• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Alright, F it. I'm saying it. After watching Chase Silseth actually pitch for the first time - his composure, stuff, etc - and looking at his minor league numbers, he's skyrocketing up my prospect list. Among pitchers, I'm ranking him ahead of everyone but Sam Bachman, with Bush #3.

By the time we get to the mid-season list, Silseth might not even be applicable.

Hidalgo is another riser - he might be my #4 pitcher, and could eventually surpass Bush. I still like Albright and Guanare, and Seminaris has also risen. Also, guys like Kerry and Erla are now in consideration, although down the list a bit. Guys like Olthoff and Costeiu are now "prospects of interest," but not quite ranked. Marceaux hasn't impressed so far, and Kochanowicz hasn't pitched - but it is early.

Another guy who is threatening for consideration: Emilker Guzman. Some made mention of him a few years ago and he kind of faded. But he's looking good in A+ ball: 13 IP, 6 hits, 6 walks, 21 Ks, 0.00 ERA. Now just in relief, but still.

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Alright, F it. I'm saying it. After watching Chase Silseth actually pitch for the first time - his composure, stuff, etc - and looking at his minor league numbers, he's skyrocketing up my prospect list. Among pitchers, I'm ranking him ahead of everyone but Sam Bachman, with Bush #3.

By the time we get to the mid-season list, Silseth might not even be applicable.

Hidalgo is another riser - he might be my #4 pitcher, and could eventually surpass Bush. I still like Albright and Guanare, and Seminaris has also risen. Also, guys like Kerry and Erla are now in consideration, although down the list a bit. Guys like Olthoff and Costeiu are now "prospects of interest," but not quite ranked. Marceaux hasn't impressed so far, and Kochanowicz hasn't pitched - but it is early.

Another guy who is threatening for consideration: Emilker Guzman. Some made mention of him a few years ago and he kind of faded. But he's looking good in A+ ball: 13 IP, 6 hits, 6 walks, 21 Ks, 0.00 ERA. Now just in relief, but still.

What are your thoughts on Eric Torres?  Seems like he’s been pretty good out of the pen in AA, though today was probably his worst outing

10 minutes ago, mmc said:

What are your thoughts on Eric Torres?  Seems like he’s been pretty good out of the pen in AA, though today was probably his worst outing

I haven't seen him pitch or read any reports - maybe one of the guys that see a fair number of minor league games has? 

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Tri-City pitched a shutout

Mondak: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 8 K

Pina: 3 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 6 K

Mondak another 2021 pick.  18th round.  Lefty.  Per scouting, he was around 89 with the fastball.   Performance has been pretty good so far.  Big guy (6'4, 203) so maybe they saw a chance for some increased velo.  

I'm one of the few cheerleaders for Pina.  Interesting way they're using him so far.  Back in A+ and kinda sorta in tandem starts but mostly in relief for 2-4 innings.  Makes me wonder if they've got him working on something specific.  Or if they're transitioning him to relief.  Hard to tell at this point.  

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kind of neat...

Four of the Angels top five draft picks are already at AA.  If you go 8 rounds deep its 5 of 8.  Based on actual performances they might end up with 9 of the top 10 picks in AA by the end of the season.  

Can't recall that ever happening before.

If a number of those guys pan out, it might be a sign that Minasian and his draft/development team are absolutely excellent, which would be a tremendous sign for the future of this organization.  Really excited to see how it turns out.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

If a number of those guys pan out, it might be a sign that Minasian and his draft/development team are absolutely excellent, which would be a tremendous sign for the future of this organization.  Really excited to see how it turns out.

I think a lot of it was just the emphasis on college arms.  Detmers/Canning have both seen very rapid rises to MLB.

Last year's draft was run almost entirely by Eppler holdovers -- For instance, Swanson was quoted as having been in on Silseth since they were scouting Bradish out of NM in 2018. Anyway, maybe there have been changes developmentally but, I'm not hearing that's been the case other than they are getting new/more data points.  I don't doubt that extra/new data is being super useful but there wasn't a lot of turnover going into last season developmentally and they didn't have the boots on the ground to scout in the traditional way.    

