• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Blue Jays @ Angels (5/28/22 7pm): Lorenzen on the mound, Ohtani is back, no Ward

3 minutes ago, cals said:

In an alternative situation, had there been one out and a runner on first and third and the ball is hit to the 1B who steps on 1B creating an out, then throws to second, the runner from 3rd to home can score because there is no force at second. The play doesn’t end until the runner is tagged.  This happened yesterday or the day before and our lazy runner lolligagged and the run did not score.  But the manner in which a forced runner is out is irrelevant.  

It was Duffy.

Just say it was Duffy.

We can still say Duffy around here...right?

No, it’s any base 

I have never read the 1st base exemption for batter/runner, but a tag play is not the same as a force. If the runner going to 2B or 3B is tagged, despite there being a force play, the run would indeed score if tagged after the runner touching home. That is a play that I have had. 

Now you guys got me all turned around.  It applies for any forced runner at any base.

Also correct.

In this case however Strad was referring to the dumbass Velasquez with the terrible at bat who was going from the batters box (home plate) to first base and it threw some of us off. 

The runner from home is an automatic forced runner, if he is the 3rd out no runs score, regardless if you tag him or throw to 1st base.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

I have never read the 1st base exemption for batter/runner, but a tag play is not the same as a force. If the runner going to 2B or 3B is tagged, despite there being a force play, the run would indeed score if tagged after the runner touching home. That is a play that I have had. 

I think the justification is because the hitter never reached a base safely. 

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Ah, I get what you're saying. 

Like, if say with the bases loaded dumbass Velasquez actually hit the ball decently and it went to shortstop, but instead of throwing to a base, he went in to tag the runner going from 2nd to 3rd. 

But the runner passed the plate before they tagged the runner.

I still feel like no run score because it was a runner in "force out."

6 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Another comment about something being an organizational decision. 

That is very strange... Ortega's previous appearance was May 21st. Tepera's previous appearance was May 22nd. I hope Tepera is not injured. We desperately need a win tomorrow and with Sandoval going tomorrow I think they'll get it. 

1 minute ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

That is very strange... Ortega's previous appearance was May 21st. Tepera's previous appearance was May 22nd. I hope Tepera is not injured. We desperately need a win tomorrow and with Sandoval going tomorrow I think they'll get it. 

Ortega pitched last night. 

If these pitchers can't go back to back days when we need them then let them go and find someone who will. Shits not gonna fly if we ever want to make the playoffs.

"oh...I'd love to win the World Series, but I just got my nails done, and the manicurist said they shouldn't be in the sun more than three times a week..."

Is anyone in this organization sick of these excuses?

Does this organization want to win ballgames?

1 minute ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Both pitched last night, I meant prior to that. Point being it wasn't like they had been used a lot recently. 

Maybe Joe's figuring he's going to need them tomorrow. He's playing the long game. 4-D chess and all that. 

8 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

If these pitchers can't go back to back days when we need them then let them go and find someone who will. Shits not gonna fly if we ever want to make the playoffs.

"oh...I'd love to win the World Series, but I just got my nails done, and the manicurist said they shouldn't be in the sun more than three times a week..."

Is anyone in this organization sick of these excuses?

Does this organization want to win ballgames?

uh, it's hard to be sick of hearing excuses that we've never heard them say. they're not getting their nails done. they're playing baseball and not very well right now. it has happened before. you would think you guys would have developed a better stomach for losing being angels fans. this is a good team, good teams have their struggles. we'll see where they end up. no matter what it's been better than the last X years so far.

you can tag the runner or the bag and maintain a force out.  you only lose the force out if the runner behind them is tagged out prior to any other runner.  There is never a runner behind the one running to first from home so it's always a force out no matter how you get them out.  The runner can only score if you break the chain of continuous force plays.  

a runner on 1st and third.  Ball is hit to the OF and the runner between 1st and 2nd falls down.  The OFer gets it back to the infielder and he tags the fallen runner.  The guy from third has long since crossed the plate but in this scenario, the run wouldn't count.  

Herget had only thrown the 17 pitches the night before, after not pitching since May 20.

Past 24.2 innings: 1.47 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, 23/2 Ks/BBs

Why didn’t Maddon mention his name in the presser?

I hope Maddon finally puts Loup in a mop up spot for now.   Give Quijada a chance to take that lefty spot, once he’s had a few games in back up here. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

There’s no such thing as a mop up role on this team right now. We are losing way too much and they are all close games. When only one or two guys in the pen are getting outs you can’t go to them every night. Last night it was Barraclough’s turn to shit the bed. He’d given up 1 run since his call up before last night.  It’s not just about the number of pitches Herget threw it’s also the number of times he got up to pitch, and in the previous game he got outs in the 5th, 6th and 7th.  These guys, Bradley, Loup and Tepera have to start being effective because they aren’t going anywhere and he HAS to use 1-3 of them virtually every night.