• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Oh yeah forgot Humphreys was discussed a few pages back.  Hope he has legit MLB upside, we've lacked that from our minor league catchers lately

I saw a few blerbs about his history, but not much in terms of a scouting report of his abilities.  Anyone have anything?  His stats are awfully impressive (offensively), but for a catcher, the vast majority of their value is what they bring defensively.  Curious to hear if anyone has any info in that regard.

12 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'd take Davis over Adell any day. They're both similar players in terms of athleticism, power/speed but also have some swing and miss in their game.

The one thing that separates the two besides the 1st round and prospect status that Adell has over Davis is that Brendon Davis can the infield and outfield and from what I've been told by someone who works for the Bees, Davis is the much better defender of the two in the outfield. 

Since Maddon loves players who can play multiple positions and Davis can play 2B, SS, 3B and all three OF spots, Brendon may have a place on this team while Adell could be trade bait if he starts crushing it in AAA and improves his D. 

I'm not gonna be able to agree with this one.  Adell has a chance to be a star.  So way more upside and I think their floor is pretty similar actually.  Don't get me wrong, I really hope Davis becomes an everyday player but I'm not sure I totally believe it yet.  Whereas I think Adell is gonna be really good by the time he's 26/27.  Really really good.  

Same here. Let's not get carried away. The sound the ball makes coming off Davis' bat isn't like Adell's. The way the ball jumps off Jo's bat is just different. 

With guys that are truly special, the ball sounds different coming off their bat, making others almost like a broken bat in relative comparison. Trout, Ohtani, Adell, Marsh. Even when you compare it to really good players, like Upton in his prime or Rendon, it just isn't the same. And whenever you hear that sound, you keep that guy because he can be really special. Did you hear the sound of Marsh's HR to dead center yesterday? That's what it sounds like. 

Davis has a chance to be an interesting player. But he's not in the same class as Adell. I think Jo will be a very good player. Maybe not until he's 24 or 25, but I think it'll happen.

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

Transaction today that I didn't previously see get reported anywhere

image.png

nunan is a guy to watch.  tall lefty HS draftee from 2018.  interesting development project.  One of those guys who retires at 22 or just suddenly turns into something.  

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

nunan is a guy to watch.  tall lefty HS draftee from 2018.  interesting development project.  One of those guys who retires at 22 or just suddenly turns into something.  

Was gonna ask about him, see he was a recent draft pick but hasn't pitched much since then

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

Was gonna ask about him, see he was a recent draft pick but hasn't pitched much since then

we've got guys like that now.  guys that aren't in our top 30 who could climb a list quick.  in the past if someone dropped off we were scrambling to find a replacement and it was a bit contrived.  Now the combo of depth and the nice job that Perry and team have done with excavating a few bodies from the minor league free agent list has made things fun again.  Not gonna win any awards for top farm but it's a hell of a lot different than 5 or 6 years ago.   

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

we've got guys like that now.  guys that aren't in our top 30 who could climb a list quick.  in the past if someone dropped off we were scrambling to find a replacement and it was a bit contrived.  Now the combo of depth and the nice job that Perry and team have done with excavating a few bodies from the minor league free agent list has made things fun again.  Not gonna win any awards for top farm but it's a hell of a lot different than 5 or 6 years ago.   

Agree. It’s nice to actually see the beginnings of guys (especially pitchers) who could provide some legitimate depth in 2023 and beyond.  I’m looking forward to this year’s draft. My sense is that it will be about 50% pitchers this time. I would concentrate on middle infielders and catchers. 

If he has a good hit rate again we have the beginnings of a farm with some real depth and tradeable assets.  

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm not gonna be able to agree with this one.  Adell has a chance to be a star.  So way more upside and I think their floor is pretty similar actually.  Don't get me wrong, I really hope Davis becomes an everyday player but I'm not sure I totally believe it yet.  Whereas I think Adell is gonna be really good by the time he's 26/27.  Really really good.  

I hope you're right about Adell. I wonder if he'll ever improve his defense though and his plate discipline is awful. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I hope you're right about Adell. I wonder if he'll ever improve his defense though and his plate discipline is awful. 

Not specific to Adell, but I generally am more bullish about prospects "figuring things out" who have good plate discipline but are lacking in other areas than ones who have poor plate discipline.  I am not really that optimistic about Adell's future, at least in terms of reaching what we perceived his potential to be, but I hope I am wrong.

