• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

It's crazy that we aren't all freaking out over one of the two best collegiate hitters this season being drafted by the Angels and moving to AA immediately upon signing.  

Times have changed.

Cron was considered the best collegiate hitter in the draft when the Angels selected him in the first round, and he went to Orem. 

29 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's crazy that we aren't all freaking out over one of the two best collegiate hitters this season being drafted by the Angels and moving to AA immediately upon signing.  

Times have changed.

Cron was considered the best collegiate hitter in the draft when the Angels selected him in the first round, and he went to Orem. 

6 hours ago, mmc said:

I used to get so duped by older college guys in rookie ball.  Gordie Gronkowski was my guy for like a month.  How'd that guy slip to the 49th round.  Brandon Decker I think was another guy.  

Pretty much anyone who killed it even if they were like two years older than their competition.  

Now I think age relative to level is probably one of my biggest qualifiers in either direction.  Why I'm barely paying attention to the results from Paris, Vera, Ramirez this year.  But if a guy is performing yet two years younger than his competition?  Oh Boy!

And I'm still a junky for guys who hit for a high average and walk a ton as youngsters.  

I still think Quero is top 100.  Easy.  The guy actually has some skill behind the plate.  And normally catcher bats don't progress that quickly.  He's 19.  Actually doesn't turn 20 till april of 2023.  He's got a 418 obp in 514 professional plate appearances.  He's thrown out 23 runners this year and granted, he's given up 73 SBs, but how many of those are on the pitcher?  

He could end up my #1 prospect by the end of the year if Neto doesn't impress right away.  

And he's swiped 10 bags.  

Fingers crossed that he handles pitchers well.  Or figures out how to.  Or he's athletic enough to switch to another spot because the bat is gonna play.  

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

He's thrown out 23 runners this year and granted, he's given up 73 SBs, but how many of those are on the pitcher?  

That's a 31% record. Not bad since he is relaying to A ball infielders. 

Our current tandem is 15/71 or 21%. 

Quero is no Bengie Molina. He is a 70% base stealer. 

8 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I used to get so duped by older college guys in rookie ball.  Gordie Gronkowski was my guy for like a month.  How'd that guy slip to the 49th round.  Brandon Decker I think was another guy.  

Pretty much anyone who killed it even if they were like two years older than their competition.  

Now I think age relative to level is probably one of my biggest qualifiers in either direction.  Why I'm barely paying attention to the results from Paris, Vera, Ramirez this year.  But if a guy is performing yet two years younger than his competition?  Oh Boy!

And I'm still a junky for guys who hit for a high average and walk a ton as youngsters.  

I still think Quero is top 100.  Easy.  The guy actually has some skill behind the plate.  And normally catcher bats don't progress that quickly.  He's 19.  Actually doesn't turn 20 till april of 2023.  He's got a 418 obp in 514 professional plate appearances.  He's thrown out 23 runners this year and granted, he's given up 73 SBs, but how many of those are on the pitcher?  

He could end up my #1 prospect by the end of the year if Neto doesn't impress right away.  

And he's swiped 10 bags.  

Fingers crossed that he handles pitchers well.  Or figures out how to.  Or he's athletic enough to switch to another spot because the bat is gonna play.  

Ok so here's a question. DiChiara is a college senior, so he's 22, going to AA where he's a little on the younger side. If he does well, do you get excited? That's a big leap from college to AA, or do you temper your excitement because he's fat? And vice versa, if he struggles, do we chalk it up to skipping rookie ball and the low minors entirely?

Numbers don't excite me as much. My own personal scouting does. Just as an example, I am still high on Paris and Adams because I like their defensive actions in the field, their overall athleticism and I love their swings. Tri-City plays weird, do numbers are secondary.

I like Quero, I don't love what I see but I like the overall package. I like his left handed swing way more than right. And his numbers are fine but I also understand that outside of Inland Empire and maybe Stockton at times, the Cal League has a positive effect on numbers. 

So again, scouting. 

When I see DiChiara, I see a swing that works, and I see him barrelling up balls and hitting them hard which results in a good BA, good OBP and good power numbers. I also think he's worse defensively than the scouting report says. He isn't even a 1B in my book, he's a DH. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Ok so here's a question. DiChiara is a college senior, so he's 22, going to AA where he's a little on the younger side. If he does well, do you get excited?

yeah.  College guy doing well in AA and I'm in.  It was always those rookie ball guys who would crush at 22/23 and his A+ and level off.  Volume is tough for position players for me.  I think making a decision on 10-15 at bats over 3-4  games is really tough.  Package 100 at bats together in a montage and I'd feel a lot better trying to draw a conclusion.  So while I trust what my eyes tell me on position players, I still think the numbers add a lot and personally, more that what I see of pitchers.  

If Dichiara hits, it's gonna be very interesting to see what they do with him.  

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Wade Hinkle. Gabe Jacobo. 

Roberto Lopez was a another guy.  I think he won the Pioneer league triple crown one year.  And then he was kind of a AA/AAA guy like a Mackinnon type.  Always thought he deserved a call up for at least a cup of coffee.