• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Michael Lorenzen in the rotation.

tdawg87

53 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He is guaranteed an opportunity to compete for a starting rotation spot.  That is about it.  

That's really all this about. 

There's some intrigue there, but at worst we're getting a pretty decent power arm at the backend of the bullpen so I'm pretty happy with this signing. 

Lorenzen is a bit interesting, he has the stuff to succeed as a starter  as a starter. He has a 4-pitch  mix, with two above-average to plus pitches. The question that begs to be answered? why didn't he get a shot to start? 

Looking at his pitch selection, stuff and movement, he reminds be a lot of Frankie Montas!  Big fastball, but does not have that same secondary pitch that Montas as.

Prediction:

Most Likely 15-20 starts with a  4.34 Era  and a similar FIp

Best Scenario:

25 starts: 3.80-4 ERA with a similar FIP

Worst:

Gets bumped from the Rotation and into the BP. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Lorenzen is a bit interesting, he has the stuff to succeed as a starter  as a starter. He has a 4-pitch  mix, with two above-average to plus pitches. The question that begs to be answered? why didn't he get a shot to start? 

Looking at his pitch selection, stuff and movement, he reminds be a lot of Frankie Montas!  Big fastball, but does not have that same secondary pitch that Montas as.

Prediction:

Most Likely 15-20 starts with a  4.34 Era  and a similar FIp

Best Scenario:

25 starts: 3.80-4 ERA with a similar FIP

Worst:

Gets bumped from the Rotation and into the BP. 

He was actually supposed to be in the rotation for the 2021 season after essentially saving their asses as a starter late 2020. However, an injury in 2021 prevented him from getting those reps in Spring Training and they couldn't afford to give him those reps midseason. 

Edited by rafibomb

Minasian has definitely put his scouting chops on the line with his decisions to grab Thor and Lorenzen.  He said he has never spent as much time on checking a player as he did on Thor, and I’m guessing Lorenzen was not chosen at random.  So we will see if he knows what he’s doing, if they both meet his expectations he will look brilliant.  If not he’ll look like what the rally monkey pooped. 

23 hours ago, Torridd said:

It doesn't make much sense.

On the contrary -it makes perfect sense to me .  There has been a consistent theme running through Angel land for quiet a while now - we have an owner who doesn't believe in spending big money on a pitching staff . In his narrow minded view of baseball he will spend money on players who play 150 games a year but guys who only play 28-32 games a year ( aka starting pitchers ) are not worth the risk and money .  I have read posts about prior GM's lack of ability to sign big name starters but it is NOT on them - its on him .  Notice how Eppler had zero problems signing Max to a huge money deal ? Its the difference in owners and their ideology .  Lorenzen is on the team because he comes cheaply . He is totally unproven as a starter and thus gets less money than Ray , Gausman or Strohman would get and therefore along with Noah who hasn't really pitched in 2 years and can't possibly be expected to pitch more than 135-150 innings tops ( and for one year no less ) we can expect another year of not making the playoffs .  

5 hours ago, Revad said:

Minasian has definitely put his scouting chops on the line with his decisions to grab Thor and Lorenzen.  He said he has never spent as much time on checking a player as he did on Thor, and I’m guessing Lorenzen was not chosen at random.  So we will see if he knows what he’s doing, if they both meet his expectations he will look brilliant.  If not he’ll look like what the rally monkey pooped. 

Sorry - I am a long time Angel fan who lives in NY -  NOBODY and I mean NOBODY knows what to expect from Noah next year . When he was rehabbing he was under the strict guidelines of no breaking balls and his velocity was down . That is to be expected coming off TJ surgery but he is a question mark . If the Mets were totally convinced he was going to be strong and durable they would have offered him more to stay  but they weren't sure and they didn't offer him the deal he sought .   What is astounding to me is we all know our pitching staff needs proven help and it really wasn't addressed but they delude themselves that its mission accomplished  .They bring in Noah who may be solid but will not be over-worked his first year back ( less than 140 innings I would bet ) and Lorenzen who is a question mark as a starter . We will be going to the bullpen in the 4th inning in May next year because these guys can't give you innings . Nothing like burning your middle relief out by before July comes . Don't blame the GM's we've had - fire the owner !

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm not exactly sure what he's done to deserve either a place in the rotation OR a place as a part-time outfielder/hitter when he's not pitching.  Sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Fun times.

Well so far we've only replaced 2 pitchers. If Minasian adds another then his spot isn't "locked in". He'd be competing for the 6th spot.