45 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

Agree. It’s nice to actually see the beginnings of guys (especially pitchers) who could provide some legitimate depth in 2023 and beyond.  I’m looking forward to this year’s draft. My sense is that it will be about 50% pitchers this time. I would concentrate on middle infielders and catchers. 

If he has a good hit rate again we have the beginnings of a farm with some real depth and tradeable assets.  

Anecdotally, it seems like we have quite a few pop-up prospects now who are performing beyond expectations, including guys who weren't on the radar at all entering the season.

It feels like under past regimens, we had guys with loud athletic tools who did not quite live up to expectations.  It is early, but I am hopeful that it's because Minasian has assembled a stellar draft and player development crew that is helping players "maximize" their skills/talent.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Not specific to Adell, but I generally am more bullish about prospects "figuring things out" who have good plate discipline but are lacking in other areas than ones who have poor plate discipline.  I am not really that optimistic about Adell's future, at least in terms of reaching what we perceived his potential to be, but I hope I am wrong.

I've long been the resident defense matters and plate discipline is key prospect hound so you'd think Adell would be someone I'd hate.  Thing is as Doc has pointed out many times, Adell isn't an pitch recognition issue, he's an anti-Brandon Wood confidence issue IMO.  The dude genuinely believes in his ability, so much so he hasn't learn to back off of things.  Yeah he gets fooled on pitches, he's just always going to be a swing and miss guy but his issue is mostly about knowing the pitches his tools can't overcome.  He profiles very similarly to Byron Buxton offensively...  Defense he's more like Luis Polinia unfortunately.

Seriously, if you look at Buxton's career, he's always had elevated K rates, last time I looked this year he was over 30% again.  The dude just does so much damage when he connects it balances out more than it typically would, that's kind of where Adell is going..  He just really needs reps  He'll hurt enough pitches to make a team happy.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

It feels like under past regimens, we had guys with loud athletic tools who did not quite live up to expectations.  It is early, but I am hopeful that it's because Minasian has assembled a stellar draft and player development crew that is helping players "maximize" their skills/talent.

There weren't guys with loud athletic tools prior to Eppler, we stopped drafting those types for the entirety of the Dipoto era. 

And that's the thing about the Eppler era... The guys they went after were all crazy young and super high risk -- those guys typically take longer to develop and as such the expectations should have been tempered by fans and evaluators alike.  Unfortunately necessity forced the Angels to be super aggressive with their promotions and when guys showed glimpses of success those expectations went up leading to disappointment.  I recall people asking what was wrong with Marsh when he was in AA because his triple slash numbers looked rather pedestrian..  They were guilty of ignoring the reality of the park he was playing in and his age in relation to the league but sometimes perception becomes reality.  Meh!

Anyway, a lot of the pop up guys you're talking about are just guys who have been around and are now in age appropriate leagues.  They aren't as green as they used to be.

Covid's impact on the minor leagues hit the teams on the young side of the age spectrum particularly hard.  This was more true of the "domestic" draft guys than the international signees who actually did continue to play with buscones and the sort.  The Angels weren't the only team struggling with this FWIW.  Gore went from a four time top 30 guy to unranked by BBA...  the time off/lack of competitive play just dinged him.

The all pitcher, mostly college draft last year just really helped balance things out IMO... 

On 5/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, Chuckster70 said:

I'd take Davis over Adell any day. They're both similar players in terms of athleticism, power/speed but also have some swing and miss in their game.

The one thing that separates the two besides the 1st round and prospect status that Adell has over Davis is that Brendon Davis can the infield and outfield and from what I've been told by someone who works for the Bees, Davis is the much better defender of the two in the outfield. 

Since Maddon loves players who can play multiple positions and Davis can play 2B, SS, 3B and all three OF spots, Brendon may have a place on this team while Adell could be trade bait if he starts crushing it in AAA and improves his D. 

Just saw this the other day Brendon Davis doing live AB's during this last off season ,, seems like a really cool dude and as a bonus got a double off of Bauer 

39 minutes ago, nothing, Nothing said:

Michael Stefanic has been on a few of their live AB episodes as well. The Momentum crew dubbed him the best hitter that they've encountered so far.  

40 minutes ago, nothing, Nothing said:

Michael Stefanic has been on a few of their live AB episodes as well. The Momentum crew dubbed him the best hitter that they've encountered so far.  

Since his INF defense is concern I wonder if Angels try him in OF.