• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 MLB Season Thread

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Mang hit 2 HR today. But here's the thing: the first was in the 5th when the Cardinals were up 11-0; the second was in the 9th when they were up 15-0.

I remember that Pujols: padding his HR total with meaningless displays of power.

Up 15-0 and against a position player

Byron Buxton is fast becoming the game's most overrated player. Yeah, he's really good. But his career high fWAR in a season is 4.1 last year (and yes, in 61 games). His 5.7 WAR in 2021-22 is in 88 games, which is about a 10 WAR pace. So he's really good. But let's see him do it for a full year - or at least 120 games in a single season - before calling him one of the best players in the game, let alone the best. 

Oh, and Manny Machado has more than double his WAR this year.

While I'm at it, here are the active players in the top 200 in career fWAR:

27. Justin Verlander (39) 73.5

29. Clayton Kershaw (34) 70.5

36. Max Scherzer (37) 67.0

42. Zack Greinke (38) 64.8

123. Adam Wainwright (40) 45.3

124. Chris Sale (33) 45.3

142. David Price (36) 42.3

170. Jacob deGrom (34) 38.9

194. Stephen Strasburg (33) 36.6

198. Corey Kluber (36) 36.5

199. Gerrit Cole (31) 36.5

Obviously there's a big gap between the top four--all of whom are locks for the Hall of Fame--and the rest. Sale is a bit tragic, as injuries have derailed a Hall-bound career. It is hard imagining him rebounding.

DeGrom will be interesting: such a high peak, but he can't stay healthy. He's the only active pitcher with a 9 WAR season (although BR has Aaron Nola with a 9.7 WAR season), and the first since Randy Johnson in 2004. While Hall voters are less beholden to WAR for pitchers, I still think he'll need to get to around 50 WAR to have a chance - not for that specific number, but because it represents about how much more value he needs to add up to his resume. If he does make it, he'll probably be the HOF starter with the fewest innings pitched in modern history (post WW2). Koufax pitched 2324.1 IP; DeGrom's at 1261.1 IP.

Cole has a chance - but he'll need to stay healthy and near peak form for another 3-4 years. The rest are Hall of the Very Good.

Edited by Angelsjunky

https://nypost.com/2022/05/22/liam-hendriks-josh-donaldsons-jackie-explanation-bulls-t/

Hendriks, who was a teammate of Donaldson’s with the Blue Jays in 2015, said players on other teams have had similar experiences with him when they shared a clubhouse.

“My feelings towards the individual in question are pretty well-documented, the fact that we don’t get along,” Hendriks said. “And the fact that I have now spoken to I think it’s four separate clubhouses that he’s been into? And as a whole, none of them have gotten along [with Donaldson]. So him trying to whip out that narrative is complete and utter bulls–t…I don’t understand how he ever thought about it like that. It’s just straight delusional.”