• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Free Stefanic

Fletcher's hard hit rate is 5.6%.  The lowest in baseball for anyone with at least 25 batted ball events.  The definition of a hard hit ball is one greater than 95mph.  He has 2.  One at 95.3 and one at 96.4.  The next closest of lowest hard hit ball rate is double his %.  per baseball savant.  

I'm not sure he's even capable of hitting a hr at this point considering the new ball and current hitting environment because of it.  

Oh and Stefanic whiffed once tonight.  He also hit a triple.  Fletcher will get more time but I'd get Stefanic in there.  

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

At this point I trust Velazquez more with the bat.  He hits the ball harder. 

He does.  By a lot.  The stats prove it.  One thing bothered me about him tonight.  They kept shifting to his pull side.  Even when he faced a guy throwing in the mid to high nineties.  The whole left side of the infield was open and the team needed base runners yet he made zero effort to slap the ball the other way for a hit.  Which is pretty much why he's hitting below .200 for his major league career.  You're not leavin' the yard Andy.  Get on base any way you can dude.  

But yeah, this is pretty much the thing I talked about the entire off season.  Lineup depth.  Which is why I'd really like to at least get a look at Stefanic.  He can't be any worse defensively than La Stella.  If I had my choice I'd be letting both he and Rengifo cut their teeth.  Worse defense for sure, but If you're gonna toss out replacement players, you might as well do so with guys who have some upside.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

He does.  By a lot.  The stats prove it.  One thing bothered me about him tonight.  They kept shifting to his pull side.  Even when he faced a guy throwing in the mid to high nineties.  The whole left side of the infield was open and the team needed base runners yet he made zero effort to slap the ball the other way for a hit.  Which is pretty much why he's hitting below .200 for his major league career.  You're not leavin' the yard Andy.  Get on base any way you can dude.  

But yeah, this is pretty much the thing I talked about the entire off season.  Lineup depth.  Which is why I'd really like to at least get a look at Stefanic.  He can't be any worse defensively than La Stella.  If I had my choice I'd be letting both he and Rengifo cut their teeth.  Worse defense for sure, but If you're gonna toss out replacement players, you might as well do so with guys who have some upside.  

But in that scenario Velazquez is the only real option to be sent down. His defense in my mind is too good to have him not on the roster. 

The Angels are in "win now" mode. Saying Rengifo and Stefanic can't be any worse than the current options isn't necessarily true. They could absolutely be worse and the Angels are going with guys with more experience.  I'm fine with that.  

There must be something in each player's game that is keeping them in AAA. I'll trust the front office on that.

Fletcher is hitting .158 with a .483 OPS and a 44 OPS+. Offensively, I can't imagine Stefanic being worse than that as Fletcher is arguably the worst hitter in the majors now. His defense is great at second but I will sacrifice some defense at second for offense. I just don't see us winning the division with two massive black holes offensively in the MIF.

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Fletcher's hard hit rate is 5.6%.  The lowest in baseball for anyone with at least 25 batted ball events.  The definition of a hard hit ball is one greater than 95mph.  He has 2.  One at 95.3 and one at 96.4.  The next closest of lowest hard hit ball rate is double his %.  per baseball savant.  

I'm not sure he's even capable of hitting a hr at this point considering the new ball and current hitting environment because of it.  

Oh and Stefanic whiffed once tonight.  He also hit a triple.  Fletcher will get more time but I'd get Stefanic in there.  

What happened to this dude? It was like the day he signed that contract he forgot how to play baseball. Sure a lot of this is on the league figuring him out, but his approach seems different as well.

9 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

What happened to this dude? It was like the day he signed that contract he forgot how to play baseball. Sure a lot of this is on the league figuring him out, but his approach seems different as well.

Dead ball isn't helping, but the league adjusted and he seems to have doubled down on his approach instead of figuring out how to adjust for success. 

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Dead ball isn't helping, but the league adjusted and he seems to have doubled down on his approach instead of figuring out how to adjust for success. 

It's possible too that he has been injured for a chunk of time and has just tried to play through it.  Hard to say.  That said, it's somewhat of a relief to see him on the IL in that whoever takes his place will be an improvement (offensively).  I would expect to see Wade and Rengifo get a chunk of starts for now.

11 hours ago, True Grich said:

The Angels are in "win now" mode. Saying Rengifo and Stefanic can't be any worse than the current options isn't necessarily true. They could absolutely be worse and the Angels are going with guys with more experience.  I'm fine with that.  

