• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

22 hours ago, Tank said:

i watched it (The Firm) this summer and liked it. but it's weird. it's only one season but they abruptly change the story in the middle of it to something else. and then the ending is equally abrupt, like there were plans to shoot a S2 but the show got canceled before they could do so.

it's a good series and you should enjoy it, but be warned about the oddities within it.

That sort of convinced me to pass on it for now.

Started watching "Goliath" starring Billy Bob Thornton instead.  Just started watching it, but it looks pretty good.  It's on Amazon prime.  Anyone else watching it or seen it?

4 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Started watching "Goliath" starring Billy Bob Thornton instead.  Just started watching it, but it looks pretty good.  It's on Amazon prime.  Anyone else watching it or seen it?

we loved Patti.

this is a really good show, especially S1 & 2.

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

Agree with the others. 

Good show

Finally watched all four episodes of House of the Dragons. I think IP made a post about it a couple pages ago that kind of sums up my thought process......we'll see. I see the potential and vaguely remember GoT being a slow burn initially as they try to construct and introduce the characters (which reminds me of the myriad of characters and new names we need to remember). As mentioned before, I like that it's its own thing, while trying to remember some of the history from GoT and how it may correlate here.

We'll see if this becomes like GoT where society watches together on Sunday's. I do like that they have the episode breakdowns after and included a podcast to go along with the show....I enjoyed some of the pods with GoT.

3 hours ago, T.G. said:

Goliath is a good show. I presume you've seen Bosch?

On 9/15/2022 at 4:53 PM, Inside Pitch said:

You don't even notice the shit...  Easily the biggest non issue for me.  Ill keep watching in hopes that the writing/pacing is what it is because they are trying to reach people who may have never seen the movies or read the books and its just "hand-holding" of sorts.  But they really need to do better.

Yesterday's episode was pretty weak. Like, it wasn't terrible, but this is supposed to be where the story gets going and it's kind of sputtering to take off.

21 hours ago, Brandon said:

Finally watched all four episodes of House of the Dragons. I think IP made a post about it a couple pages ago that kind of sums up my thought process......we'll see. I see the potential and vaguely remember GoT being a slow burn initially as they try to construct and introduce the characters (which reminds me of the myriad of characters and new names we need to remember). As mentioned before, I like that it's its own thing, while trying to remember some of the history from GoT and how it may correlate here.

We'll see if this becomes like GoT where society watches together on Sunday's. I do like that they have the episode breakdowns after and included a podcast to go along with the show....I enjoyed some of the pods with GoT.

This is definitely a slower burn than GoT since this story takes place over a generation. It's also far less of a fantasy series than GoT was, because dragons aside its just a political drama. So far I think they've done a fantastic job of sowing the seeds of conflicts that will ultimately lead to war. Otto's meddling in his daughters life vs the king's love for his daughter leading him to name her heir, it's all very much a slow motion train wreck.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is definitely a slower burn than GoT since this story takes place over a generation. It's also far less of a fantasy series than GoT was, because dragons aside its just a political drama. So far I think they've done a fantastic job of sowing the seeds of conflicts that will ultimately lead to war. Otto's meddling in his daughters life vs the king's love for his daughter leading him to name her heir, it's all very much a slow motion train wreck.

Very much a slow burn. My only negative is that I’ve paused a few times to do other things because I start zoning out with mundane family nonsense. But I also feel like there will be a payoff.

Plus, Daemon is a savage.

21 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Has anyone watched Wheel of Time on Prime?  Any good?  Watchable if you didn't read the books?  Should I read the books?

There's 15 books the first of which came out in 1990 while the original author Robert Jordan died in 2007 and another fantasy author Brandon Sanderson who was a fan finished the series.   So unlike Game of Thrones the book series was completed before the show and the source material is there for anyone to read if you want but again it's 15 books.  If you read even just the first book and watch the series like many adaptations they made changes one of which was pretty annoying as it went against a basic principle in the books.  If you enjoy fantasy books/shows/movies there's worse ways to pass the time but it's definitely not GoT or LOTR (movies) level or anywhere near it.

46 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

There's 15 books the first of which came out in 1990 while the original author Robert Jordan died in 2007 and another fantasy author Brandon Sanderson who was a fan finished the series.   So unlike Game of Thrones the book series was completed before the show and the source material is there for anyone to read if you want but again it's 15 books.  If you read even just the first book and watch the series like many adaptations they made changes one of which was pretty annoying as it went against a basic principle in the books.  If you enjoy fantasy books/shows/movies there's worse ways to pass the time but it's definitely not GoT or LOTR (movies) level or anywhere near it.

Books any good?  I have a Kobo and a library card, so it wouldn't cost me anything.  I did like Goodkinds Sword of Truth series if that helps.  

