• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

29 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Baez would never play OF or 3B for us for anything more than an inning here or there. Not with our lack of major league MINF depth. Whether he plays 2nd or SS would be up to Maddon. Fletcher would probably hold down the other spot and Wade would also spell them both. But I still don’t like. Baez.

depends on price.  I'm not a huge fan but that was presuming he's gonna want 9 figures.  He's a tremendous defender.  Way better than Taylor even though Taylor is very versatile.   He had an outlier short season in 2020 but otherwise he's been about a 4 WAR player the last 3 of 4 years and he's still only 29.  If he ends up a bargain because of his high K rate and lack of OBP then I think he's someone I'd consider.  

And he would definitely be the starting SS. 

That little stint of a high obp with the mets has my interest peaked a bit.  But the price has to be right.  

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

depends on price.  I'm not a huge fan but that was presuming he's gonna want 9 figures.  He's a tremendous defender.  Way better than Taylor even though Taylor is very versatile.   He had an outlier short season in 2020 but otherwise he's been about a 4 WAR player the last 3 of 4 years and he's still only 29.  If he ends up a bargain because of his high K rate and lack of OBP then I think he's someone I'd consider.  

And he would definitely be the starting SS. 

That little stint of a high obp with the mets has my interest peaked a bit.  But the price has to be right.  

The OBP is an outlier. You and I both want a SS but after the Loup pen signing and the Wade addition I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Iglesias and another starters gonna be all she wrote.

15 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Do you think his pitch to trout was, “mike you’ll have the opportunity to play with the best player in the world…yourself. We plan on batting you 2nd 3rd and 4th in the same lineup”. 

Maybe more like…”Mike have you ever seen the movie the Benchwarmers???”

30 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Is anyone worried of adding Marcus Stroman to our team as our big pitching acquisition and the defense remains just as bad in the infield?

the defense being as bad as it was last year is by far my primary concern for this team.  But I look around and see good defenders at pretty much every position and have to think it's the scheme and not the just the players.  How that gets better should be a pretty easy fix and could account for a huge improvement for this team.  Personally think there is at least a 5 win improvement that could come just from that and I'm both hopeful and concerned.  

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

The OBP is an outlier. You and I both want a SS but after the Loup pen signing and the Wade addition I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Iglesias and another starters gonna be all she wrote.

you're probably correct about the Angels adding a legit SS and that would be a shame.  

Baez obp with the mets was an outlier last year for sure but what has been fairly consistent is that he's a 4 win player and he's yet 29.  If you can get him for less than it would normally cost for a 4 win player then I'd consider it.  If someone pays retail for him then forget it.  

I guess my question is whether you'd pay 15m for a premier defender at SS that's basically David Fletcher with power.   I would.  I think he'll cost more than that but frankly, if he doesn't then it's a missed opportunity.  

23 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

What is everyone’s interest level in Rodon?  The upside is there.  Do you have the stomach for the risk?

No thanks. I think in order of preference, dollars notwithstanding (but assuming Scherzer isn’t an option due to cost), I’d go: 

Gausman

Stroman

Ray

Gray

Greinke

Kluber 

35 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Mad Max

Gausman

Ray

Stroman

Gray

Greinke

For me, not assuming Mad Max is out. I just got a hope that Arte is willing to go balls to the wall this year to fully commit to building a winning team around Trout and Ohtani. 

My main concern about signing Scherzer is that it may lead to prematurely trading Marsh/Adell in order to fill out the rest of the team's needs, or that they go bargain basement for those spots, including the bullpen.

12 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Is anyone worried of adding Marcus Stroman to our team as our big pitching acquisition and the defense remains just as bad in the infield?

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

the defense being as bad as it was last year is by far my primary concern for this team.  But I look around and see good defenders at pretty much every position and have to think it's the scheme and not the just the players.  How that gets better should be a pretty easy fix and could account for a huge improvement for this team.  Personally think there is at least a 5 win improvement that could come just from that and I'm both hopeful and concerned.  

Doc I agree, range wise we have the guys that can go get it at the corners and Fletch has solid footwork and a quick cross over. I believe his glove side negative in OAA is based on the ability of Walsh being able to get to the balls in the hole. And the ones he can't due to the over-shift tends to place Fletch in a spot where his tenacity gets the best of him. And even though he goes after them and sometimes makes the play. It negatively affects his grades. Which is why I'm not a huge fan of analytics but base my thought process more on the eye test in certain situations.

Now on players I watch readily I base my thoughts on range, lateral quickness, foot quickness, and ability to plant and move rapidly in changing direction, and transfer of ball glove to throwing hand. (Iglesias couldn't do much of that) (Simba could) (Fletcher can) the guy I like is (Nick Ahmed defensively) (haven't seen enough of Wade).

It also has 100% to do with the organizational philosophy and setup for defense. Which was also different when we had Alfredo.

The whole premise is everything should be cohesive across the board as everything should work together when you are playing defense. From setup, pitching, catching etc. It is kind of all over the place and hasn't worked together.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

What is everyone’s interest level in Rodon?  The upside is there.  Do you have the stomach for the risk?

Not with Syndergaard as the other starter. They need one solid reliable elite guy… Scherzer or Stroman for me then Ray or Gausman.