• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I’d read something about Davis being great this year at SS and something about Wade being defense first. If not great then good defensively. Iglesias had very little lateral range this season for some reason but I hope that one of these two takes the job over Rengifo or we add.

It funny for the eye test as it relates to defense as I watched Igelsias and saw a guy who looked like a premier defender to me but looked out of position where he had to range over to balls that he should have been in a spot to handle.  Stuff up the middle in particular.  If the expectation is that Davis or Wade are going to be any better than I'd think everyone needs to reset their expectation.  

I would actually take someone like Igelsias back as long as the positioning issue is fixed.  There was some small sample data from the fielding bible that actually took into account the starting point for the Angels defensive players and it showed that they were actually very good.  From where they started.  

At the end of the day, I think Iglesias is a much better defender than the two being mentioned and unless the positioning changes there will be no improvement and in fact, it could get worse.  

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Stroman has hinted in the past he wouldn't mind playing for the Angels, has expressed his admiration of Joe Maddon, is a huge fan of Mike Trout, has a history with Perry Minasian, Noah Syndergaard and Aaron Loup, and fits the ground ball, quantity in IP approach that Perry is looking for. Perry also seems to be big on clubhouse chemistry and Stroman is well liked. 

I'm guessing he'll be signing with the Angels sometime in the next five days, before December 1, and it'll be a five year, 110 million dollar contract. Which will stun some in the industry, feeling that he left some on the table, which maybe he did, maybe he didn't. 

I have no idea. But to me all signs point to Stroman as well (the ones you listed)

Not to mention the mickey calloway signing last year, along with Mr Met this year

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I have no idea. But to me all signs point to Stroman as well (the ones you listed)

Not to mention the mickey calloway signing last year, along with Mr Met this year

Something that is worth considering is there's probably value in signing pitchers who come from subpar analytic teams (like the Mets) vs signing guys coming from great analytic teams (Giants, Dodgers, Rays, etc).  Likely guys from the former can still be improved and see superior results, whereas guys from the latter are probably close to being maxed out in terms of their potential and may regress after being signed.

For that reason, it would perhaps be more worthwhile to get someone like Stroman vs someone like Gausman.

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It funny for the eye test as it relates to defense as I watched Igelsias and saw a guy who looked like a premier defender to me but looked out of position where he had to range over to balls that he should have been in a spot to handle.  Stuff up the middle in particular.  If the expectation is that Davis or Wade are going to be any better than I'd think everyone needs to reset their expectation.  

I would actually take someone like Igelsias back as long as the positioning issue is fixed.  There was some small sample data from the fielding bible that actually took into account the starting point for the Angels defensive players and it showed that they were actually very good.  From where they started.  

At the end of the day, I think Iglesias is a much better defender than the two being mentioned and unless the positioning changes there will be no improvement and in fact, it could get worse.  

I'd be okay with Iglesias being re-signed to a "prove it" deal, a la a 1/3 type contract.  He had a good year the year before and would have incentive to re-enter the free agency market the year after all the big SSs are signed.

If signing Iglesias is a result of us spending a good chunk of money to address our critical needs (SP, RP), I'm fine with that.  Let him, Rengifo, and Tyler all compete and if any of those 3 emerges, ride the hot hand.

3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

What do you not like, out of curiosity, about stroman? And not saying that to imply anything, just curios.

@Inside Pitch hasnt chimed in either, so it makes me anxious

the cost.  It's gonna take 5 years + and 100m+.  I think he settles in as a 4-4.2 era guy for his age 31-35 seasons at best.  And one of his biggest assets is using the defense around him.  He doesn't miss bats.  Unless they think he's got another gear then he'll end up a #3 and I fear his age 33-35 seasons.  Some also mention that he's 5'7".  That's not as big a concern for me but innings sustainability could also pull from his value.