• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ruminations on the Middle Infield

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Once I asked because the schedule was almost impossible to do commercially (a series starting with a day game on Memorial Day or Labor Day) but I was told no. 

whoa. i thought beat writers almost exclusively traveled with the team and stayed in the same hotel. 

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

This, and I would apply it to the offseason. It was either a premium (and expensive) shortstop, or a shotgun approach. They wanted to spend their money on pitching, so we got the latter. I know @Dochalo wanted a middle ground, but there were limited options. Actually, the shortstop market was strange that way: Half a dozen or so premium options, only a few middle-ground options, and the usual array of filler.

Anyhow, so far the results fro the middle infielders are pretty good, @Dtwncbad. Mayfield, Wade, and Duffy have all hit really well and Velazquez's defense has been a pleasant surprise. Only Fletcher has pretty much shown nothing, but he also only played in 5 games.

But I don't mean to downplay your concern, as there are two problems: One, no single player has everything in one package; if we could combine Duffy's bat and Velazquez's glove, we'd have a borderline star. Secondly, we're still talking small sample sizes, and the offensive numbers will equalize. But this also works both ways: maybe Velazquez improves and/or Fletcher plays better.

So I think the plan is pretty clear: keep doing what they're doing, especially giving Velazquez every opportunity to improve his offense. If things start turning sour, they have a few guys in the minors to try out--Rengifo, Davis, Stefanic. If the middle infield is in shambles, then they might look for a trade...but that's not until July.

I remember feeling in the offseason that a trade for a guy like Ahmed would help the team big time because our MIF defense was so bad last year, a defense only guy would be an upgrade. And I think Velazquez is comparable defensively. However, the question becomes late game situations: do you PH for him when tied/down 1 and runners on? With Ohtani behind him, he's not going to get many fastballs to hit in those situations. I like pinch hitting a Mayfield or Duffy in those situations. 

On 4/20/2022 at 1:59 PM, Stradling said:

When Fletcher comes back put him at 2nd, Velazquez at SS, use Wade and Duffy in their current utility roles and dump Mayfield. 

I'd say you could dump Duffy instead of Mayfield, but they seem like the two likeliest candidates that get bumped.