• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

It just feels like something is happening today.

Can anyone get an update on the cars parked from Roger?

I actually drive by the stadium every morning between 7:15 and 7:30 a.m.  There are usually around 10-12 cars in the lot by the offices every day. Today was no different.  The morning they announced the Syndergaard signing - there was definitely more.

Edited by True Grich

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Jon Gray is a hard thrower which is what the Angels typically go after. Also they don’t need two more starters. With Sandoval, Suarez, Barria, Detmers, Canning, Naughton, and Junk… plus other minor league guys on their way up… they’ll be fine with one more add.

Do you pay Gausman 5 or 6 years 150? Or Stroman 

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Do you pay Gausman 5 or 6 years 150? Or Stroman 

If it were my choice, I'd pay Stroman, even though he's not the hard thrower. He has a longer track record of success and more than two pitches. 

Gausman is a major question mark for me, and he's one of the two guys of the "elite-ish" FA guys that I want to stay away from. The "elite-ish" are the guys who will probably (or did) make more than $20M annually being Stroman, Scherzer, Gausman, Ray, Rodon, Syndergaard, Kershaw and Verlander. Rodriguez was next....though I doubted he'd make $20M annually.

Gausman I'd stay away because of his limited success with the Giants, his two pitch mix, even if they are a very good two pitches, and his age.

Rodon and Kershaw are no's for me because of Injury, Verlander because of Injury and Age.

That leaves four, and we signed one already. That leaves three choices, Stroman, Scherzer, and Ray. I'd take any of those three over Gausman, then go to the next tier if we're unsuccessful there or don't have the budget for it. (Gray, Cobb).

4 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

What’s funny is from syndegaard that he wanted to play with these “star” players. Yet Eppler had the same star players. Perry must be the better salesman while eppler is the goofy kid with his binder of stats 

We can see how good a salesman is when it comes time to re-sign Ohtani or lose him.   But to your point if there is even one... Syndergaard chose to sign here in part because of the star players that Eppler added..  Ohtani, Rendon.

I wish Eppler had come into the situation Minasian had or rather, I wish he had been the one named GM when they gave the job to Teflon.

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

Yup. Mets fans on Twitter don't understand why this is bad for the franchise. 

Cohen looks like a guy who doesn't understand how baseball works, is over emotional, and runs his mouth in public. Why would anyone want to work for him. 

I don't think Arte is a good owner, but even I am thinking to myself that I'm really glad I'm not a Mets fan.

Dude talks huge amount of smack to fans too..   Not he compares with other owner in US pro sports with that stuff.

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Gausman I'd stay away because of his limited success with the Giants, his two pitch mix, even if they are a very good two pitches, and his age.

Gausman, Ray and Stroman are all 30 years old.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I am comfortable utilizing his actual, fair trade value today to address a different immediate need.

And the person you responded to was correctly pointing out his "actual, fair trade value today" is at it's lowest.    Dealing from a position of weakness is good in what situation?

8 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Gausman, Ray and Stroman are all 30 years old.

I thought Gausman was 33, going to be 34 next year. Whoops, My bad. A lot of places list him as 31, and Ray as 29. Even though they are only a few months apart.

Still I have concerns with his pitch mix he has two above average pitches. Stroman has seven pitches, and is constantly tinkering. Either would be ok. 

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

And the person you responded to was correctly pointing out his "actual, fair trade value today" is at it's lowest.    Dealing from a position of weakness is good in what situation?

I suppose you never sell a stock that previously had a higher price?

Good luck with that.

Nothing I said has anything to do with dealing from a “position of weakness.”

Canning has a market trade value right now.    I am open to using that asset to fix a more pressing need, especially if the Angels can secure the better starter they are looking for right now.

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I disagree. 

Unless the "market" is a Bodega in Harlem.

Not sure I understand.  You don’t think Canning has any trade value at all?  That seems pretty silly since he is still young and controllable and has shown he CAN pitch in the majors.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Not sure I understand.  You don’t think Canning has any trade value at all?  That seems pretty silly since he is still young and controllable and has shown he CAN pitch in the majors.

I get that you think canning is more useful than getting other pieces but I wonder why you think that ? It seems like the angels need all the pitching they can get.  As it stands right now, if healthy Canning is going to be in the top 5.  Even if they add another guy he’s probably still in the rotation.  In terms of future value he’s probably as valuable as Suarez and Sandoval and of the 3 he potentially has the most upside.  

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

He has as low a trade value as he possibly could.

The only way he gets traded is if a specific GM wants him. Maybe there's one out there.

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I get that you think canning is more useful than getting other pieces but I wonder why you think that ? It seems like the angels need all the pitching they can get.  As it stands right now, if healthy Canning is going to be in the top 5.  Even if they add another guy he’s probably still in the rotation.  In terms of future value he’s probably as valuable as Suarez and Sandoval and of the 3 he potentially has the most upside.  

I don’t think the Angels need “all the pitching they can get.”

I very specifically think they need a top heavy rotation (and obviously enough other bodies to complete the rotation).