• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels could bounce David Fletcher around the infield this season, even within the same inning

TEMPE, Ariz. — The Angels may get creative with their infield this season.

Manager Joe Maddon said on Sunday that they could flip David Fletcher back and forth between shortstop and second base during an inning, to have him in position to make more plays.

When Maddon managed the Tampa Bay Rays in 2012, he made a similar move a handful of times with infielder Jeff Keppinger, flipping him from one side of the infield to the other during the game.

“We’ve talked about it,” Maddon said of using Fletcher that way. “He’s aware of it. I don’t want you to think we’re going to go nuts with it, but it’s something we’re considering depending on who is out there at the time.”

During Sunday’s Cactus League game, Fletcher was listed as the shortstop, but he also went into the hole in right field when the Angels were in a shift. It’s not unusual for a team to put their shortstop, or even third baseman, in that spot.

At one point, when the Angels moved from a shift to a traditional defense in the middle of an at-bat, Fletcher moved from right field into the normal second base position, while Luis Rengifo went across the bag into the shortstop spot. During the next at-bat, with a right-handed hitter up, Fletcher and Rengifo flipped positions again.

Tyler Wade and Matt Duffy are currently the leading candidates to play up the middle with Fletcher, in some alignment.

OHTANI AT LEADOFF

Maddon said he’s going to start the season with Shohei Ohtani as his leadoff hitter.

“I like him leading off,” Maddon said. “I think that’s the best spot for him. I like when the whole batting order protects him.”

Fletcher had been the Angels leadoff hitter before slumping offensively last season. If Ohtani hits first, he would likely be followed by Mike Trout, Anthony Rendon and Jared Walsh.

COBB’S THOUGHTS

Last season Alex Cobb enjoyed a career revival with the Angels, and he and the Angels both expressed interest in a reunion for 2022. Cobb became a free agent, though, and he signed a two-year, $20-million deal with the San Francisco Giants.

After pitching against the Angels in a Cactus League game on Sunday, Cobb said he did have interest in returning.

“I spent one year over there and it felt like 10,” Cobb said. “A lot of great relationships. That was part of the major reason why I would have liked to have gone back and continued those.”

Cobb did not get into specifics about his talks with the Angels over the winter, but he suggested the decision was more about positives with the Giants than negatives with the Angels.

“Ultimately, you watch from afar and see what they’ve done organizationally,” Cobb said. “I know the background most of their front office, where they come from their line of thought, heard through other players, certain things that are intriguing about what they do here and then you see the success on the field. You can’t argue what they did last year worked not only for their pitchers, but their offense had a great year. Their defense was incredible.

“It’s very hard to go into an offseason and pick out what team is going to win throughout the season, but you can kind of increase your odds. So I think ultimately, that was the biggest decision.”

NOTES

Trout homered and went 3 for 5 in a minor league game on Sunday. Trout had missed a couple days of camp to attend a funeral, so the Angels wanted him to play in a minor league game so he could catch up on his missed plate appearances quickly. …

Justin Upton homered, singled and drew two walks in the same minor league game.

View the full article

4 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“It’s very hard to go into an offseason and pick out what team is going to win throughout the season, but you can kind of increase your odds. So I think ultimately, that was the biggest decision.”

You can’t blame a player for wanting to win, I guess.