• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: MLB makes slight moves toward players in lockout talk

AngelsWin.com

3 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

I don't understand the benefit of a draft lottery. Owners are at 4 teams now and players wanted 8. Let's say they compromise and it's 6 teams. Wouldn't this increase the chance that teams go into fire sale mode and tank? One of the biggest issues the league has is a lack of competitive balance. How does this help?

The MLB draft doesn't have the immediate impact of the NFL or NBA draft. So what is the benefit to the product on the field in the short term or in the present?

You misunderstand.  The worst MLB teams go into the NBA lottery as the first step in transitioning them out of MLB because they suck.

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

My expectations have been narrowed down to the point where I'll be happy if they make the playoffs sometime in the next five years.

My expectations have been beaten down so far that just seeing Trout play 130 games with no major injuries to any of the major players and with the ball-club staying out of the headlines for criminal or just stupid behaviour for a full season would be a major win. Anything above that is a cherry on top.

The only nailed on expectations I have are: Ohtani will make me go wow at some point; and at some stage of the season I'll be checking Trout's latest injury update hoping for good news. 

12 hours ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

I don't understand the benefit of a draft lottery. Owners are at 4 teams now and players wanted 8. Let's say they compromise and it's 6 teams. Wouldn't this increase the chance that teams go into fire sale mode and tank? One of the biggest issues the league has is a lack of competitive balance. How does this help?

The MLB draft doesn't have the immediate impact of the NFL or NBA draft. So what is the benefit to the product on the field in the short term or in the present?

It's just another meaningless concession for the owners to give the players in exchange for something that actually negatively impacts player wages.

I don't know where this thread went off topic, but I'm choosing to be optimistic and say they'll get the framework of a deal in place by the end of the weekend, and will sign it Monday. 

That way players can report next week. 

And games can start in early March.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

I don't know where this thread went off topic, but I'm choosing to be optimistic and say they'll get the framework of a deal in place by the end of the weekend, and will sign it Monday. 

That way players can report next week. 

And games can start in early March.

There are things to work out, but the two sides are not really at any structural impasse (like whether or not there will be a luxury tax or whether or not there will be a pool for pre-Arb players).

They are mostly negotiating dollar amounts and thresholds at this point.

Given that, they should be able to resolve all this now that the timeline will play its role in driving them toward each other.

I think it will get done.