• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Quero has shown more at an earlier age and in more "hostile" pitching environments.  The only thing O'Hoppe has on him is he's further along and catchers have a tendency to crater at High A/AA offensively.  

Quero's biggest issue right now is being part of a farm system that many analysts view with a great deal of skepticism.  It happens and the only way to change that view is to start producing talent.

O'Hoppe is known for his defense and coaches and peers praise his handling of a pitching staff. The kids is a QB1 and a leader through and through. The fact that he's got some pop and plate discipline is icing on the cake. 

I think that's what separates them. Not saying Quero isn't that. Just saying that we know that's who O'Hoppe is. 

Comparing Quero and O'Hoppe makes more sense by age and/or level. So we have:

2022 Quero (19, A): .314/.425/.502 in 376 PA

2019 O'Hoppe (19, A-): .216/.266/.407 in 177 PA

From that perspective, Quero looks much better. But two other factors should be considered: 1) O'Hoppe is known for his great make-up, and what is impressive is that he improves at every level: .270/.335/.459 in A+ at age 21, .273/.396/.492  in AA at age 22. 2) How a player performs at one level isn't necessarily indicative of how they play at a higher levels - especially much higher levels. We can call this the Brandon Decker Maxim.

So I find myself both more impressed with Quero's performance, but also more confident with O'Hoppe's floor. O'Hoppe seems like a surefire average (2-3 WAR) regular, with a good chance of becoming above average (3-4 WAR). Quero could still be anything from a minor league flame-out to a backup catcher to a star.

Edited by Angelsjunky

19 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Kind of a big jump.

I've been saying that Pina could factor into the bullpen next year. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they didn't promote him to AA a month ago. But AAA? Either a crowded AA staff and/or they want to get a look at him this year.

47 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've been saying that Pina could factor into the bullpen next year. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they didn't promote him to AA a month ago. But AAA? Either a crowded AA staff and/or they want to get a look at him this year.

Did Pina get some AA innings last year? I feel like he did.

Feels kinda like he’s on the Oliver Ortega track. Wouldn’t be surprised if we saw him this year tbh.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think they're just backfilling the AAA staff.

Between the call-ups post trade deadline and injuries, I think it's left Salt Lake short-handed.

Does anyone know why Quero hasn't been promoted yet this season?

He's obliterated Single-A pitching for two-thirds of the season, yet still hasn't been promoted.

I'm guessing the reasons are defense related? He is only 19, but he has nothing left to prove offensively at Single-A.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

He's obliterated Single-A pitching for two-thirds of the season, yet still hasn't been promoted.

I'm guessing the reasons are defense related? He is only 19, but he has nothing left to prove offensively at Single-A.

I'm guessing they don't want to rush him. He's already a full 2 years younger than the average hitter at Low-A ball, and would be more than 3 years younger than hitters at High-A.

I'm not sure how that all works out for catching prospects, but I'm guessing a 19 year old catcher at High-A would be unprecedented. Of course I could be wrong. 

I know at some point players simply force the issue but I feel like it might be a bit different because he's a catcher. 

There's probably a lot more to it than that and he may yet finish the season at Rocket City, but those are just my thoughts.

25 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Given the environment in Tri cities, I think I'd prefer to let Quero continue to experience success in the Cal League. Also, I think it's important to keep in mind, his numbers may be inflated because of the hitting environment. Inland Empire plays pretty honest but the rest of the Cal League is hitter friendly, always had been. He's hitting .345 on the road with 7 bombs compared to .278 and 4 HR at home, though to be fair he still has a .394 OBP at home which is ridiculous for a 19 year old. Still, it's a pretty stark difference. So I wouldn't say he's dominating. He's just performing well.