• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels DFA Justin Upton, reinstate Ty Buttrey

mmc

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think you could argue that Trey Cabbage is as good as Justin Upton right now. 

Anyhow, Upton finishes his Angels career with 2.8 WAR for $96M total (adjusting 2020). That's $34.3M per 1 WAR. Compare the money per 1 WAR, adjusted to what the Angels actually paid:

Upton: $34.3M ($96M for 2.8 WAR)

Pujols: $43.0M ($232M for 5.4 WAR)

Hamilton: $44.8M ($107.5M for 2.4 WAR)

Wells: $125.5M ($75.3M for 0.6 WAR)

Meaning, as bad as Upton's contract ended up being - and it was very bad - it wasn't nearly as bad as those three. 

Pujols was worse than the above implies, because the total contract was so much larger. If we consider a free agent contract that is $8M/1 WAR as breaking even, Pujols only "earned" about $43M of his $232...meaning, there's about $190M wasted over the value of his actual performance. Hamilton is $90M, Wells and Upton about $70M each.

I hope Rendon does not end up on this list

Oh well. Like this was not expected? Happy trails, Mr. Upton. There must still be several DH jobs open in the National League.

Been busy today but better late than never to catch the last couple of AZ outs for the Angels and then a 1-2-3 Cubbies ninth. 

GO ANGELS!!! 

Didn't notice a GD thread after a quick scroll. Maybe I missed it.

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I would have kept him on the bench but in Perry we trust. 

That would not be entirely fair to Upton. I’m certain that was discussed with him. He will end up somewhere where they need a starting OF 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

The players are retarded.

do they really think that someone should make a team just because they hit 2 home runs and 6 RBIs in spring training? Those two have been around long enough to know the business side of the game. I assume they are just trying to stir shit up on Twitter 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

do they really think that someone should make a team just because they hit 2 home runs and 6 RBIs in spring training? Those two have been around long enough to know the business side of the game. I assume they are just trying to stir shit up on Twitter 

Some people think guys are ready based on ST success....   So, for many thats yes.

6 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Should have at least kept him for a month with expanded rosters to see how the OF shook up with performance/injuries. 

That would have reduced the risk, but I like that they’re making the future now.  Perhaps Upton was the least desirable player left on the 40 man roster.