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Started We Own This City on HBO. Been looking forward to this ever since I saw Ed Burns and David Simon attached to the project. One episode in and I dig it. Hopefully will knock that out this weekend as it’s just a six episode miniseries.

I started on We Own This City and pretty much couldn't stop. I didn't have super high expectations for it but hell if I was not entertained. Jon Bernthal is so good in this.

Moonage Daydream - I'm not a huge David Bowie fan, but I still enjoyed the experience of this movie.  It's not a traditional documentary; much more immersive and experimental than your typical music doc.  If you're a Bowie fan, it's worth catching this one in IMAX, as the director did a special sound mix for the IMAX release.

Barbarian - Enjoyed it, but maybe not as much as some other folks I've talked to.  Clever structure, nice surprises, and good performances (especially from Justin Long)--but I didn't think the movie was very scary at all.  Others seem to think it's the scariest movie in years.  I don't get it...

See How They Run - Mildly diverting/entertaining comedic whodunit with a great cast (Sam Rockwell, Saoirse Ronan, Adrien Brody, etc.). It's a self-aware riff on Agatha Christie stories, set in 1953 England.  The whodunit/mystery aspects of the actual story are almost beside the point; it's more a commentary on the genre in general, as well as some nice character work between Rockwell and Ronan.

Pearl - Prequel to X.  I enjoyed this one a lot more than X.  Nice blend of melodrama and horror/thrills.  Gorgeous use of colors, great score, and just fantastically weird overall.  Mia Goth is a blast in this role.  She really goes for it in a couple of big scenes.

The Woman King - Story about the women warriors of the Dahomey kingdom in early 19th century Africa.  Has great reviews and got an A+ CinemaScore, which is relatively rare.  I liked it, though I thought the action sequences were a little messy/sloppy.  I also got oddly hung up on some weird age-related things I noticed (e.g., two of the characters are supposed to be roughly the same age, but the actresses playing them are 25 years apart in age, another character is supposed to be 19 but everyone thinks she looks younger--yet she's played by an actress who's over 30 years old, etc.).  There's a fair amount of chatter online/on Twitter about how the movie doesn't deal with Dahomey's history of slavery--but those are clearly coming from people who haven't seen the movie, since that's a major subplot in the movie...

Confess, Fletch - Jon Hamm takes over the role of Fletch.  He definitely has a very different comedic energy compared to Chevy Chase, but I thought it worked great for the character.  It's not as quotable of a movie as the Chase ones, but it's fun, has a lot of funny/interesting side characters, and I'd definitely love to see Hamm play this role again (highly doubtful they'll make another one, though).  This one is in moderate release in theaters and is also available on PVOD; it'll be available on Paramount+ in a couple weeks.

First the nerd stuff. Rings of Power is bad. Pretty to look at, but all style with no substance. The acting, dialogue, and plotting is just piss poor, especially for such a budget. House of Dragons is surprisingly good. I wasn't all that excited about it, feeling somewhat "Throned-out," but I find myself becoming more and more interested with each episode. Wish there was a balance of humor, though.

Other stuff...I've been watching a ton of "Nordic Noir" and other European crime dramas. My quick verdicts, with a few ones I watched last year thrown in:

Really good: Trapped (Iceland), Bordertown (Finland), Black Spot (France), The Dark (Germany),Chestnut Man (Denmark)

Pretty good: Marcella (UK), Equinox (Denmark), The Forest (France), Feria (Spain), Behind Her Eyes (UK), The Woods (Poland), The Stranger (UK) 

OK: Stay Close (UK), Deadwind (Finland), Capitani (Luxembourg), Occupied (Norway)

Edited by Angelsjunky

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Books any good?  I have a Kobo and a library card, so it wouldn't cost me anything.  I did like Goodkinds Sword of Truth series if that helps.  

I never read Goodkind, but I believe he drew a lot from Jordan, who popularized the "mega-fantasy" series (I'm not just talking a trilogy, but a half dozen or more 800+ page books; Wheel of Time has 14 books, I believe).

I read the first half of it years ago - in the 90s, as they came out. Loved it through about book 5, then it began get unwieldy. I made it about 100 pages into book 8 but then stopped reading and never looked back.

If you like Goodkind and the Wheel of Time TV series--which while not great, still captures some of the feel of the books--then you'll probably like the book series. If you really like the TV series, then it is must-reading to get a deeper picture into the world, as the series only touches the surface.

14 hours ago, gotbeer said:

I’ll echo what Angelsjunky said about the books. I read the first 6 and then to me they got kind of repetitive especially the main character’s development. I know they ended up wrapping it up so it comes full circle it just started to drag for me. I love reading so if a series is 5 or 50 books if the pacing is good I’m all for it but if I lose interest after so many books I rarely go back.