• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Maddon and Minasian

mmc

minasian-joe-800x533.jpeg

Anyone else get the sense that there is a clear disconnect between the two?  Seems to be multiple instances of them not being on the same page regarding the roster.  The Ray Montgomery move to the coaching staff was also a huge indicator.  Why else would Perry want one of his guys, who has no prior coaching experience down there?  Just feels like Perry needs to be given the authority to pick his own coaching staff at this point.

Mountains out of mole hills. Most GM's can work with whoever the manager is. The truth is managers aren't nearly as impactful as we believe. And conversely, most managers can work under any GM. 

Very rarely will you find two very well compensated adults that absolutely can't work together. I work with a bunch of people I have nothing in common with and would never spend time with outside of work. And yet we get the job done with no drama, because we are adults. 

Minasian and Maddon are fine. 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Mountains out of mole hills. Most GM's can work with whoever the manager is. The truth is managers aren't nearly as impactful as we believe. And conversely, most managers can work under any GM. 

Very rarely will you find two very well compensated adults that absolutely can't work together. I work with a bunch of people I have nothing in common with and would never spend time with outside of work. And yet we get the job done with no drama, because we are adults. 

Minasian and Maddon are fine. 

yeah mostly.  but Maddon seems intent on being so.  

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Not sure. But judging by his name, he has hookups. He sounds like a guy who has hookups in an 80s tv show.

Its also possible he was signed when we failed to sign Robbie Ray this past winter. 

Great call on Ray being on tv.

Ray Montgomery TV Shows

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't on the same page.  It is very common for any new GM to want to bring in his own people to manage the team.  I'm sure he has a various managerial candidates that he feels can help better execute his vision of the team than Maddon.  

That said, Minasian will never vocalize otherwise.  We'll see what happens, but I would not be surprised to see Maddon depart after this year, when his contract expires.  

Am I in the minority here being someone who likes Maddon?

I actually feel this year's club is much more built to what Maddon was wanting and seeks over last year's club, so if anything, it feels like he and Minasian are more on the same page. Maddon was very public about the Angels needing pitching and relievers and they signed Syndergaard, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Loup, Tepera, and Bradley. 

Tyler Wade is something Maddon would create in a lab. 

We fans overthink and overanalyze things like bullpen decisions and lineups, but really most of that by now is especially data-driven, no fault of Maddon's. I don't think he's making any decisions there that aren't what Minasian, Montgomery, or their data team would be suggesting. Maddon's true job (and that of pretty much any manager in this current era) is simply nurturing a strong, supportive clubhouse with a bunch of different personalities, and the Angels seem to be functioning fairly well there, especially given how much worse it could be. Cutting veteran stars, the Skaggs' scandal, the minor league conditions, the injuries, the pressure on getting Ohtani and Trout to playoffs, a meddling owner, the clubhouse pitcher goop thing...there's a good chance this stuff is being masked really well if there are clubhouse issues, but I'm getting the sense they crescendoed around the time of Scioscia's departure, Ausmus' season, Maddon's arrival...and Maddon has done a good job of righting the internal culture ship.