• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

It's hilarious.

When Dipoto drafted low upside collegiate starters, I couldn't stand it. They jumped to Advanced A immediately and then spent the rest of their careers bouncing between the rotation and bullpen in AA. Never impacting the top team. 

Minasian comes in and does the same exact thing except all the guys he drafted, that we supposedly hadn't scouted because they'd all been fired, are incredible. Most of them are killing it in AA already, and one is already a member of the rotation in Anaheim, all in under a year. 

Just a fantastic comparison of what happens when you put a lot of smart people around a GM instead of hiring a GM that spends his time telling everyone how smart he is. 

28 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's hilarious.

When Dipoto drafted low upside collegiate starters, I couldn't stand it. They jumped to Advanced A immediately and then spent the rest of their careers bouncing between the rotation and bullpen in AA. Never impacting the top team. 

Minasian comes in and does the same exact thing except all the guys he drafted, that we supposedly hadn't scouted because they'd all been fired, are incredible. Most of them are killing it in AA already, and one is already a member of the rotation in Anaheim, all in under a year. 

Just a fantastic comparison of what happens when you put a lot of smart people around a GM instead of hiring a GM that spends his time telling everyone how smart he is. 

The two guys really havent gone about things very similarly. 

Dipoto went high floor pitch-ability types, most of the guys they drafted last year were higher risk but had a standout ability or skill set that at least hinted at upside. They also showed a willingness to draft guys who had missed a lot of time due to injury or in Hanley's case, were injured.

The most Dipoto-ish pick last year was the third rounder, Landon Marceaux, and he's pitched like a Dipoto draftee.

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'd say "great minds" and all that but I'm borderline retarded.

I think we're both 'special'.  My dad still laughs about the fact that he was picking out trade schools for me early on.  Not that there's anything wrong with trade schools.   Just that the expectations weren't all that grand.  

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's hilarious.

It's really awesome to see how quickly they're delivering stellar results.  One already in the MLB (!) and a number in AA and pitching well.  Considering they were drafted less than a year ago, that's a quick ascension.

For a team like ours that was in need of legit SP depth fairly quickly, given current payroll constraints and lack of upper minor league SP depth, that was just a fantastic draft by Minasian and his team.  Credit to all involved (as @Inside Pitchpointed out, a number of those guys were Eppler's guys, so you can indeed say this was a "joint" endeavor of sorts).

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Dipoto draftees suck.

And in his defense, when youre named landon marceaux, life is going to be mostly uphill from there to begin with. 

In Marceaux's defense the dude is a legit Cajun from LA...   I just hope he speaks like that one coach did in The Waterboy.  

Is anyone else concerned about Jose Marte?

He hasn't been good above the AA level:

'21 AAA: 7.1 IP, 8.59 ERA, 4.89 FIP, 6.14 BB/9

'21 MLB: 4 IP, 9.00 ERA, 6.17 FIP, 6.75 BB/9

'22 AAA: 10.1 IP, 12.19 ERA, 8.60 FIP, 10.45 BB/9

I wonder if his 40-man roster spot could be in jeopardy.

He's likely behind all the other RP's on the 40-man roster depth chart (Buttrey, Peguero, Wantz)

And I'd say he's behind a number of RP's in AAA on the depth chart that are not on the 40-man roster. (Dayton, Moran, Reyes)

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Is anyone else concerned about Jose Marte?

He hasn't been good above the AA level:

'21 AAA: 7.1 IP, 8.59 ERA, 4.89 FIP, 6.14 BB/9

'21 MLB: 4 IP, 9.00 ERA, 6.17 FIP, 6.75 BB/9

'22 AAA: 10.1 IP, 12.19 ERA, 8.60 FIP, 10.45 BB/9

I wonder if his 40-man roster spot could be in jeopardy.

He's likely behind all the other RP's on the 40-man roster depth chart (Buttrey, Peguero, Wantz)

And I'd say he's behind a number of RP's in AAA on the depth chart that are not on the 40-man roster. (Dayton, Moran, Reyes)

would I be concerned about his 40 man spot if I were him?  Hell yes.  Am I concerned in general?  Nope.  Pen depth guy.  

I had higher hopes for him than how he's performed but I wouldn't count him out just yet.  He just got converted to a reliever and pitching at SLC could mean taking your best pitch and making it mediocre.  Which is what I suspect for him.  He was high 90's with movement.  Now he's high 90's and flat.  

People get impatient.  Cuz they see the stuff but there's nothing that'll ruin your status more than not being able to locate two pitches consistently.  Ask Adrian Almeida.  Don't know him?  He throw 100mph from the left side and hasn't advanced beyond AA.  He was in the org last year and I don't see that he's pitched this year.  He's the extreme.  More than a walk per inning.  

Marte has 12 walks in 10.1 innings this year.  He survived with 22 walks in 39.1 ip last year.  With 62k and a 3.66 era.  The lesson here is to find the plate in a meaningful way or you're toast.  Throw 95 with some semblance of control.  Some guys just never get it.  It never clicks.  

So they float around AA/AAA on the back of 40 man rosters in the hopes that someone is going to help them turn the light on.  And sometimes it doesn't happen.  It's amazing what happens when a pitcher realizes that they're not the only one who potentially touches the ball.  

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Dipoto draftees suck.

And in his defense, when youre named landon marceaux, life is going to be mostly uphill from there to begin with. 

Inside Louisiana that name is a badge of honor. Outside of Louisiana it's a red flag for food servers to bring extra Tabasco to the table

Paris is really struggling.  His k rate is nearly catastrophic.  Not a good sign.  

If we're all looking out for the next Walsh, take a look at Gabe Matthews.  I try not to get to big on college guys until they get past high A but someone to keep an eye on.  

MIDSEASON

TOP 30 PROSPECTS

Click prospect for player report
  1. 1

2. 2

Ky BushLHP
  3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6

7. 7
    Denzer Guzman
  8. 8

9. 9

10. 10
    Nelson Rada
  11. 11

12. 12

13. 13

14. 14

15. 15

16. 16

17. 17

18. 18

19. 19

20. 20

21. 21

22. 22

23. 23

24. 24

25. 25

26. 26

27. 27

28. 28
    Randy De Jesus
  29. 29

30. 30

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

would I be concerned about his 40 man spot if I were him?  Hell yes.  Am I concerned in general?  Nope.  Pen depth guy.  

I had higher hopes for him than how he's performed but I wouldn't count him out just yet.  He just got converted to a reliever and pitching at SLC could mean taking your best pitch and making it mediocre.  Which is what I suspect for him.  He was high 90's with movement.  Now he's high 90's and flat.  

So they float around AA/AAA on the back of 40 man rosters in the hopes that someone is going to help them turn the light on.  And sometimes it doesn't happen.  It's amazing what happens when a pitcher realizes that they're not the only one who potentially touches the ball.  

Yeah, I don't think his long-term future in baseball is changed much by this rough stretch.

But I have to wonder whether his Angels future is in jeopardy. I could see him getting squeezed off the Angels 40-man roster, and at that point you don't know if he'd clear waivers or get scooped up by another team.