• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Aaron Loup (2 years, $15 million + $7.5M club option/$2M buyout), DFA Yan

mmc

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Btw, given that Loup got $7.5M/year, are there still folks on this board who think Raisel is going to take a deal that gives him $10-12M in the first year of his deal? 

Considering the highest paid closers are in the 14-16 M range, and almost all closers contracts are backloaded, Yes.

12/14/14/16/2M buyout. 4/58.

36 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Considering the highest paid closers are in the 14-16 M range, and almost all closers contracts are backloaded, Yes.

12/14/14/16/2M buyout. 4/58.

I wonder if free agents are more willing to backload their contracts and make less in 2022 should there be any COVID or CBA-related shortened seasons that mean pro-rated money next year. Might make this more likely. 

Edited by totdprods

Just now, Angelsfan1984 said:

I wonder if they are going to trade upton, eat most of the contract to open up 7-8m on budget. This leaves them with roughly 22m. Not enough to sign TOR starter and full holes. I’m guessing they are fine to let rengifo play short at this point. 

Nobody is going to pay 7/8 million on Upton’s deal. 

21 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I wonder if they are going to trade upton, eat most of the contract to open up 7-8m on budget. This leaves them with roughly 22m. Not enough to sign TOR starter and full holes. I’m guessing they are fine to let rengifo play short at this point. 

Upton has a no-trade clause.  The likelihood that we find a team who will take him AND that he'd waive his no trade clause for is very slim, let alone a team that would pay 7-8mil.  I imagine the most any team would pay is 2-3mil.

This is another reminder that most long-term deals end up being pretty bad.

25 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Doesn't make sense to sign this guy then let Iglesias go. Then the pen is worse.

Yeah, it doesn't.  This signing also suggests to me that we probably aren't in on Scherzer, so instead I think they'll spread the money around on a mid-tier SP and multiple relievers.

How about Stroman, Iglesias, and Knebel?

SP: Ohtani, Syndergaard, Stroman, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria

BP:  Iglesias, Knebel, Loup, Mayers, Quijada, Warren, Wantz, Selman/Naughton/etc.

We'd likely have to settle for a cheap SS/C, but I'd be okay with that, given the strength of the above rotation and bullpen.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, it doesn't.  This signing also suggests to me that we probably aren't in on Scherzer, so instead I think they'll spread the money around on a mid-tier SP and multiple relievers.

How about Stroman, Iglesias, and Knebel?

SP: Ohtani, Syndergaard, Stroman, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria

BP:  Iglesias, Knebel, Loup, Mayers, Quijada, Warren, Wantz, Selman/Naughton/etc.

Man, I just don’t see us spending that much more money.  That would be $45-50 million more, all on pitching.  I could be wrong, but I anticipate $22-25 million a year for Stroman, $15 million a year for Iglesias and Knebel will get similar or better money than Loup.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Man, I just don’t see us spending that much more money.  That would be $45-50 million more, all on pitching.  I could be wrong, but I anticipate $22-25 million a year for Stroman, $15 million a year for Iglesias and Knebel will get similar or better money than Loup.

Yeah, likely you're right.

If they backload the contracts, it could be moreso in the 40mil range.  Knebel's recent checkered health history might preclude him from getting what Loup did, but we'll see.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, likely you're right.

If they backload the contracts, it could be moreso in the 40mil range.  Knebel's recent checkered health history might preclude him from getting what Loup did, but we'll see.

The problem with backloading it is at some point you have to have money available to sign Ohtani.  

3 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Yeah I think Raisel's gone too. Not paying one reliever over $7M next season as well as another for likely somewhere between $12-15M when they still have rotation needs. Makes them not trading Raisel at the deadline look even worse too IMO

Not trading him at deadline was assinine.

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

IF the Angels manage to keep Iglesias I think adding Loup to the backend is enough for a very strong pen. I have high hopes in Warren repeating his strong season along with some combination Mayers, Tyler, Wantz, Ortega and possibly even Gerardo Reyes filling out well for the middle innings.

extending Raisel for three years. Trade Barria, and add another pitcher for depth.