• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jason Vargas: Sign to an extension or trade for prospects?

Chuck

Extend Vargas or Trade Him?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sign Vargas to an extension or trade him for prospects?

• Extend him
    • Trade him

Not sure why anyone would want to trade away a solid 2/3 starting pitcher for a prospect or a bullpen arm. Especially since it seems that JV is really enjoying his time here. He may be had for a reasonable price. You have to ask yourself, Are we one prospect or a bullpen arm away from everything changing? I think not!

Are we one anything away from anything changing? Just signing Vargas alone isn't even anything changing. If nothing is changing we aren't winning so we might as well try to get younger.

I'd say keep him. 

only way they trade him is if he doesn't accept an extension  

THIS!  We need a quality starting pitcher, and he is a quality starting pitcher!  However, we can't afford to lose him for nothing.  So we have to offer an extension before the trade period.  If he declines than get as much as you can for him.  Since pitching is a high commodity  we should get a couple of good prospects for him.

There will be plenty of teams that will offer him more money than he knows what to do with.  So you really have to make an environment in which Trout will want to stay in.  

That is easy!  Offer him 15 million a year for the next ten years starting this fall!  We will have Trout until he is 32.  He will have him cheap because if he goes FA he is in the 20+ million range.

Now why would Trout sign early?  Simple!  He is only guaranteed 450 K next year.  Then he has his arbitration years and he will make less than 15 million in arbitration.  Yes, he will get paid less the last six year than what he would make through FA but he would get paid more in the first four years.  Plus there is the incentive of taking the big money on the table NOW instead of waiting another four years.  It would be a huge risk for Trout to turn down 150 million when your one injury away from retirement.

Don't like the odds of that, ettin. I'd be reluctant to sign with a team that traded me unless I had no choice and he'll have choices.

I don't think Vargas would take it that personal.  Especially if you tell him the only reason your trading him is to resign him in the Fall and collect a couple of good players in return.  

Nope. The only multi-year deals that should be given out are to players that are 28 years old or less and only 2-4 years max. Look up the Oakland A's payroll. They have only 2 players (Crisp 33 & Nakajima 30) tied up in multi-year contracts in their 30's and both deals are very affordable. That team makes good payroll decisions. The 3-year $30 million deal mentioned for Vargas would make him the highest paid player on the A's.

First, if you limit extension to 2-4 years you can say good bye to Mr. Trout in four years.

Second, as impressed as I am with the A's this year and last year, I do not believe  to model their success.  They have had some God awful years in between the years they are competitive.

Maybe you're right but I don't see why we couldn't simply explain it to him up front? "Hey Jason we're gonna trade you for a prospect or two but we'd love to resign you in the offseason?"

In the end it's the front office having some sort of conversation with Vargas about what he would like.

Sounds good on paper, but it makes me leery. Jason (and/or his agent) can say anything and then when he gets the offers we're forgotten.

I like the bird in the hand.

I don't think Vargas would take it that personal.  Especially if you tell him the only reason your trading him is to resign him in the Fall and collect a couple of good players in return.  

Is that even "legal?" It sounds sort of shady.

First, if you limit extension to 2-4 years you can say good bye to Mr. Trout in four years.

Second, as impressed as I am with the A's this year and last year, I do not believe  to model their success.  They have had some God awful years in between the years they are competitive.

1. You make an exception for a guy like Trout because he will be so young hitting FA, but even so a 10 year contract is really like offering him a 6 year deal since 4 of those are already club controlled. You aren't extending the time he's under contract by 10.

2. The A's model isn't a perfect analogy because they can't sustain success for as long as a high budget team like the Angels can. They can't resign their own players as easily. But they do make a good model in showing that you can take a step back and then two forward. It also shows how quickly a rebuild can take place. They made the playoffs in what, 2007 and rebuilt by 2012 without the resources we have? Now they may contend for the next 5 years. If we did that we could contend for a decade.

As detailed here (shameless plus, sorry), the Angels have a great opportunity to extend Vargas for cheap. If they give him a qualifying offer, they'll essentially take him off the market. We saw last off-season that teams aren't willing to forfeit draft picks for mid-level players. That should give the Halos carte blanche to sign Vargas to a team-friendly two- or three-year deal. Besides, he is a perfect fit for this outfield defense and ballpark considering his extreme flyball tendencies, something that would actually make him a tough sell on the trade market. Rebuilding is great and all, but if you think Moreno is going to let Dipoto go into tear down mode, you're nuts. They need Vargas to hold down a rotation spot as a steady presence while they work to find upgrades over Blanton and Hanson.

The free agent pool after this season is shit.  I think they have to keep him.  He's pitched well here, and he'll be as good as anyone else they can sign in his place.  Maybe he'll give them a hometown discount.  It won't be easy to fill the two spots Hanson and Blanton have (assuming Blanton won't be a starter next year).  Filling 3 with what's on the FA market and limited trade chips will be next to impossible.