• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Internal Pitching Development

BTH

I wish we could find out more info about what the Angels are doing to try and improve their internal pitching development because that ultimately matters a great deal into improving the team in 2022 and beyond. They need Canning, Detmers, Sandoval, Suarez, etc. to be established quality MLB starters.

- Eno Sarris of The Athletic has said that he's heard the Angels were improving that aspect, but couldn't give specific names because they weren't official.

- We've seen Connor Hinchliffe take a job as a Pitching Analyst, but no further details into his role and whether that's on the major or minor league side.

- We heard about Perry saying they believe they can fix things with the delivery/mechanics/pitch usage of Lorenzen and Syndergaard and that Syndergaard was impressed by Perry's pitching knowledge.

Are they gonna add a pitching analyst or assistant pitching coach to the MLB Coaching Staff?

This is something that we should be able to get info on during the lockout, as it is not player-related.

Any insight @Jeff Fletcher ?

@Trendon, I'm assuming a lot of the information is proprietary beyond just who they hire and how much they are spending in terms of building out that infrastructure.

The FO can make a huge difference in how players develop. Talent is important, but progressive FOs can really help further development and improve outcomes.

Look at what the Giants did last year under Zaidi.  Zaidi built an incredible infrastructure and so many of their pitchers "overachieved."  When you see so many pitch better than what you'd expect, it likely signifies the FO is facilitating strong development behind the scenes.

It appears Minasian has done a fairly good job of plucking guys from various FOs that are known to be good at player development.  We'll see how it pans out.

Perry brought in former Blue Jay & Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter as a Pitching Consultant to work with the kids and minor leaguers on the Mental Side of the Game. Which probably will in the end filter down to and include: Confidence, Training, Arm Health, Sequencing, Attacking hitters and Repertoire. 

I've worked on the Mental Side of the Game with High School and College pitchers I've coached previously, Minor Leaguers and a current Professional.

This one was in High School at the time. He had the Make-up, Arm Strength, Breaking Stuff, Very Cerebral & Focused (Maddox like) and was/is dedicated to training and arm fitness. We would just sit down and watched BP and we would talk about how we would attack our own hitters. We focused on their stance, their hand placement, and game situations. As the hitters were working on situational hitting during the last few rounds of BP every day. We sat back there at the end of batting practice. We would even go into video on our phones of current Major Leaguers and dissected a few of their stances, videos, and at bats then went into the videos of the pitchers and how they battled that hitter and the pitch sequence. And the eventual outcome and why the sequence was important. To that at bat and the next 2 at bats after that.

We would watch video of his bullpens we would record and we then went into a few of those as well. In bullpens we would do situations and pitch sequencing as well, location etc.

Every Situation has a Pitch. Every Pitch has a Reason. He had to be confident in making that pitch at that spot in that situation and if he did that 90% of the time he would be successful.

During our Playoff run we sat down and talked pitching and the other teams hitters at each school and how he would attack them. If he was pitching that game or in between innings. We would sit down and he remembered every single pitch during the at bat for every hitter he faced.  I know this because I was charting them and quizzed him. This also took his mind off the situation of a High School Playoff Game..This also taught him how to prepare and break in between innings.. Mental Side of the Game...

He sprinted through High School - Ran through College - Was Drafted - had some personal & arm adversity and is back now - and dominated our team last year.

He is the Real Deal and will have a very successful career. 

Well last season the entire organization took a huge step forward in regards to pitching. There were a ton of huge developments in the minor leagues for pitchers like Reid Detmers, Ryan Smith, Cooper Criswell, Davis Daniel, Kyle Tyler, Cris Molina, Robinson Pina, John Swanda and Austin Warren (and I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few more). The 2021 draft class as a whole had strong performances in albeit a small sample size after being drafted. We also can't forget the huge steps taken forward by guys like Patrick Sandoval and Jose Suarez in the majors. I know the last few days have been doom and gloom in regards to signing that last starter for the rotation, but the organization as a whole is trending in the right direction in developing their own pitching which is the best way to go about solving the problem. Glad to see they are looking on way to improve and build upon last season.

3 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Perry brought in former Blue Jay & Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter as a Pitching Consultant to work with the kids and minor leaguers on the Mental Side of the Game. Which probably will in the end filter down to and include Confidence, Training, Arm Health, Sequencing, Attacking hitters and Repertoire. 

I've worked on the Mental Side of the Game previously with High School and College pitchers I've coached previously, Minor Leaguers and a current Professional.

This one was in High School at the time. He had the Make-up, Arm Strength, Breaking Stuff, Very Cerebral & Focused (Maddox like) and was/is dedicated to training and arm fitness. We would just sit down and watched BP and we would talk about how we would attack our own hitters. We focused on stance, hand placement, and game situations. As the hitters were working on situational hitting during the last few rounds of BP every day. We sat back there at the end of batting practice. We would even go into video on our phones of current Major Leaguers and dissected a few of their stances, videos, and at bats then went into the videos of the pitchers and how they battled that hitter and the pitch sequence. And the eventual outcome and why the sequence was important. To that at bat and the next 2 at bats after that.

We would watch video of his bullpens we would record and we then went into a few of those as well. In bullpens we would do situations and pitch sequencing as well, location etc.

Every Situation has a Pitch. Every Pitch has a Reason. He had to be confident in making that pitch at that spot in that situation and if he did that 90% of the time he would be successful.

During our Playoff run we sat down and talked pitching and the other teams hitters at each school and how he would attack them. If he was pitching that game or in between innings. We would sit down and he remembered every single pitch during the at bat for every hitter he faced.  I know this because I was charting them and quizzed him. This also took his mind off the situation of a High School Playoff Game..This also taught him how to prepare and break in between innings.. Mental Side of the Game...

He sprinted through High School - Ran through College - Was Drafted - had some personal & arm adversity and is back now - and dominated our team last year.

He is the Real Deal and will have a very successful career. 

Good post.  Did this kid pitch for the Ms by chance?

22 minutes ago, full circle said:

Good post.  Did this kid pitch for the Ms by chance?

Thank you FC, Nope, He could be relocating to Vegas though....He also was traded once, for one of the Starting pitchers we have been linked to.

I've also coached against another guy that could be available via trade. He is decent, but, my team did well against him. But, that could have been due to his tells on his pitches..

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

One time i was smoking a cigarette w some guy I worked with, that nobody liked. And two english guys came up and asked if they could bum a fag

And I said "you can have robert here!"

They didnt get it, and my coworker got pissed. And I thought I was the witty king of the world. 

And there was nobody there to cheer, throw roses at me, and offer me their sister.

And all these years later, when I tell the story, nobody thinks its as great as I do.

But I still like telling that story.

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The great moment i had was even further let down after I recognized I wasnt going to get any credit, and it was quiet as I reached into my pocket to get a cigarette for the lads. And it was totally quiet. 

Except for me giggling.

Some people just don't understand nuance.

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

One time i was smoking a cigarette w some guy I worked with, that nobody liked. And two english guys came up and asked if they could bum a fag

And I said "you can have robert here!"

They didnt get it, and my coworker got pissed. And I thought I was the witty king of the world. 

And there was nobody there to cheer, throw roses at me, and offer me their sister.

And all these years later, when I tell the story, nobody thinks its as great as I do.

But I still like telling that story.

bow down all hail GIF by The Academy Awards