• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Spring Training Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Feels like Perry is all-in on Lorenzen succeeding as a SP. I wondered if Angels verbally overstated the "you can compete for a rotation spot" but it certainly looks like they view him as a SP. Perry might be banking the season on it. 

I keep thinking Perry signed Lorenzen and Thor near the beginning of the offseason, these are the guys he wanted.  Definitely a gamble but if they both do well Perry will look great, if they both flop he’s basically screwed and so are we.

I don't see us acquiring an impact player at SS or in the rotation unless we're doing well and trade for someone mid season. Pen is looking good, though.

Rotation looks rickety to me. Ohtani will always be an injury risk due to his workload. Syndergaard is coming off of TJ, and Sandoval was injured a significant portion of 2021 also. Lorenzen hasn't been a starter in years. Canning is out for a few months. Can Suarez improve or continue on his play last season? And we really don't have a clear sixth starter. Maybe Barria, but I'd rather use him as long relief and an emergency starter.

All that to say, I think Perry should (and I suspect will) acquire a sixth starter. Word was he was looking at Tyler Anderson. At this point, I'd be okay with that as a depth move and it should be affordable. I'd also like to (I don't think we will) acquire an inexpensive shortstop. I mean, I'd prefer to go get Correa, but zero chance of that, so I'll settle for a solid starter who won't be replacement level or worse. 

Maybe Arte's done, but he shouldn't be. Shoring up depth at SP and SS with two more moves , even relatively small ones, would give us good stability and not waste our opportunity to make the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don't see us acquiring an impact player at SS or in the rotation unless we're doing well and trade for someone mid season. Pen is looking good, though.

Rotation looks rickety to me. Ohtani will always be an injury risk due to his workload. Syndergaard is coming off of TJ, and Sandoval was injured a significant portion of 2021 also. Lorenzen hasn't been a starter in years. Canning is out for a few months. Can Suarez improve or continue on his play last season? And we really don't have a clear sixth starter. Maybe Barria, but I'd rather use him as long relief and an emergency starter.

All that to say, I think Perry should (and I suspect will) acquire a sixth starter. Word was he was looking at Tyler Anderson. At this point, I'd be okay with that as a depth move and it should be affordable. I'd also like to (I don't think we will) acquire an inexpensive shortstop. I mean, I'd prefer to go get Correa, but zero chance of that, so I'll settle for a solid starter who won't be replacement level or worse. 

Maybe Arte's done, but he shouldn't be. Shoring up depth at SP and SS with two more moves , even relatively small ones, would give us good stability and not waste our opportunity to make the playoffs. 

would Duffy at SS be that guy for you or do you want more?

5 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

We definitely should look at more. Having Duffy as a role player would be so much better than having him as a starter. Especially since we don't know how Fletcher is going to improve over last year.

11 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I like the Duffy move, and I feel better about the middle infield than I did a few days ago. But I'd prefer Duffy and/or Fletcher (depending whether he bounces from a down 2021 season) takes the utility infield role (or trade off depending who is playing better) and we get a more reliable SS. Simple fact is that Fletcher wasn't great defensively last season at short. His value is at second, but Duffy isn't really a shortstop either. Our depth would be significantly improved with one more move, even if it's just a mild improvement. 

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

We definitely should look at more. Having Duffy as a role player would be so much better than having him as a starter. Especially since we don't know how Fletcher is going to improve over last year.

Fletcher really needs a huge bounce back season... especially if he's going to lead off.  I don't think Angels fans have been critical enough about how crappy he was last year.

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Fletcher really needs a huge bounce back season... especially if he's going to lead off.  I don't think Angels fans have been critical enough about how crappy he was last year.

Lot of fans don't like hearing anything negative on Fletcher. Fact is, he wasn't great last year. His offense was down, and his defense wasn't as good either because he played a lot more at SS where he's barely above average defensively. That kills his value, though. He needs to be at 2B. He also needs to be more selective at the plate because teams seem to have figured out he's an easy out if you pitch around him and let him swing at bad balls. If he can make those adjustments, he should be a solid 2B, but that remains to be seen if he will. 

5 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Lot of fans don't like hearing anything negative on Fletcher. Fact is, he wasn't great last year. His offense was down, and his defense wasn't as good either because he played a lot more at SS where he's barely above average defensively. That kills his value, though. He needs to be at 2B. He also needs to be more selective at the plate because teams seem to have figured out he's an easy out if you pitch around him and let him swing at bad balls. If he can make those adjustments, he should be a solid 2B, but that remains to be seen if he will. 

He wasn't just "not great". He was one of the worst players in baseball. 

You can post that here. Just not on reddit because they're retarded.

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He wasn't just "not great". He was one of the worst players in baseball. 

You can post that here. Just not on reddit because they're retarded.

Ha. There was a time when people here refused to say anything negative about Fletcher. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, Lou said:

Fletcher gets more passes than Jerry Rice.

37 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Yea I can’t state it any more clearly. Fletcher was one of the very worst offensive players in the league, especially when you factor in how many at bats he got. 

15 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Maybe because in 2020, calling him out was stupid because he was actually a really solid player. 

At the time that was posted in 2020, Fletcher had an ops of .450 

7 minutes ago, Lou said:

what month was that? because he finished 2020 with an .801 ops, his highest of his career. he had an ops+ that year of 120. so he was 20% better than the average major leaguer. c'mon now.

14 minutes ago, Lou said:

He had a 122 wRC+ on the year and a 1.5 WAR in 49 games. So, basically, it was an idiotic overreaction that you're now trying to spin into a connection into 2021 when he was legitimately bad as opposed to 2020 when he wasn't. 

7 minutes ago, ukyah said:

what month was that? because he finished 2020 with an .801 ops, his highest of his career. he had an ops+ that year of 120. so he was 20% better than the average major leaguer. c'mon now.

That's just Lou doing his bizarre thing where he takes something that is technically true but ultimately irrelevant to the larger conversation and tries to make a point with it. 

Fletcher had a .450 OPS after the first game of 2020, which was when Lou posted that. It was never lower than .762 after any other game in 2020.

That said, he was beyond bad last year. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

He had a 122 wRC+ on the year and a 1.5 WAR in 49 games. So, basically, it was an idiotic overreaction that you're now trying to spin into a connection into 2021 when he was legitimately bad as opposed to 2020 when he wasn't. 

Exactly. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Again, he had an ops of .450 at the time it was posted. The rest of 2020 had nothing to do with it. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

That's just Lou doing his bizarre thing where he takes something that is technically true but ultimately irrelevant to the larger conversation and tries to make a point with it. 

Fletcher had a .450 OPS after the first game of 2020, which was when Lou posted that. It was never lower than .762 after any other game in 2020.

That said, he was beyond bad last year. 

Or my comment was based on everything that had occurred before that date, not just in 2020. PB made it about only 2020, not me.