• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

10 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Someone worth keeping an eye on, in terms of possible bench support, is MacKinnon in SLC.  He's showing tremendous plate discipline so far and has decent power potential.  Given how much Maddon loves platoons, he could be a solid option against LHP.

Will update this to reflect his current season line:  333/432/621, with a BB/K% of 16/8.6 (almost twice as many walks as Ks).

He appears to be strictly just a 1B, but he could be an option to get some starts at 1B, with either Marsh or Walsh sitting (if Marsh sits, Walsh could be flexed out to LF).  Doesn't solve the RHH 4th OF problem, but he could be a solid RHH off the bench for us.

I love MacKinnon and definitely think he could find his way here. Reminds me of Yandy Diaz. He will hit. The Angels would need to clear up some infield clogs on the 40-man for a real path to make sense, but it could happen. I don’t think they have the consistency across their young options in the OF or IF yet to burn a spot on a RH 1B-only guy, but if someone like Wade establishes himself and Marsh settles in, they can start trimming a bit.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I love MacKinnon and definitely think he could find his way here. Reminds me of Yandy Diaz. He will hit. The Angels would need to clear up some infield clogs on the 40-man for a real path to make sense, but it could happen. I don’t think they have the consistency across their young options in the OF or IF yet to burn a spot on a RH 1B-only guy, but if someone like Wade establishes himself and Marsh settles in, they can start trimming a bit.

Yeah.  There is some redundancy in terms of MI on our roster.  Fletcher is a mainstay (given his contract), but then we have 3 guys who are essentially sharing time - Velazquez, Wade, and (when healthy) Duffy.  In an ideal world, Velazquez can improve his hit tool a bit to not be an offensive blackhole (i.e, perhaps be a 700 OPS or so hitter).  Wade could be a bench player then, and Duffy could become expendable in favor of someone with more offensive upside, a la McKinnon.

So for example, in terms of lineups:

vs RHP:  RF Ward, DH Ohtani, CF Trout, 1B Walsh, 3B Rendon, LF Marsh, C Stassi, 2B Fletcher, SS Velazquez.  

vs LHP:  RF Ward, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, 1B MacKinnon, C Stassi, LF Marsh, 2B Fletcher, SS Velazquez

Bench would consist of C Suzuki, IF/OF Wade, 1B MacKinnon, IF/OF(?) Mayfield.  Or, if Duffy is kept, then Mayfield can be optioned down I guess.  It would still leave the 4th OF spot kind of murky, but it would at least provide us with another solid RHH hitter, which will come in useful against tough LHP.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  There is some redundancy in terms of MI on our roster.  Fletcher is a mainstay (given his contract), but then we have 3 guys who are essentially sharing time - Velazquez, Wade, and (when healthy) Duffy.  In an ideal world, Velazquez can improve his hit tool a bit to not be an offensive blackhole (i.e, perhaps be a 700 OPS or so hitter).  Wade could be a bench player then, and Duffy could become expendable in favor of someone with more offensive upside, a la McKinnon.

vs RHP:  RF Ward, DH Ohtani, CF Trout, 1B Walsh, 3B Rendon, LF Marsh, C Stassi, 2B Fletcher, SS Velazquez.  

vs LHP:  RF Ward, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, 3B Rendon, 1B MacKinnon, C Stassi, LF Marsh, 2B Fletcher, SS Velazquez

Bench would consist of C Suzuki, IF/OF Wade, 1B MacKinnon, IF/OF(?) Mayfield.  Or, if Duffy is kept, then Mayfield can be optioned down I guess.  It would still leave the 4th OF spot kind of murky, but it would at least provide us with another solid RHH hitter, which will come in useful against tough LHP.

Walsh seems to be hitting lefties just fine right now.

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I have a hard time seeing a realistic path for MacKinnon to spend time in mlb this year unless there's a rash of injury to certain people.  Joe loves his interchangeable parts and he doesn't really fit that mold at all.  And he really doesn't run all that well.  Or hit for any kind of power.  To me he feels really far down the depth chart after Walsh and Duffy that even guys like Mayfield, Rojas would get chances before that and my guess is that they'd call Thaiss up to play 1b due to his positional flexibility.  

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I have a hard time seeing a realistic path for MacKinnon to spend time in mlb this year unless there's a rash of injury to certain people.  Joe loves his interchangeable parts and he doesn't really fit that mold at all.  And he really doesn't run all that well.  Or hit for any kind of power.  To me he feels really far down the depth chart after Walsh and Duffy that even guys like Mayfield, Rojas would get chances before that and my guess is that they'd call Thaiss up to play 1b due to his positional flexibility.  

Sure - that makes sense, and I understand the issue with Maddon's emphasis on positional versatility. 

The appealing thing about MacKinnon is he seems to have strong splits against LHP (OPS of 932 last year, 1494 so far this year in SSS).  Just something to keep an eye on - it's cool to find useful parts in our own minor league system.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Sure - that makes sense, and I understand the issue with Maddon's emphasis on positional versatility. 

The appealing thing about MacKinnon is he seems to have strong splits against LHP (OPS of 932 last year, 1494 so far this year in SSS).  Just something to keep an eye on - it's cool to find useful parts in our own minor league system.

True.  And I agree it's fun.  Just a hard sell for me to think they'd use a guy with zero MLB experience in that regard as opposed to going out and getting a cheap rental that could hit lefties and be more versatile.  

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm hoping Cabbage turns out to be another clean peanut. He should be in AAA in the not-too-distant future.

Anyone know anything about AA catcher Humphreys? I think he was one of the undrafted signings from last year, but not sure.

Something weird with Humphreys: he was drafted in the 20th round in 2019, but didn't sign.  He went back to TCU for this senior year in 2020 and had a better season (shortened by the pandemic)--but then didn't get drafted at all in 2020, presumably due to the reduction in rounds.  He went back AGAIN for a fifth year at TCU (the NCAA gave players an extra year of eligibility due to COVID) has an even BETTER full season...and doesn't get drafted again.  Lol.

48 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm hoping Cabbage turns out to be another clean peanut. He should be in AAA in the not-too-distant future.

Anyone know anything about AA catcher Humphreys? I think he was one of the undrafted signings from last year, but not sure.

They can call the right field stands " The Cabbage Patch" when he homers.