• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

I would love to have Scherzer.  Yes everyone saw he was tired at the end of the year.  Are we concerned about his age and his arm?  Of course.

But the reality is he still completely dominated last year at an age when 99% of pitchers are retired.  So he is an exception to the rule.  We don’t know how long that will last, but that is why he will likely be a shorter contract.

I don’t think he gets this $40m a year that people are throwing around.

Not sure what it will be but maybe 3/105?

Fans want a reason to be excited.  I can be very excited about the idea of having a healthy Scherzer/Ohtani/Syndergaard going into a postseason.

Fuck yes.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I would love to have Scherzer.  Yes everyone saw he was tired at the end of the year.  Are we concerned about his age and his arm?  Of course.

But the reality is he still completely dominated last year at an age when 99% of pitchers are retired.  So he is an exception to the rule.  We don’t know how long that will last, but that is why he will likely be a shorter contract.

I don’t think he gets this $40m a year that people are throwing around.

Not sure what it will be but maybe 3/105?

Fans want a reason to be excited.  I can be very excited about the idea of having a healthy Scherzer/Ohtani/Syndergaard going into a postseason.

Fuck yes.

I think a 3/105 is what we'll see.  It beats what Bauer got last year in terms of AAV.  I'd be surprised to see a team off 3/120, but hey, who knows.

That said, Scherzer is my #1 choice in terms of the available pitchers.  Even if he flames out, at least it would only be a 3 year deal (as opposed to 5 or even 6 years, which the other SPs will be shooting for).

36 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think the Dodgers know that they can replace Scherzer if he signs elsewhere. They have the track record. They might even prefer it but would certainly not let that be known publicly. They could go to Max and top off at 2/$50m (again, knowing they have familiarity and WS odds in their favor) and know if he passes, they could pivot and acquire someone like Sonny Gray, or an arm from the Marlins, or sign Kershaw or Rodon or a mid-tier guy and come out of it all just fine.

They’re very much in the driver’s seat on this. They got Trea Turner knowing they were perfectly fine setting a limit to retaining Max and had Trea as a consolation.

There’s also the off chance Bauer does return too.

I'd have to put the odds of Bauer ever pitching for the Dodgers again at 0%.  I just don't see any chance that happens at all.  

I think the Dodgers will offer Scherzer a very high AAV 2 year deal - like 2/80 or something like that.  Their style seems to be very high AAV, short-term deals.

I think they pushed to acquire Trea Turner as "Corey Seager insurance," so to speak, in case they can't re-sign him.  Even if Seager leaves, they still have a star SS in place.

Just now, Stradling said:

If it is Scherzer I’d assume that means no Iglesias, but who knows.  I doubt any of us expected them to spend $60 million on pitching this off season and that’s what it would be with Scherzer. 

If they sign Scherzer, I would be fine signing someone like Knebel or Yates instead of Iglesias to "save money."  As long as they signed/acquired someone, which I'm sure they'd do.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If it is Scherzer I’d assume that means no Iglesias, but who knows.  I doubt any of us expected them to spend $60 million on pitching this off season and that’s what it would be with Scherzer. 

The Angels have restrained themselves repeatedly in being willing to trade their prospects for premium pitching.  Given that, we probably should not be surprised by the team spending big in free agency on their biggest need.

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think they pushed to acquire Trea Turner as "Corey Seager insurance," so to speak, in case they can't re-sign him.  Even if Seager leaves, they still have a star SS in place.

This can be true, as can having Trea as a consolation prize if Scherzer walks. 

I'm sure they'd love to bring Scherzer back and will make a competitive offer, but I don't think they get into a bidding war for Max. They know they can address their needs in more creative, frugal ways, and they likely also recognize that doing it that way might be wiser. 

Saw a tweet that the Yanks were getting calls on Joey Gallo from an AL West team. Almost certainly the Mariners, but if he could be had cheaply he'd be an interesting add in RF. In fact, I'd say the Mariners deal for Adam Frazier almost perfectly parallels what could be on the table for the Yankees...an org moving on from a deadline acquisition for no real reason besides saying "eh, didn't work out". 

If it was essentially a salary dump, you could maybe get him for some fringe, cheap MLB-ready players and a very low-level lotto ticket or two.

And yeah, lots of strikeouts, but Joey Gallo walked 111 times last year. The entire Angels team walked 464. 
After Ohtani's 96 walks, next up was Jared Walsh with 48. Even with 213 strikeouts (holy shit) he was a 4.7 bWAR player.

Edited by totdprods