• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Time to make Shohei an Angel for life

Taylor

On 9/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, Jason said:

I think Trout knows his contract and injury history makes him untradeable at this point 

I disagree. Dude missed a month and a half and STILL has the 2nd most homers in the AL and the 4th most overall. 

You've got to be straight up blind to think any team (or a team that clearly has no problem spending money) wouldn't be happy to have Trout on their team, regardless of his injury history. 

He's still one of the best ballplayers in the league. 

As for Ohtani, I hope they pay to keep him, and furthermore build a team around him and Trout that is capable of making it to the playoffs. As much as I would love to wear my Angel hats with pride, I more want to see these guys get there because they deserve it. 

22 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The Angels have nothing to gain by losing Ohtani. Even if he gets a record contract there's no way they could use that money to sign a better collection of players than what Ohtani brings to the table.

Especially with the offset in fan and marketing revenue.  You could spend 40m on Ohtani but if you didn't, you'd only have 30m to spend otherwise.  

Following Ohtani is pretty much a major  reason to watch Angel games for many. It must be what it was like for the general public watching Babe Ruth do things that hadn't been done before.

Not as extroverted and bombastic an image, and without the New York hype and Yankee powerhouse teams. But absolutely more athletic, multi skilled and poised. And baseball focussed. 

The comparison with Ruth really has to be with Ruth as a Red Sox player. Obviously what he did was stupendous, but he didn't really have a single year of two way transcendent  greatness. 1916-17 he was a dominant pitcher, but wasn't a slugger yet. 1918 his pitching numbers went down and his slugging up. But not close to his career range. 1919 he didn't pitch a lot, but his slugging took a major turn upward, with 29 homers.  Far more than anyone else. But he was turning into a one way player.

He never had the at bats and starts that Ohtani has had in a single year. When he pitched 300 innings he had only about 130 or so at bats. When he had 400 at bats he just pitched about 130 innings.   He was still a phenom for his time, but his Yankee, one way play is why he is a legend 

I'd be crazy to demean Ruth in any way, but he's the only player in history who is remotely comparable to Ohtani. And it was just for about four two way seasons.

Now, Judge. 

Technically Judge was out-homered by Bonds, Sosa and McGwire, so what he is doing has been done before. Regardless of the obvious retrospective revision, fans have had the thrill of 60 plus homers before. And you never know how the future will reconsider the controversy. 

But the ultra elite two play of Ohtani has never ever been matched. Top five at the minimum for all key pitching and hitting stats. And without the support of even a modestly winning team.

Put together 1957/8 MVP Ernie Banks on a losing Cubs team and 1970s Nolan Ryan on a mediocre 75 - 80  1972 Angels team  and you have a rough idea. And add on his speed, which Banks lacked. And his winning percentage, which is better than Ryan.

The Angels have to find away to keep him long term. They aren't that far from building a good team around him in a year or two. 

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I think the Halos lost Ohtani when Moreno decided not to sell the franchise.

I think the die is set.  

My prediction - Ohtani. dons a Los Angeles Dodgers uni in 2024

The "good" news is that, once Arte decided to keep the team, letting Ohtani walk became the optimal move.

50 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I think the Halos lost Ohtani when Moreno decided not to sell the franchise.

I think the die is set.  

My prediction - Ohtani. dons a Los Angeles Dodgers uni in 2024

@Chuckster70 said Moreno keeping the team makes it more likely that the Angels will re-sign Ohtani.

12 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This has been argued before. But if the Angels really want to keep him they have the ability to do so.

I’m not 100% certain of that. I could see a scenario where he takes less money to go elsewhere. Honestly, the success of this team in 2023 will likely be the deciding factor. 

Based on Artes most recent contract its possible many of us (including myself) have this all wrong.
He compared it to Trout, said hes willing, but Ohtani has to make up his mind that he wants to be here. 
IF thats all true then the balls is in Ohtani's court, not Artes.
Ohtani always had all the control, but many of us have been assuming Arte wasnt willing to do what it takes.
I guess well see.