• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels tender Raisel Iglesias the QO (Iglesias rejects)

mmc

3 minutes ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

I hope he takes the QO. Let’s say he is on the verge of 4/48, even if he slips a bit he’ll probably still get at least 3/30 which would put him at even money. If he does well next year he won’t be tied to a pick and could really clean up. 

I hope he doesn't. That's a big chunk of '22 money. 

I'm hoping/expecting something like a 4/$64m, backloaded where it's something like $10m, $14m, $20m, $20m. 

Allows for a little more '22 spending. Stupid money near the end, but by '24 and '25, closers might be making $20m AAV anyways given the way Chapman, Kimbrel, and Hendricks have been paid.

• mmc changed the title to Angels tender Raisel Iglesias the QO (Iglesias rejects)
22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Could be indicative of nothing, but the fact the rejection came so close to deadline could mean he's been considering offers, sort of like how Syndergaard moved fast.

Could just be posturing as well. He would really like a multi year deal. So, if talks broke down he would be stuck if he accepted it. It's just part of the negotiations. At least now, he rejected it. And that puts a lil fire under the FO if they decide to continue a multi year deal or walk away for another opportunity... Or, he may be in talks with others as well. 

Until he is signed with someone else, I believe the opportunity is still there. On the Halos side 18M is a little crazy for a closer... When depending on other starters acquired you could deal from an area of strength and trade for a Hader $10M maybe and sign a Graveman and Loup for a total of 18M?

I could see the Dodgers rolling in and throwing serious cashe' at him! Jansen has been rode hard!

I think he knows what the Angels long-term offer is (they probably offered him weeks ago), but wanted to see the AAV of other teams' offers before rejecting. If everything was hovering around 11-13, he could accept and then make up the difference next year. The fact that he rejected obviously means he has offers close enough to $18 to make it worth rejecting. Just hope he gives the Angels a chance to match if another team comes in strong. 

23 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

... Or, he may be in talks with others as well. 

Until he is signed with someone else I believe the opportunity is still there. On the Halos side 18M is a little crazy for a closer... When depending on other starters acquired you could deal from an area of strength and trade for a Hader $10M maybe and sign a Graveman and Loup for 18M?

He's the top reliever on the FA market, if he hasn't got at least three multi-year deals on the table I'd be very surprised. And I'd bet all of them have a guarantee of a lot more than double the value of the QO too.

I'd rather trade for a closer than overpay for Raisel, he's going to land a big contract and we need that money elsewhere.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

I hope he doesn't. That's a big chunk of '22 money. 

I'm hoping/expecting something like a 4/$64m, backloaded where it's something like $10m, $14m, $20m, $20m. 

Allows for a little more '22 spending. Stupid money near the end, but by '24 and '25, closers might be making $20m AAV anyways given the way Chapman, Kimbrel, and Hendricks have been paid.

I’d prefer 3 years/$50 million backloaded with team option 4th year.

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

I was fine if he accepted.

I still think thought instead of a long term deal I might prefer adding 2-3 really nice BP pieces instead.

Maybe Melancon and two of Graveman, Tepera, knebel, Chafin or Loup

I think it would be simplest to re-sign him and not have to worry about finding another closer.

1 minute ago, Torridd said:

I think it would be simplest to re-sign him and not have to worry about finding another closer.

Agreed -- especially since I think we can get some decent depth in Free Agency and via trade. Even ignoring the possible closers like McHugh, Jansen, and Melancon, guys like Brooks Raley, Yimi Garcia, Andrew Chaffin, and even Hector Neris (whom I don't expect to be a closer going forward) should all be gettable without breaking the bank. All of them would be MASSIVE upgrades over what we were tossing out for most of the year. 

He's gone. His 2021 season infatuated any number of teams who think that he can be the missing ingredient to their team. Accept it and move on. Many relievers are notoriously inconsistent. Not to say that he won't be good, but age, wear and tear and past up and down seasons could be factors. 

The same money can be shrewdly divided between a couple of good relievers. Graveman, Loup, Garcia, Meloncon are veteran options. And there are other guys under the radar for various reasons. In this case, quantity and competition may work out in spring training to find the right mix. 

And if the starting pitching is further upgraded, it takes the pressure off relievers. You still need a good closer, but with bigger leads going into the late innings, fewer games will require the closer to save games. 

Stroman is my top priority still. Iglesias at a good three year price would also work, but you can't overpay and sacrifice other needs.