There must be something in each player's game that is keeping them in AAA. I'll trust the front office on that.

the 'win now' thing is funny.  they did what they did to start the season in the MIF because of budget.  If that theory applied they wouldn't have picked up two guys off waivers, and not had more than that as a back up to one of the worst hitters in baseball last year.  Rengifo and Stefanic could be worse, maybe.  But really by how much?  They're barely above replacement level and it's not like some aberration.  The small sample probably does the Angels a favor right now.  

If by 'win now' Joe and Perry aren't likely to do something weird and start two rookies all of a sudden when the team is winning and in first place, I get it.  But my point is that they're winning in spite of it instead of because of it and at some point, over a long season, that's gonna become clear.  

So if 0 WAR (or slightly above) are acceptable right now, why not put a couple guys out there that might not end up replacement level.  Because Fletcher, Velazquez and Wade are pretty much assured of that over the long haul.  Whereas you might have something with the other guys and won't know unless you try.  

And there is something in each player's game that's keeping them in the minors.  A couple things.  The first if that the defense gets worse with Rengifo and Stefanic in the MIF.  So I get that.  Frankly, I don't think Velazquez is going anywhere all season.  I'm waiting for Maddon to give him a Javy Baez D comp.  Fletcher get the benefit of the doubt because of his contract.  The Angels have blown up other guys contracts for better players.  But the guys I'm promoting aren't clearly going to get the benefit of that doubt at this point.  And Wade has no options.  So a big chunk of this is roster management.  

At the end of the day, it's just too early for what I'm proposing.  They'll never make that drastic of a move for a team that's 19-11 and maybe they shouldn't.  And I'm really not trying to sell Rengifo on this that hard.  That's a stretch.  But they've got to get Fletcher out of the lineup.  He's brutal.  That's really what I'm pining for.  And maybe Stefanic isn't the answer, but I personally don't think they'd be any worse for wear if they gave him a shot.  

The team is probably gonna struggle at some point.  As all teams do over the course of a season.  Don't wait till then to let a guy cut his teeth.  So stage it.  

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the 'win now' thing is funny.  they did what they did to start the season in the MIF because of budget.  If that theory applied they wouldn't have picked up two guys off waivers, and not had more than that as a back up to one of the worst hitters in baseball last year.  Rengifo and Stefanic could be worse, maybe.  But really by how much?  They're barely above replacement level and it's not like some aberration.  The small sample probably does the Angels a favor right now.  

If by 'win now' Joe and Perry aren't likely to do something weird and start two rookies all of a sudden when the team is winning and in first place, I get it.  But my point is that they're winning in spite of it instead of because of it and at some point, over a long season, that's gonna become clear.  

So if 0 WAR (or slightly above) are acceptable right now, why not put a couple guys out there that might not end up replacement level.  Because Fletcher, Velazquez and Wade are pretty much assured of that over the long haul.  Whereas you might have something with the other guys and won't know unless you try.  

And there is something in each player's game that's keeping them in the minors.  A couple things.  The first if that the defense gets worse with Rengifo and Stefanic in the MIF.  So I get that.  Frankly, I don't think Velazquez is going anywhere all season.  I'm waiting for Maddon to give him a Javy Baez D comp.  Fletcher get the benefit of the doubt because of his contract.  The Angels have blown up other guys contracts for better players.  But the guys I'm promoting aren't clearly going to get the benefit of that doubt at this point.  And Wade has no options.  So a big chunk of this is roster management.  

At the end of the day, it's just too early for what I'm proposing.  They'll never make that drastic of a move for a team that's 19-11 and maybe they shouldn't.  And I'm really not trying to sell Rengifo on this that hard.  That's a stretch.  But they've got to get Fletcher out of the lineup.  He's brutal.  That's really what I'm pining for.  And maybe Stefanic isn't the answer, but I personally don't think they'd be any worse for wear if they gave him a shot.  

The team is probably gonna struggle at some point.  As all teams do over the course of a season.  Don't wait till then to let a guy cut his teeth.  So stage it.  

Well, maybe you’ll get your wish since Fletcher is on the IL and could have surgery AND Rengifo is up.

31 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Well, maybe you’ll get your wish since Fletcher is on the IL and could have surgery AND Rengifo is up.

then my wish would be for Renifo to play everyday while that happens.  Not to ride the pine.  But he's in a spot where he's gotta prove himself like he did today.   I agree it's unrealistic they hand him a job even though that's what I'd prefer at this point.