even sure if this qualifies as that), but decided to watch because I like Sly Stallone. 

I thought the movie was dumb.  It was way over the top and it was pretty predicable too. 

Dumb comic book and Stallone?  You got the wrong movie.

liveblogging sylvester stallone GIF

The Urban version is awesome, though.

Finally got back to watching "Goliath" on Amazon.  It's very good.  I'm six episodes in on S1.  I will say that the William Hurt character (Donald Cooperman) is over the top, creepy.  Billy Bob Thornton is good as usual.  Worth the watch.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

Finally got back to watching "Goliath" on Amazon.  It's very good.  I'm six episodes in on S1.  I will say that the William Hurt character (Donald Cooperman) is over the top, creepy.  Billy Bob Thornton is good as usual.  Worth the watch.

S1 & 2 are excellent. S3 is bizarre.

Here's a very good British deep-state thriller that stands nicely alongside shows like  Informer: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8201186/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

image.thumb.jpeg.bf1994bd5dceac8379f650f21a970bd3.jpeg

Season Two is just out on Peacock, the original was a BBC show and it has all the high production values you'd expect from them. Good acting / script / plot and a few twists and turns you don't see coming. Well worth your time and perfect for binge-watching. 

The Rings Of Power

Who was this show for? With such poorly written characters the series has to lean on the fantasy tropes to stay interesting. Unfortunately, in part due to the creators not owning the rights to the story they were telling, the series strays pretty far from Tolkien. 

This is the most expensive series ever created but if I hadn’t read that I’d have no idea. No recognizable faces, no standout performances, no oh-shit moments. It’s just kind of a thing. I suspect I’ll skip season 2.

52 minutes ago, Lou said:

Anyone watching House of the Dragons?

Yes, I've been watching that. It's been pretty good, a little self-indulgent at times, and some fairly obvious plot developments without the shocker twists George R R Martin is so good at, but pretty good all in all. I see it as GOT lite - not as shocking, not as much violence, not as much nudity, and no Tyrion, but still enjoyed it overall for the back-story it fills out in the GOT universe.

Dragon Show

The finale for House of the Dragon aired last Sunday and I must confess it was, for me, the most anticipated tv event in some time. While the ending of Game of Thrones torpedoed what was an all time great series, HBO made sure to do this one right, hiring all the right people, most notably GRR Martin himself.

Where GoT was expansive watered down fantasy, House of the Dragon is an intimate political and family drama - where the kids have dragons. Where GoT was a story about the pursuit of power, HotD is about how people view their place in the world and the perception others have of what that place should be. All of these characters are written as believable, often times likable and always fallible. The standout performance is obviously Paddy Considine as King Viserys. The physicality he brings to the role, and the way he holds his family together through his love for them should earn him an Emmy.

At it's core HotD is a classic tragedy played out in slow motion over decades. The minor slights, the political miscalculations, the gossip, the personal sacrifices, the careless decision making, the bullying on and on, piece by piece adding up over time. The pacing is very much in line with season 1 of GoT while also being every bit as good. The one notable difference being that there is clearly a lot more money being spent here than there was on the early seasons of Thrones. This isn't just due to some epic set pieces, it's all over every scene, from the production design, to the sets, to the extras, it's all more detailed, and more authentic. All in all the show stacks up very well to those early seasons while also probably being more accessible. GoT already did the heavy lifting of building this world, now in HotD we truly get to live in it.

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Anyone watching House of the Dragons?

I think I'm halfway through the season.

Spoiler

I started the episode where they skipped ahead to them grown up and the main chick was having a kid, but at the same time people on the web, podcasts, social media, etc. were talking like it jumped the shark or was ridiculous, so I never followed back up with it. I assume I'll do that soon, though. The show wasn't terrible, just didn't grab me as one of those where you want to binge or watch the next episode.