• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Fletcher, Mayfield, Velazquez and Wade according to their WAR (so far)

Since there has been some debate about which players should play SS and 2nd, here's what WAR tells us:

Fletcher- 0.4 bWAR 0.1 fWAR

Wade- 0.3 bWAR 0.3 fWAR

Velazquez- 0.5 bWAR 0.0 fWAR

Mayfield- 0.4 bWAR 0.0 fWAR

So there's that to add to the debate.

Offensively, it is clear that the middle infield is the weakness of our team.

That said - if our SP and RP continue pitching as they have been, and the offense continues to perform as it has been, we can certainly sacrifice some offense for defense in our middle infield.

Velazquez at SS and Fletcher at 2B has to be one of the best defensive middle infield duos in baseball.  

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Offensively, it is clear that the middle infield is the weakness of our team.

That said - if our SP and RP continue pitching as they have been, and the offense continues to perform as it has been, we can certainly sacrifice some offense for defense in our middle infield.

Velazquez at SS and Fletcher at 2B has to be one of the best defensive middle infield duos in baseball.  

I agree

Ideally, Fletcher and Velazquez could improve offensively. Fletcher, in particular, since he has a guaranteed contract and he's had previous MLB success.

The most realistic best outcome for the Angels this season may be Stefanic being above average offensively, which would allow:

2B: Stefanic

SS: Velazquez

Bench/Pinch Runner: Wade

Bench/Defensive Replacement at 2B: Fletcher

17 hours ago, mmc said:

Which is why no one makes decisions based on WAR less than a month into the season 

Well according to their WAR so far, they are all very similar players. When does war become meaningful? Two months into the season? I'll check back in a month and see where all four players are at.

I understand what you mean about war so early in the season. Ji-Man Choi has higher WAR than many Angel Players. I'm simply pointing out that it doesn't really matter which player is out there right now. They have all been extremely similar as far as wins above replacement goes.