• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

18 potential starting pitchers available at the deadline (MLBTR article)

mmc

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

The problem with a lot of those is that the teams in question are going to tie bad contracts to them more than asking for good prospects.
The Reds want to jettison Moustakis, and he has absolutely no place to play here and has WAY too much left on that deal. 
The Padres are likely to want to move Myers with Hosmer having a bit of resurgence so far this season, which might make some sense to us as he have a 4th need and hes in the final years. Plus they are going to be more willing to move an SP as they have a glut of them as opposed to the Reds just dumping money. 
I was a bit surprised to see Stroman on that list, hes been really hot and cold so far with some really good starts and a couple really bad ones.  His K/BB ration is still there as is the ground ball rate.  Cant imagine them punting on this already, hes deal isnt that bad and unusually get cheaper more than more expensive... still though i wonder if they wouldnt want to tie another contract like Heyward.
The good news is that none of these likely cost anything significant in terms of prospects, but more money, which might be a non starter. 

No one is going to take Moustakas now that Castillo is a question mark health wise. In my post I talked about Tommy Pham as a 4th outfielder candidate, the Reds will absolutely move him.  

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If this team continues to play well up to the deadline I fully expect them to push all in.  Pushing all in means getting a legit back up catcher (Maldonado type of catch and throw) another arm or two, and a 4th outfielder (Tommy Pham). 

Long way to the deadline but it’ll be the first time we’ve done that since maybe getting Upton and Brandon Phillips at the Sept 1st deadline in 17, when we made a run late…..different vibe for sure….

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

No one is going to take Moustakas now that Castillo is a question mark health wise. In my post I talked about Tommy Pham as a 4th outfielder candidate, the Reds will absolutely move him.  

I agree, but you know they will try.  
Pham is obviously the better option, but he going to require more top kids from an already thin farm, so pick your poison, which way would you rather go?
If they insist on Mous you have to walk away thats just dead money to us.

16 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree, but you know they will try.  
Pham is obviously the better option, but he going to require more top kids from an already thin farm, so pick your poison, which way would you rather go?
If they insist on Mous you have to walk away thats just dead money to us.

He's not going to require any type of "top kids", he's a rental (unless we pick up his option), who while still solid, is not a star by any means.  Look at what the Braves dealt from their system for all their OFs last year, just Kalich (ranked 29 in their farm) for Soler, a cheaper contract for the Tribe to waive in Sandoval for Rosario, Alex Jackson who fell out of the mix and is already gone from Miami for Duvall, and Bryce Ball, ranked 19 in their farm, for Pederson.

10 minutes ago, mmc said:

He's not going to require any type of "top kids", he's a rental (unless we pick up his option), who while still solid, is not a star by any means.  Look at what the Braves dealt from their system for all their OFs last year, just Kalich (ranked 29 in their farm) for Soler, a cheaper contract for the Tribe to waive in Sandoval for Rosario, Alex Jackson who fell out of the mix and is already gone from Miami for Duvall, and Bryce Ball, ranked 19 in their farm, for Pederson.

Maybe not top kids, but better kids, that better?  

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

All of those OF’ers the Braves traded for were on expiring contracts and none was the kind of guy to bring a haul of prospects (similar to Pham)….Duvall was having a good year but he had an expensive option and didn’t generate a lot of interest….…..that said, Alex A made really good calls on all 4….kind of a perfect storm….

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

All of those OF’ers the Braves traded for were on expiring contracts and none was the kind of guy to bring a haul of prospects (similar to Pham)….Duvall was having a good year but he had an expensive option and didn’t generate a lot of interest….…..that said, Alex A made really good calls on all 4….kind of a perfect storm….

You think Pham has significantly more value than any of those guys?

My first reaction when I read the thread title was, 'we don't really need one'. My second reaction on the heels of that was, 'Holy crap, how far have we come to able to say that about the Angels rotation?'. We've got a great front four and several interesting options at 5, 6, 7, 8 on the depth chart, and a farm full of promising pitching prospects. Haven't even mentioned Canning and Rodriguez, both great hopes for us in recent years. And of course, we now have a bull-pen and not a dumpster fire for the late innings. So I've got to give respect to Perry, at the moment it's looking like he's done a fine job with the pitching.

I think our rotation has over-achieved thus far. I expect Syndergaard and Lorenzen to start giving up more runs. And I am not yet sold on Detmers, at least not as someone who is going to help much this year. 

So I’d love to see us acquire Montas. Not sure Adell has enough value to be the centerpiece of a trade, but that might be a trade that makes sense for both teams. 

I just look at the Padres for example.  Went into the season in 2021 planning to go with Snell, Darvish, Musgrove, Paddack, Lamet, and a myriad of highly regarded young pitchers ready to compete for rotation spots and ended up having to sign Arrieta and Vince Velazquez in September after they were released in a last ditch attempt to try to make the playoffs.  We are already nowhere near as deep as they were

9 minutes ago, mmc said:

I just look at the Padres for example.  Went into the season in 2021 planning to go with Snell, Darvish, Musgrove, Paddack, Lamet, and a myriad of highly regarded young pitchers ready to compete for rotation spots and ended up having to sign Arrieta and Vince Velazquez in September after they were released in a last ditch attempt to try to make the playoffs.  We are already nowhere near as deep as they were

This is how I felt when the Angels released Upton. 

If the Bo Sox are still struggling, I’d love to see the Angels grab Chris Sale. Non-throwing  injury that should be back come late June and his limited previous innings would do well in a 6 man rotation. It would give us a scary 1, 2, 3 starting pitchers come playoffs.

I would avoid Strasburg.

52 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Kind of cool being the 10 year anniversary of him being here and all.

Segura might be available too

Has it really been 10 years already? Pretty wild how good of a pitcher he still is—and commanding a 1yr contract so it’s pretty low risk. Though, I’d imagine there will be a bidding war for him at the deadline, so it might cost a good prospect.

I would say no to Segura, since he seems to be a clubhouse cancer.

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

Get a starter and move Lorenzen to bullpen for playoffs.

I want to see another 10 starts at least before determining whether he’s a starter or a reliever.  He doesn’t k enough guys to be a great reliever. Also being a reliever means he’s probably not using all of his pitches 

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Get a starter and move Lorenzen to bullpen for playoffs.

Lorenzen has been solid until last night. I would say yes to this if one of the available starters is actually better than he’s been. Maybe bolstering the pen some more is a good option