• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Tyler Wade from the Yankees for PTBNL/cash, DFA Wong

mmc

3 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i've never seen him play, but apparently he's played a fair amount of time at all the positions, exluding 1b/c/p. that's definitely useful, especially if he's good defensively.

Neither Fangraphs nor Baseball Reference seem to rate him all that well defensively.  They differ quite a bit on his year-to-year ratings, but over the course of his career, they basically have him at a neutral/replacement level defensive level.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Not a bad pickup, actually. Depends upon the PTBNL, hopefully not Rengifo as that seems like one step forward, 1.5 steps back, with Rengifo having more upside.

I can't imagine it would be Rengifo.  Will probably just end up being "cash considerations."  Yankees just wanted to clear roster space and probably didn't want to bother paying him whatever his modest arb bump will end up being (MLB Trade Rumors projects he'll get $700K).

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Neither Fangraphs nor Baseball Reference seem to rate him all that well defensively.  They differ quite a bit on his year-to-year ratings, but over the course of his career, they basically have him at a neutral/replacement level defensive level.

I think the entirety of his defensive metrics is essentially noise.   He's played more 2B than any other position and even there, his career high number of game started there in any one season is 13 games (3 times).  I don't think anyone can say whether or not he's a good defender based on the metrics simply because the sample sizes aren't worth considering.

I think the one thing that can be said is that he's not yet shown himself to be Tommy LaStella bad at any position and is at best universally average.   But universally average at 4-5 positions isn't awful. 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think the entirety of his defensive metrics is essentially noise.   He's played more 2B than any other position and even there, his career high number of game started there in any one season is 13 games (3 times).  I don't think anyone can say whether or not he's a good defender based on the metrics simply because the sample sizes aren't worth considering.

I think the one thing that can be said is that he's not yet shown himself to be Tommy LaStella bad at any position and is at best universally average.   But universally average at 4-5 positions isn't awful. 

Yeah, that's basically my take, too.  He can competently but not spectacularly manage a few different positions when called on.

But as I said earlier, this seems like a nothing move overall, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets dumped pending other transactions over the off-season.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-tyler-wade-yankees-dodgers-20211122-xaxc66dr45cn7a5ds34nmkahpe-story.html

Excerpt:

In 2016, he was considered a top-eight prospect in the Yankees’ system by MLB Pipeline, but never found regular playing time in the majors...

Wade, who turns 27 on Tuesday, is a jack of all trades and a master of none. He has never been an above average hitter — and at times he’s been well below league average — but he is a great base runner who can be counted on defensively in several positions. Last season, Wade played second base, shortstop, third base, left field, center field and right field. In 402.2 defensive innings, Wade’s only errors in 2021 came at second and third base, where he committed two each.

In his five career games at Angel Stadium, Wade has gone 4-for-12 (.333) at the plate with two RBI and four stolen bases. His departure leaves the Yankees without a proven utilityman on the roster.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

But universally average at 4-5 positions isn't awful. 

That is a universe better than what the Angels were fielding last season. Until Marsh and Adell were inserted into the outfield the defense was crap. The infield defense (Walsh excluded because work in progress) was crap. All of the replacement players were not good replacements so having a glove first bench guy is going to help, even if that glove rates out as average it raises the floor. Small upgrades eventually pay dividends.

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I mean, is he?  Ha.  He's just a random guy.  Maybe has more speed than Wong, but seems like the type of guy every org has about 3 or 4 of.  He's also apparently arbitration eligible (not that he'll get much).

We have three or four guys like this?

1 minute ago, bruin5 said:

We have three or four guys like this?

Yes.  The Angels cut Wong to get him.  Wong was/is broadly similar.  So are Mayfield, Rengifo, Velazquez, and even Gosselin.  All of those guys, plus Wade, derive whatever perceived value they have from their (supposed...) ability to play multiple positions.