I think we get a better idea of what Minasian and company want to do and how they want to do it with this draft. One thing I have heard is that the Angels are doing a lot more work in their own back yard. For whatever reasons the Angels have historically not been big players locally.  Weird considering the sheer number of guys that come out of SoCal and the success they DID have with local HS guys like Edmonds and GA.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Last year's draft was run almost entirely by Eppler holdovers -- For instance, Swanson was quoted as having been in on Silseth since they were scouting Bradish out of NM in 2018. Anyway, maybe there have been changes developmentally but, I'm not hearing that's been the case other than they are getting new/more data points.  I don't doubt that extra/new data is being super useful but there wasn't a lot of turnover going into last season developmentally and they didn't have the boots on the ground to scout in the traditional way.    

I think we get a better idea of what Minasian and company want to do and how they want to do it with this draft. One thing I have heard is that the Angels are doing a lot more work in their own back yard. For whatever reasons the Angels have historically not been big players locally.  Weird considering the sheer number of guys that come out of SoCal and the success they DID have with local HS guys like Edmonds and GA.

Thanks for the insight.

I wonder - in situations like the above, to what degree does Minasian directly have an impact?  Would he tell Swanson, for example - "I only want to draft SP, so find the best SP prospects who have the following characteristics/attributes: _____"?  Or would he let Swanson essentially dictate the whole process and let him handle it?

I have just wondered to what degree a GM influences the scouting director, and how much impact he has on that process.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Thanks for the insight.

I wonder - in situations like the above, to what degree does Minasian directly have an impact?  Would he tell Swanson, for example - "I only want to draft SP, so find the best SP prospects who have the following characteristics/attributes: _____"?  Or would he let Swanson essentially dictate the whole process and let him handle it?

I have just wondered to what degree a GM influences the scouting director, and how much impact he has on that process.

It's probably different with every guy. 

Stoneman was great at letting the scouting department do what they wanted, the message being get the best player available.  I think Eppler forced the issue of high risk high reward early on because of the absolute lack of talent, particularly high upside talent in the system.  Not sure he would have gone about it the same exact way had the situation been better.

Minasian has surrounded himself with a ton of really good people, he didn't fire anyone that had previously played a big role in the farm system so, I have a pretty optimistic view of what could happen.  I think he has a better chance of building the farm system he wants than Eppler did. It would be of great help to him if some of Billy's "high risk" hitters started to "high reward" a little bit..

This will be an interesting draft, it's not super talented from what I've read but it's always cool to see how a front office attacks the draft ... well, unless your team goes high floor low ceiling like we did from 2012-2015.

One thing about last years draft that was interesting -- even as they went hard after college arms, they managed to target a lot of high risk high reward types.  Guys coming off injuries, guys with stuff but lacking command.  They seemed willing to gamble for the sake of upside..   IF that's what we can come to expect moving forward, I think it will be a fun little ride.

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

My question did Minasian tell Maddon Silseth was coming up to pitch on Friday. Did Maddon have different rotation planned for this weekend? 

No, it was a surprise. Maddon didn't know until Silseth took the mound. The look on his face was priceless.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Much better than under Eppler when he and Maddon would play a rousing game of Parcheesi to determine who would be called up/starting.

Parcheesi? Nice.

That's old school. 

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

Parcheesi? Nice.

That's old school. 

Was definitely going for the old timely games.

Not sure how it happened but that game was super popular in a lot of Caribbean countries.  A lot of the domino parks in Cuba have had the tables tiled/painted to resemble parcheesi boards.

Like everything else on the island, everything stopped dead in its tracks post Castro, including board games.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not sure how it happened but that game was super popular in a lot of Caribbean countries.  A lot of the domino parks in Cuba have had the tables tiled/painted to resemble parcheesi boards.

Like everything else on the island, everything stopped dead in its tracks post Castro, including board games.

Parcheesi is based on an Indian game, so I imagine it was introduced by Indian workers in the Caribbean.

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

When I was a kid we played marbles. Yes I lost most of mine.

11 minutes ago, Lou said:

Parcheesi is based on an Indian game, so I imagine it was introduced by Indian workers in the Caribbean.

Yep, its origins are why I find it so interesting that its so popular there.   All I know, anytime I visited my grandparents it was parcheesi time... And because I always wanted be red my Grandpa would say, "Este cabron es un communista"...