• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Nothing against Adell, as I think he’ll be a very good MLB player, but having someone who can man CF holds a lot of value.  It doesn’t appear Adell can do this, and Marsh appears to be able to do so, enough to the point that there is conversation that Trout will be asked to move to a corner so that Marsh can play CF.

Corner OFers are a lot easier to come by.  For someone like Castillo, who has two cost controlled years left and is an SP2 minimum, I’d trade Adell.  The key benefit is it would enable us to use payroll to significantly address other issues, too.

However, I’d be very reluctant to trade Determs or Bachman in the process.  I’d be more amenable to including Canning, Suarez, Barria, etc, but I’m not sure an Adell/Canning package is enough of a headliner to acquire Castillo.

Again not arguing, just commenting.

I think a legit middle-of-the-order bat is harder to replace than someone who can play defense in centerfield.

5 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Part of the deal with Castillo is his contract. He's got two years left and it's very cheap--7.5 this year and Arb next year. They could trade for Castillo AND sign Ray, Scherzer, or Stroman. In that sense, it's worth considering Adell and Bachman and a young SS (Jackson, Placencia). That's a lot I know, but the contract allows you to sign more pitching, and he's a frontline starter for 2 years. Side note--I'm hanging onto K Paris and E Vera no matter what in trade talks. Those are the two with the highest upside in my opinion. 

If they acquired Castillo, they’d likely use some of that saved payroll space to sign a corner OF, address the bullpen, and perhaps get a decent SS option.

If they acquired Castillo, I wouldn’t mind seeing Taylor signed, who play either SS or LF depending on need, given his immense versatility.  They could spread the rest of the money to then fill out the bullpen.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Again not arguing, just commenting.

I think a legit middle-of-the-order bat is harder to replace than someone who can play defense in centerfield.

Well, I should qualify it and not say “just play defense.”  Marsh’s minor league numbers indicate an above average hitter who gets on base at a high clip.  The power isn’t quite there yet, but the potential is certainly there.  That, combined with an ability to play good CF defense, is what makes him valuable

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Would love to acquire Castillo, sign a closer or back-load a Raisel deal, and then supplement with a cheap RF signing like Soler, Joc, Duvall, Rosario, and perhaps a cheap SP option like Lorenzen, Rich Hill, Danny Duffy as a flier to presumably replace the RF and SP we'd have to deal away.

All of that could keep us relatively close to the $180-$190m mark, so we wouldn't blow past budget.

Sign Cobb if Castillo becomes a halo

Just now, Junkballer said:

Because of previous reports that indicate that the Reds aren't interested in trading Castillo, I'm inclined to think that they are looking for over the top overpayment offers.

Either that, or if they really are trying to shed payroll, looking for someone who will take Moustakis as part of any trade for Castillo

3 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Because of previous reports that indicate that the Reds aren't interested in trading Castillo, I'm inclined to think that they are looking for over the top overpayment offers.

This is also the same team that waived a productive arm to a division rival and traded Raisel Iglesias for Noe Ramirez (just to release him) and a fringe prospect who likely makes no MLB impact.

They won’t give Castillo away but I doubt he’s impossible to get. 

11 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Well, I should qualify it and not say “just play defense.”  Marsh’s minor league numbers indicate an above average hitter who gets on base at a high clip.  The power isn’t quite there yet, but the potential is certainly there.  That, combined with an ability to play good CF defense, is what makes him valuable

I agree with all you are saying here.  But a pitcher like Castillo would very likely be more important to roster trying to WIN than what you are describing.

Lets be honest.  The Angels have not been able to win with a player in CF infinitely better than the level of play you are hoping for from Marsh.

I will take the pitching.

Edited by Dtwncbad

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This is also the same team that waived a productive arm to a division rival and traded Raisel Iglesias for Noe Ramirez (just to release him) and a fringe prospect who likely makes no MLB impact.

They won’t give Castillo away but I doubt he’s impossible to get. 

I think trading Castillo is a bit different than the other trade pieces of the past.  It sends a message to their fanbase about at what level they intend to compete at this season and therefore the return, presumably prospects, will need to justify not only the trade value aspect but also from a fan relations standpoint.  For all the reasons other teams want him, he is a great fit for the Reds also and while trade value might dip slightly next off-season, only slightly so.

36 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

If the Giants do sign Gausman, I am guessing their interest in Cobb wanes a bit. Perfect chance to bring him back at a reasonable rate. Seems like they didn't think they could afford him, but maybe he changed his mind a bit. 

The competition is fierce, I wonder if Jays go after Ray if losing out on Gausman.

The entire point of looking to acquire guys like Scherzer and Castillo is to contend right now and buy time (2-3 years) for our pitching prospects to develop and manifest and meaningful MLB starters. 

There's a reason the Angels drafted 20 starters this past draft, and guys like Reid Detmers, Davis Daniel, Sam Bachman and Ky Bush need that time to fully develop. 

You don't use them as trade chips. You use them to help bring payroll back to a controllable level after making an initial larger investment in guys like Scherzer and Castillo.