• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Los Angeles Angels 2022 Starting Rotation

Chuck

6 hours ago, Revad said:

I wonder if we’ve been using left over balls from 2021 (the deader of the two used) and eventually we’ll see the more lively balls (gross).  Once they use those up will we see the more lively 2021 balls or maybe even balls made for this year?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/four-questions-mlb-needs-to-answer-after-report-reveals-league-used-two-different-baseballs-in-2021/

Well it's evident the ball Isn't traveling, and lower scoring games are the result. I know Manfred is committed to surfing the game up so a deadened ball certainly makes sense in that regard. 

But we also know HR's put butts in seats and helps the bottom line. After the stroke of 94, McGwire and Sosa brought the cynical fans back and helped "save baseball." 

But you have to wonder just how committed Manfred is. When games are being won 4-3 instead of 8-6, fans may tune away or stop coming to the ball park. 

Personally, I prefer the deader ball. It's more authentic, and makes the storylines of the game more genuine, less fabricated. And I find 4-3 games compelling, and I don't want to watch anything else because the slightest mishap changes the outcome of the game. 

Again, I don't trust Manfred. He sucks. 

Last year and so far this year Sandoval has been very good. 
He’s had 24 starts the last two seasons.  He’s given up four runs in 3 games, three runs in 4 other games. So in the last 24 starts he’s given up 2 runs or less in 17 starts.  He’s kept his team in every single start since the beginning of last year. 

What's particularly neat about all of this is that our 2022 rotation looks really good, and our 2023 rotation might be filled with a number of our own home grown young talent.

Next year, at some point, I can see Ohtani, Sandoval, Silseth, Detmers, and then the last two spots potentially filled by Bachman, Bush, Canning (?, pending surgery), Kerry, Davis, Diaz, etc.  We have all sorts of interesting prospects now who are in the upper minors and pitching well or at least have strong potential.

I'm sure we'll add at least one established veteran SP to the mix above, because that makes strategic sense, but it's pretty exciting to see our SP talent pipeline start to emerge.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

What's particularly neat about all of this is that our 2022 rotation looks really good, and our 2023 rotation might be filled with a number of our own home grown young talent.

Next year, at some point, I can see Ohtani, Sandoval, Silseth, Detmers, and then the last two spots potentially filled by Bachman, Bush, Canning (?, pending surgery), Kerry, Davis, Diaz, etc.  We have all sorts of interesting prospects now who are in the upper minors and pitching well or at least have strong potential.

I'm sure we'll add at least one established veteran SP to the mix above, because that makes strategic sense, but it's pretty exciting to see our SP talent pipeline start to emerge.

And add Olthoff to that potential group, also already in AA just a year after being drafted.

Crazy good AA rotation now:

Bachman, Bush, Kerry, Crow, and Olthoff

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I remember a few years ago when I said I liked Sandoval better than Canning and was mocked for it.

Or maybe I wasn't mocked for it, but I like to think that I was so I can be mad at some unknown victimizer and feel self-righteous and smart.

Meh...  Just get used to saying smart stuff and then having others try to play it off like it was one of their original thoughts.  That's what I do.

5 hours ago, Reveille1984 said:

I guess when your first 20 draft picks are pitchers, statistically some of them are bound to work out.  Nice!

You could say the same thing about having 5 picks in the top 100 or so and yet the Angels managed to screw that up.   

They actually deserve a lot of credit for having taken the information they had and potentially turning it into multiple useful parts.  Even getting two useful everyday players or pitchers in one draft is considered a successful draft.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Meh...  Just get used to saying smart stuff and then having others try to play it off like it was one of their original thoughts.  That's what I do.

I say dumb stuff too. But maybe it is like batting average: you only have to get a hit one-third of the time, and you're one of the best hitters in baseball. I think I'm a solid .290 hitter, sort of like the Howie Kendrick of baseball smarts.

Re: the 2021 draft. I'm hesitantly optimistic. I mean, let's not count our chickens before they're hatched. So far things look good, but we're really talking about a quarter of a minor league season and a couple major league starts.

Of course if just Silseth and Bachman turn out to be solid major league mid-rotation starters, then the draft was good. We generally have collectively skewed view of draft picks - as to how often a drafted player amounts to anything, as has been discussed here before.

Now if a few of Bush, Erla, Murphy, etc, also turn out to be solid major leaguers as well, then the draft was a huge success. 

I think as a general rule, a draft can't really be judged until five years or more have elapsed, but early signs are encouraging. And this sort of draft has a quicker rate of return, so maybe three years. Something like:

2022 (one year later - now): Early signs are very promising.

2023: We'll have a better sense of who is more or less likely to reach the majors, and when.

2024: the better pitchers will be reaching or in the majors, and we'll have a good idea of the overall quality of the draft.

Again, most drafts have a longer timeline.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Re: the 2021 draft. I'm hesitantly optimistic. I mean, let's not count our chickens before they're hatched. So far things look good, but we're really talking about a quarter of a minor league season and a couple major league starts.

Of course if just Silseth and Bachman turn out to be solid major league mid-rotation starters, then the draft was good. We generally have collectively skewed view of draft picks - as to how often a drafted player amounts to anything, as has been discussed here before.

Now if a few of Bush, Erla, Murphy, etc, also turn out to be solid major leaguers as well, then the draft was a huge success. 

I think as a general rule, a draft can't really be judged until five years or more have elapsed, but early signs are encouraging. And this sort of draft has a quicker rate of return, so maybe three years. Something like:

2022 (one year later - now): Early signs are very promising.

2023: We'll have a better sense of who is more or less likely to reach the majors, and when.

2024: the better pitchers will be reaching or in the majors, and we'll have a good idea of the overall quality of the draft.

Again, most drafts have a longer timeline.

Yes, agreed.  And while it's neat that we have multiple young pitchers from that 2021 draft already in AA and looking good, it is unrealistic to assume they will all pan out and become good MLB pitchers.

But as you said - if Silseth and Bachman both become solid mid-rotation SPs, then that 2021 draft is already a big success.